• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Wedge Rover 3.9 in a Tr7

Got_All_4

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
I may soon be able acquire a 3.9 PI engine out of a Land Rover that is going to a bone yard. If I have problems with this TR7 I just acquired I'm thinking of making it 1/2 TR8 clone. Anything I should watch out for in these engines. Should I get the entire PI system or rely more on carburetors?

Banjo

Yoda
Country flag
If you want to use the PI you'll need to snag the ECU and the wiring harness as well as any related sensors. I'm not sure what all is involved in a swap to carbs on a Rover, but that may be the easier of the two solutions in the long run.
It's always better to grab extra when you're scavenging the Rover. Its easier to get rid of stuff you don't need later, rather than try to find that piece you missed.
Sounds like fun. I had this faint bad thought in the very back of my mind, that if I could find a rusty, but trusty Disco with the V8, I bet I could make that motor fit in the TR2......nah...hehehehehe

tdskip

Yoda
Country flag
Good advice from Banjo.

BTW - the 3.9 will really move the TR7/8 down the road. As in <span style="font-weight: bold">really</span>.

tr8todd

Jedi Knight
The engine is the easy part. It's the $2000 in other parts you need to install into a wedge that's the problem. It's not just a money problem either. Some of the parts you will need to source are very difficult to find. Here's a quick list. TR8/SD1 oil pan, TR8/SD1 timing cover, TR8 alternator bracket, distributor, exhaust manifolds or headers, dual exhaust, Rover V8 bell housing, TR8 shifter quadrant, TR8 shifter fork, TR8 release bearing carrier, TR8 clutch kit, TR8 driveshaft, V8 tachometer, fuel pump, some form of intake system, TR8 subframe, TR8 engine brackets, TR8 engine mounts. The stuff bolted to the 3.9, isn't a bolt in a wedge unless you plan on doing some serious fabricating and adapting.

OP
Got_All_4

Got_All_4

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
I think my dreams have been shattered. Got my TR3 to redo. Then there is a 69 TR6 in the garage waiting restoration. I think I'll be too old or too tired or working on cars when that Rover motor is ready to go in. Thanks all great advice!

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag

GBRandy

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Sorry. Just tired of the "I have TR7 with a Buick engine, Fiero tranny, 19" rims, Miata seats and TR8 decals".....sigh.... As a person who prefers the originality and history of the TR8, this constant assault drives me crazy.

I swear 25% of the list posts involve cars that have nothing to do with Triumph except the TR7 body shell.

There is a hot rod forum somewhere isn't there?

OK....Rant off, move along...nothing more to see here... I think everyone knows where I stand :smile:

DNK

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Randy.... ah, do you hate my 7/V8 with the 4.0??? :blush:

smaceng

Jedi Knight
Country flag
I don't really see what is wrong with a V8 in a TR7. Sort of like replacing a straight 6 with a V8 in a '56 Chevy. Heck the factory did it. I think that anything we can do to keep the British stuff on the road and have fun with it is OK by me.
Scott in CA

mrv8q

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Jeez, I saw a Corvette V8 stuffed/ lovingly positioned in a TR 6 yesterday at Triumphest.....

GBRandy

Jedi Knight
Country flag
I stand on the side of originality. Hackin stuff is fine. Go ahead....just not my gig. It usually ends up that all TR7's with any engine swap are suddenly placed in the TR8 category and more of them than not badged as one. As a person who works hard on the preservation of a stock FI TR8 I dislike that.

Chopped up cars designed and welded together by an owner in his own garage is not my gig...go ahead...but you do reach a point where it is Joe Smiths car and not a Triumph, MG or other model.

A TR6 with a corvette engine.... How to ruin two cars in one shot. Does he have a Corvette with TR6 engine in it and go to Bowling Green with it? Doubt it. Frankenstein car that belongs in some hot rod show.

I meant what I said & I said what I meant... :smile:

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
GBRandy said:
I meant what I said & I said what I meant... :smile:

OK, Horton!

("...an elephant's faithful, one hundred percent!")

CJD

Yoda
Country flag
I love a good swap...

....but a Rover engine?

That has to be the most expensive (parts) and least reliable engine you can find!?!

tr8todd

Jedi Knight
Count me in the crowd that thinks better is better, and a performance modified TR7 or 8 is better than an unmodified one. I reserve judgement on some of the body mods and paint schemes that make the car look ridiculous. My fleet includes a Sebring flared MGB, a pig cheeked BMW 2002, and the TR8s.