• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Road Warrior or Garage Queen?

cutflowerguy

Freshman Member
As I embark on my restoration of the my 70 gt I have a question of everyone.

How many of you actually drive your MG frequently? If so, how often and how far? Do you use it for running Saturday errands or for overnight road trips with the Significant Other?

Thanks, Les

jaybird

Yoda
Country flag
I've put 12,000 miles on Emma in a year and a half, does that answer your question?

Every day that I can, as far as I can.

Yes
Yes

Emma is my vehicle of choice. Art belongs on the wall or in a museum, not in my garage. My cars are drivers and they're driven often and they're driven hard.

twigworker

Jedi Trainee
I drive my B as much as possible. The top has never been put back on since I have owned the car so rainy days are out. I also can't get Kathleen into it these days because of her sinus/allergy difficulties. Anything below 20 degrees also makes me think twice. Unless I have to haul a 12 foot 6X6 or it is raining I take the B. I would love to have a trailer queen too, but for the time being I have to choose a road car over a "looker". Jack

Steve_S

Yoda
I drive them everywhere. My '67 GT (grey car in my sig image) is my daily driver. I have other (older) MGs which all get driven on a regular basis, at least for weekend cruises if not to work now and then.

em754

I use mine most days back and forth to work, and Sunday drives. Not to the shopping centres though..........I don't want any trolley dents!

vping

Yoda
Bronze
Country flag
Working on it! I am trying to get mine going to use as a daily. It's a lot of labor trying to drive these and keep them clean. I've grown to understand that they should be used.

GB1

Yoda
Country flag
I also believe that this is dependant on where you live. For me being in NYC, I could loose an LBC in a pothole.

So I do at the very least do a once a month to the country.

When I lived in the country, the answer was all the time.

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
I play with all the preaty parts /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

OP
C

cutflowerguy

Freshman Member
The reason I ask is because I am thinking about a business model. I am thinking about approaching car clubs etc about a driving tour.

What I would do would be pick up the cars one evening, then drive to a really fun place to actually drive the cars. Meanwhile, all of the drivers would be in a nice van or bus traveling behind. (The truck would have to leave earlier due to DOT requirements.)

On the first morning of the tour, after breakfast everyone would hop in their steeds and drive a scenic and challenging circuit which will end up either at the starting point or a B&B type place. At the end of the tour the cars would be put back on the car hauler then returned to the town. Maybe even delivered to your door if the group is not too disperse.

The benefits I see would be: you could drive a really wonderous circuit while fresh, you would not have to drive the really boring transit section, you get two sessions of visiting with friends and the risk of accident on really boring stretches is removed. Any thoughts?

jaybird

Yoda
Country flag
Our club does tours and rallys, short distance and long, beginning in February with the Polar Bear (top down) Run and ending in November with the Lucas Night Rally. Probably a dozen organized drives and trips in between and twice as many unorganized ones.

Personally, and this is just me, I NEVER get tired driving or of driving. If we plan a drive hours from here, I'd much rather drive to the starting point than sit in a bus for 4 hours. Accidents can happen anywhere at any time, I don't worry about those. And there are NO boring stretches when I'm in my B.

But that's just me.

R6MGS

Yoda
61 MGA- Wife drives everyday as much as possible(in the summer only)
58 MGA-lucky if it burns a tank of gas all year
both 78 MGB's- lucky if they are started once a year
80 MGB- weekend driver
MGTC-basement in boxes
TR6- driver

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
I'd agree. ~IF~ we can get the time and the car assembled, it is our intent to go into Gatlinberg under our own steam. Same with most any destination. Drove ths B Tampa-Cleveland-Tampa, back in '92... and a 100 mile round trip to work 'n back for five years as well. Anxious to get her back on her feet! I'd get worn out NOT driving an LBC on a trip!

Scott_Hower

Luke Skywalker
Not a daily driver; I use it for Saturday errands and evening runs. Once in a while I drive it to work. I've got too many kids to fit into it /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif.

Steve_S

Yoda
Personally I would rather drive my car to an event or trailer it myself. But there may be others who would want someone to transport their car for them. It would be expensive though, considering truck fuel and such, plus the driver's salary. I think most MG owners would drive their car across the country. More expensive and exotic car owners might not want to do that, so perhaps they would take advantage of such a service.

Nunyas

Yoda
Country flag
my '76 is driven daily... well, not at the moment, but it will be again once i get the clutch squared away /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

D

Deleted member 3577

Me Mum has a trailer queen 72 E-Type.

It drives me crazy seeing it just sitting there in the garage.

I tell her that the static sticker numbers on the Elva could fit on the Jag....No problem. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Nunyas

Yoda
Country flag
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/lol.gif

I don't think i'm gonna be able to make it Steve_S. Hopefully, the clutch will arrive today, and I can get the car into the shop tomorrow. *IF* i'm lucky I *MIGHT* have it for the weekend, but I don't think I'll have it back before middle of next week...

Steve_S

Yoda
Have you made an appointment with the shop you're using? The job can be done in an afternoon. If you're taking it to Darrin's and need a ride back home let me know. I have some time off this week.

rulle7

Jedi Knight
Country flag
My Midget is my daily driver. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/driving.gif