• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Recently got a new toy

coldplugs

Darth Vader
Country flag
I bought a '31 Ford Model A pickup recently and a friend & I spent much of today messing around with it. It isn't registered yet so we couldn't venture out onto public roads but it's pretty happy on dirt. Much fun to drive and seems tight - no rattles - and best of all, the brakes are excellent. It's green with black fenders and has the optional wide bed which isn't common.

The only problem so far is a small gas leak that I'll fix tonight or tomorrow, with luck.

modela1-1.jpg

modela2.jpg

Sherlock

Yoda
Country flag
Neat truck... I don't actually see that many of these anymore... And of course those were the days (1930's) when they made vehicles like this far more rugged, IMHO, not intending to start a fight here though /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Nice truck - but I'll never figure out why you guys are afraid to venture out on local roads when you first get it running - even without licensing....I just carry my purchase paperwork & am prepared to explain I'm on a mechanical test run prior to licensing.....never had any problems.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Toodlin' around Maine in the fall in that should be a gas! Nice.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
"Honest John's Used Cars"!!!!!! /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/devilgrin.gif

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
DrEntropy said:
"Honest John's Used Cars"!!!!!! /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/devilgrin.gif

Ok, I have to say it, a truck like that, gotta be

"Honest John Boy's Used Cars" /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/thumbsup.gif

Goodnight John Boy...

AngliaGT

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Come in & talk to our top salesman - Pedro".

- Doug

Banjo

Yoda
Country flag
J P Smit got to it first....
hehehehe
I was gonna ask if he got it up on Waltons Mountain. hehehe
But really, VERRRRY cool. I'd love to have one like that.
I want an early 30s something someday, and a Model A pickup would be perfect.
Have fun "John boy"

Steve

Staff member
Platinum
Country flag
A guy I know bought one of those, fully restored and very nice. He had it torn apart and made into a hot rod. Then got tired of the hot rod, and sold it for a thumping great loss! Pennies on the dollar!

At least the chassis, engine and transmission went to help someone restore another, but one less pristine Model A pickup left......

Banjo

Yoda
Country flag
ARRRRGGH!!! If he wanted cut it up and make a hot rod, Buy a fiberglass kit for pete's sake!!!! It'll cost tons less, look just as good, and keep more history around for the rest of us.
Heck there's companies out there making STEEL reproduction bodies!! so there's really no excuse for cutting up a decent original.
Now if it's a real rotten out junker, that's a different story.

OP
coldplugs

coldplugs

Darth Vader
Country flag
Banjo said:
...If he wanted cut it up and make a hot rod, Buy a fiberglass kit for pete's sake!!!! ...

Agreed. There's no need to cut up a complete old car to make a modern street rod, even though Model A's in particular are still plentiful.

So far, so good with the truck. There's a ~big~ difference buying parts compared with British or Italian cars. Prices are amazingly low and everything's available. Plus every third barn around here has at least some Model A stuff within.

(I wonder if anyone has ever fitted a Morris Minor rack & pinion setup to a Model A....)

John Boy? You guys are picking on me....

Banjo

Yoda
Country flag
coldplugs said:
John Boy? You guys are picking on me....
Yup... but only 'cause we're jealous

78Z

Darth Vader
Country flag
What a great truck. Looks to be in excellent condition. Lovely addition to your fleet.

OP
coldplugs

coldplugs

Darth Vader
Country flag
Hard to believe - I only viewed it twice but it looks like they kept the original shocks, steering, and brakes. If it's for real it sure is a sleeper.

Of course, we both know what then happens to the old Ford 4 bangers they remove, right?

bugford.jpg

Banjo

Yoda
Country flag
Ahh yes. That Ford powered Bugatti was at Watkins this year. Owner says that motor swap was done in the 30s.