• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Roof install

algot1901

Bronze
Country flag
Anyone in Prefect/Anglia world have any wisdom on putting the top on, I have the bows installed but what prevents the roof from sagging.

LarryK

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
Most cars the pulling and stretching of the material keep it from sagging. Pictures of inside roof might help. Outside too along with a mounting area.

Bayless

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
Jim, I first put a light weight canvas or heavy duck over the bows. I followed that with a thin layer of polyester quilt padding. Finally the top is plain convertible top fabric. It has been on there for 25 years now with no sagging and still looks like new.

OP
algot1901

algot1901

Bronze
Country flag
I have purchased a 10 oz cotton duck canvas and also a couple yards of 1/4" upholstery foam and I bought a set of bows from anglia-brokers.com which for the most part fit ok I did have a problem with one bow which the dome attaches to. I do have a question about the rear glass, does it get installed from the inside out or outside in the gasket I got just does not seem right.

Bayless

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
Can't say for sure on the glass. I jook mine out a few years ago from the original rubber to prepare for paint. I do have new rubber and will study it for any ideas. My recollection though was the glass flush with the flange.

OP
algot1901

algot1901

Bronze
Country flag
We tried but decided that we give it a go in the morning, it is weird how the British build cars as the window is installed from the inside and trying to pull the string out from the gasket is a real struggle. Going to use soap and water tomorrow which might help. The engine needs a regulater and a copper line from the vac tank to the carb and wiper motor, the only iffy thing is the oil filter which was installed where the vac tank was fastened on the right firewall . I am not sure is it will pump oil up to it , time will tell so you take care as will I God Bless
Jim

LarryK

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
Put weatherstrip in bucket of hot water and see if that helps. The string pull is not real easy, just takes patience.

OP
algot1901

algot1901

Bronze
Country flag
Had the wrong gasket, had to dig deep to find the window gasket for the car with trim.
Bayless does your car have a crankout wind screen? and if so how do the wipers get positioned when you have the windscreen opened?
Jim

Bayless

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
My windscreen does crank out. With the original vacuum wipers, they parked below the screen frame on the cowl. That is, when they worked at all. After converting to electric (I used a motor from a later Midget), they just park at the end of the sweep (on the glass). I have a knob under the dash that I manually move them to the proper park position. There are two little chrome wedge shaped objects on the cowl that sort of lift them off the glass and over the frame.

OP
algot1901

algot1901

Bronze
Country flag
Can someone tell me what this is for, there are 3 of these and I think it has something to do with the front bumper?
100_0141.JPG

Bayless

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
Nothing like mine. I don't think there is anything like that on my car and I have probably touched every piece on the car at some time. Also,we need some new photos of your Prefect.

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
I think the top one is to make your computer work. The bottom one, no idea. (I'll get my coat)

:ROFLMAO:

OP
algot1901

algot1901

Bronze
Country flag
My windscreen does crank out. With the original vacuum wipers, they parked below the screen frame on the cowl. That is, when they worked at all. After converting to electric (I used a motor from a later Midget), they just park at the end of the sweep (on the glass). I have a knob under the dash that I manually move them to the proper park position. There are two little chrome wedge shaped objects on the cowl that sort of lift them off the glass and over the frame.
Do you remember what year Midget? I would like to chuck the vac into the junk parts box. I will try and set up my Google drive so all can get a look at what went on and is still going on, really wanted to get it driveable before winter we are close but that only applies to grenades and horse shoes.

Bayless

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
I don't remember but I think it is a Lucas 14W. Anyway I'm pretty sure it is the only two speed wiper motor used on Midgets. If starting over, I'm not sure I would do it that way again. It was a really big job and the method of moving it off the screen is less than ideal. I only think it is acceptable because I never intend to drive it in the rain again. Stuff does happen though. I think an electric vacuum pump might work just as well an certainly a lot easier to do.

OP
algot1901

algot1901

Bronze
Country flag
This is true, I converted a wiper system fron vac to elec and as you noted a lot of work, I have been for quite some time been thinking about this and I do have a Speedway wiper assm. and it might work but only for the driver. Supposed to get into the 90's next week so this will be my chance to get the top installed. Have a nice weekend.

Bayless

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
Wow, lot of god detail photos Jim. Now I can't wait to see the finished product.