• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Rules of the Road

TR_Jim

Jedi Trainee
I thought all you MG owners might appreciate the new cover to the State of Illinois Rules of the Road booklet. Now how can we get a Triumph on there next time?

See attachment

Attachments

• 210674-rorcover.jpg
    210674-rorcover.jpg
    25.1 KB · Views: 144

ccougill

Jedi Warrior
nope, no Triumphs /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/angel.gif

If there was a tractor on the cover, it would have to be called "Rules of the Field".

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

"The MG is a finely tuned sports car. The Triumph....well....it's a tractor"

(flame suit on)

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Awright! Gotta be an MG owner employed somewhere in that organization.

RTR52nd

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
So am I to believe that the number 1 rule of the road in the state of Illinois is that you must drive an MG? <font color="red"> SWEET!! </font> /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jester.gif

Hey, Jim!...this was posted on an MG forum...be prepared!

And if given due time, our "esteemed govenor" just might mandate an MG law just as has suggested!

G

A very interesting site is nadaguides.com, where one can spend hours comparing car values today vs yesterday. Gives some insight as to where our cars are headed. This might be a bit off the current topic but it will settle some issues about MG vs Triumph. The good news is both our cars are enjoying a tremendous escalation in values, the tractor car perhaps a bit more than the Morris Garage.

Bill

In my opinion...

As there were more MGs sold in the US than Triumphs over the years, it honestly does not surprise me that the values of the Triumph may be elevating somewhat more than the MG...the Triumph is not as abundant as the MG in today's marketplace..and those survivors/restorations would be worth more (to the right buyer) because of this "rarity".

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Remember, the Triumph started life as a higher priced car than the MG.

mattmacklind3

Jedi Hopeful
Missouri has the same picture. When I registered my car, the worker at the DMV said what kind of a car is that? I had the guide with me, so I showed her the picture! Thought it was kind of funny.

As far as TR's being a little more pricey when originally sold than the MG's, I just read the article in Hemming's Sports/Exotic magazine about the 70 GT6 daily driver. The article says the GT6 undercut the BGT at retail by $100. It kind of surprised me, as I'll agree, it seems TR's were generally more expensive between similar models, and I would have thought the GT6 would definitely be higher than the BGT, not the other way around. The BGT might be a more timeless design, but a friend of mine has a GT6 (69) in my local club, and it moves out quite a bit better than the BGT, unfortunately!

Bruce74B

Jedi Knight
Yea? Well the Chevy Vega or Ford Pinto was hundreds less than either of them, but who wants one of them now??? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jester.gif LMAO

Bruce /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cheers.gif

G

You must compare apples to apples here. The Big Triumph, as the TR6 and down were often referred to, would compare to the "Big" MGB (actually never heard them called that). The MGBGT never actually had a Triumph that it could be compared to (unless you want to count the Dove, which is aftermarket and rare). The Spitfire line is more comparable to the Midgit line, but not really, hence the GT6 is sorta standalone. Performance-wise, I suppose you have to throw the MGA in the mix when you talk about the Spitfire, although here again they are difficult to compare. Interestingly, 94% of all TR6's sold to males, generally never appealed to gals because the clutch was tight and the Big Triumph was usually perceived more difficult to drive and park. Not sure of the breakdown of MG sales. The MG was generally perceived as more civilized, the TR more brutish.

Bill