• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR2/3/3A Requesting some picture of the outer Rocker panel

tallguylittlecar

Country flag
Requesting some pictures of the outer Rocker panel

Hi Everyone,

Progress continues on the 3. Going slow as I only get a few days a month to work on the car. I need some pictures of where the outer rocker meets the B pillar. The previous owner cut them out so I don't really have a reference of what they should look like after the final welding is done. So far the new floors inner and outer rockers are welded in place as well as new quarter panels toe board patch panels. I am currently working on a new rear valence and trunk floor. Doors and fenders are on the car and I am trimming and welding in 1/8 rod to get the gaps perfect. On the mechanical side I have finished the engine rebuild and now just need to figure out what I am going to do transmission wise. If anybody in the greater Philly area has a lead on an overdrive transmission please let me know. Appreciate any help and hopefully I can get some pictures up one of these days.

Thanks Derek

mallard

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Sorry no close up shot, hope it helps.

Attachments

• 222.jpg
    222.jpg
    48.8 KB · Views: 139

PKPoole

Country flag
Maybe these will help
2008-12-12 17.24.56.jpg
2008-12-12 17.24.56.jpg

2008-12-12 17.24.56.jpg2008-12-12 17.25.25.jpg

PKPoole

Country flag
Sorry for the duplicate pix. Didn't realize the first set went in. Also, I think I misread what you were looking for. It's going to be a tough morning! Someone call the home. I'm ready.

mgedit

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Young guy that did that part for me used a very thin coating of some sort of filler (his metal working skills really impressed me). I'd call it bondo generically. I don't know what "ice" is. At this stage, my input was picture taking!

Cheers, Mike

Country flag
I love "ice", it's a thin version of bondo and spreadable primer. Works easy. Covers all of the very small glitches in the surface.

Marv

charleyf

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Re: Requesting some pictures of the outer Rocker panel

Derek,
The rocker panel should provide a straight line from the body at the B post coming forward on the bottom of the car. The face of the rocker is NOT welded in place the welds are on the top and bottom of the length of the panel plus on the 1/4 to 3/8 " tab that is vertical on the top of the rocker within the door opening and against the B post ( also in the front the same thing against the vertical portion of the A post). The rocker face seam is open but if you get it right it is a tight fit against the body panel over the B post. If you ordered a new set of rocker panels these tabs should be on there. If this is not clear I can try to provide some photos as I am currently in the process of fitting the rockers to my TR3 project.
Charley

OP
T

tallguylittlecar

Country flag
Thanks for all the pics and descriptions. The PO cut out the floors and rockers so I have been going from what pictures I can find. The floors, and inner sills are from TRF, they came with the car, I think the outer sills are from TRF as Well but the did not fit as well as everything else so I am thinking they may be from a different supplier. The the rear tab that would weld to the rocker was a good 1/2 in short of meeting up so I am having to fix them up a bit.

Any chance of a close up picture of that shot? even on a painted car would help . There is a small gap between the outer edge of the b pillar and the rocker - should that be welded or left as is

Thanks again

charleyf

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Derek,
Before I go for a picture, I will ask if you have tried to fit the doors to the car? If you have that much of a gap I am wondering if the door is going to properly fit. Namely is there going to be an excessive space between the rear of the door and the B post?
The doors are your true measurement of the space between the A post and B post.
Charley

OP
T

tallguylittlecar

Country flag
Charley,

Good question, The answer is yes. The Doors are currently on the car, I built the car around the doors. Mounted them to the A pillar, set the rear of the car to get the gap I wanted on the B pillar and then welded in the inner rockers and floors, The two halves of the car were also bolted in place with new mounting hardware to make sure the body was sitting as close to its final position as possible. The outer rockers beet nicely with the front fenders and the outer rear edge meets well with the new quarter panels, but there is a gap at the top with the b post. Thanks for the help.

Derek

martx-5

Yoda
Country flag
... The the rear tab that would weld to the rocker was a good 1/2 in short of meeting up so I am having to fix them up a bit.

There are two different outer sills, and IIRC, the difference is about 1/2". Apparently, only the post 60k ones are available today.
https://www.mossmotors.com/Shop/ViewProducts.aspx?PlateIndexID=53130

When I first started my resto the early type was still available, and I bought a set, however, since my original body was so far gone, I wound up getting a post 60k body and had to buy the later outer sills.

OP
T

tallguylittlecar

Country flag
There are two different outer sills, and IIRC, the difference is about 1/2". Apparently, only the post 60k ones are available today.
https://www.mossmotors.com/Shop/ViewP...eIndexID=53130

Sounds like the answer to my question, I cannot say when these sills were purchased but I imagine it was some time ago as the car sat for several years after the owner abandoned the project. Could easily be he ordered the wrong sills.

Thanks for the info. Now if anybody could get me a close up picture of the outer sill meeting the b pillar it would be much appreciated. Just want to make sure I am finishing it in a factory looking way.

Derek

charleyf

Luke Skywalker
Country flag

Hopefully there will be some photos of the rocker panel attached.
CharleyTR3 rocker panel 002.jpgTR3 rocker panel 003.jpgTR3 rocker panel 004.jpgTR3 rocker panel 005.jpgTR3 rocker panel 006.jpgTR3 rocker panel 007.jpgTR3 rocker panel 008.jpgTR3 rocker panel 009.jpgTR3 rocker panel 010.jpg

charleyf

Luke Skywalker
Country flag

Derek,
my comments about the photos are that on this car lower portion of the B post panel was replaced. There is still some metal missing where that panel wraps around the corner into the door opening. I will use filler at the top corner of the rocker. I had to do some reshaping of the rocker to make it fit the B post panel.
Charley

OP
T

tallguylittlecar

Country flag
Thanks for the photos Charley, definitely answered my questions. Looks like the issue is my rockers so I am just going to have to reshape them a bit.

Thanks Again,

Derek

TexasKnucklehead

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Tall guy,

I'm only 6'1", but to fit in the TR3, I cut a little (about 3") out of the drivers seat (for a little head room with the top up).

I have a pre60k and used some new (post 60k) panels to repair rotted away sections. Since the holes were filled with wadded paper and filler, I have no idea what it looked like originally. I did have to make significant changes to the outer rockers as well as the dog legs. The pre60k outer rockers were curved (top to bottom and front to back) to match the bottom of the door. Also the trailing end was formed a little differently. I cut long pie shaped notches in the top and bottom of the forward sections of the outer rocker and seam welded it back together to get it to fit properly. I used a 4x4 and a hammer to shape a bit more. Not sure this helps, but you might get some ideas...

Attachments

• doorjam.jpg
    doorjam.jpg
    60.3 KB · Views: 90
  • reshape.jpg
    reshape.jpg
    65.7 KB · Views: 85
OP
T

tallguylittlecar

Country flag
Texas,

Thanks for the pictures. I have think I have what I need to press forward. Though it will have to wait until it warms up a bit. I am 6'6" and plan on lowering the seat cushions down a couple of inches.

Derek