• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Ray's motor is coming along

here's a few pics of ray's engine, crnak, piston, rods, cam, lifters, and Rivergate 5 speed back plate are all installed.

Attachments

• 13854.jpg
    13854.jpg
    78.1 KB · Views: 473
OP
Hap Waldrop
Picture of the Rivergate 5 speed backplate, complete with thier rear seal kit.
Unlike the Mini Mania rear seal kit which eliminate the block rear scroll piece, this seal kit form Rivergate leave the factory scroll alone, and the seal is just in addition to the scroll. The MM kits never worked for long on the race cars, we gave up on them years ago, but I don't see how this could be a problem, since it retian the rear scroll, and the seal is nothing more than a back up.

Attachments

• 13855.jpg
    13855.jpg
    54.7 KB · Views: 441
OP
Hap Waldrop
Rollmaster vernier timing gear set to dial in the APT VP276 slotdrive camshaft, also used APT's CF-04 chilled iron lifters.

Attachments

• 13856.jpg
    13856.jpg
    59.6 KB · Views: 426
OP
Hap Waldrop
Well, time to call it a day, Ray spent most fo the day with me, we fit his tranny to the custom pilot bushing for the 210 5 speed, and then trial fit the tranny, so we knew he would not have any issues when this chore came along. I bolted the Goodson degree wheel and pointer on to the engine, so I'm ready to start degreeing the cam after the British Invasion of CMP.

Attachments

• 13857.jpg
    13857.jpg
    66.3 KB · Views: 434
OP
Hap Waldrop
I will go over this, as most folks overlook this. Rod side clearence, turns out Ray's core had already been into, and the crank was .010/.010, and whoever turned the crank did a crappy job of it, greatly elminating most of the journal's radiuses, so I had a nice std./std core and we decided to use that. instead, we magnfluxed it then, striaght checked it, then taped the journal up and bead blasted it, then clean it again, then polished the journal, then balnced it. Since this was new cranksahft to assembl, there was no guarantee the rod side clearences were where we wnated them to be, sure enough #4 rod had hardly any side clearence, so it had to come back out of the block, and the rod side thrust surface were belkt sanded down until we got what we needed, we ended up being a range of .012-.014" on rod clearence, which is really good. Too little side clearence could lead too friction and heat building up there, which could cause a bearing failure, too much side clearence would let the oil blled off too quickly compromising oil pressure, .014 is considered optimum, so we're right where we need to be.

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Thank you Hap. Always learn something.

v8mgbal

Jedi Trainee
That is one nice looking engine. can't wait to see it in his sprite project.

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Would not think a few thousands would but then what do I know? Hap?

OP
Hap Waldrop
Glen_B said:
Doesn't sanding down a big end at this stage throw off the balancing?

Glen

Glenn you may want to search the thread "Rays rods" I balanced the rods, that why you see that machining on the cap of the big ends, I did that in a Bridgeport mill. The rods are all balanced ( big end, small end and total weight) to within a gram od ounce, the rod thread explains the entire rod reconditioning and balancing in great detail.

Country flag
I think Glenn is asking if you had to make adjustments for clearance AFTER you balanced the rods and if so was the material removed significant to the balancing.

OP
Hap Waldrop
Sorry, misunderstood the question. Balancing was the last operation, big end sizing was done before balancing, sometime you get a rod that that takes a recut of the parting line and extra honing which can easily reduce it weith a gram+, so I do balancing as the last act. The one rod I had to reclearence the side thrust area on was rechecked against the others, this time of course with the piston installed, the amount removed on the side thrust area was not enough to change the balancing +/- a gram. A gram sound like such a little amount of weight on a rod until you go to remove it, then you are astonished at how much material is really is.

mccalebr

Jedi Knight
A good day, and visit, it was!

Nothing like seeing the new engine to inspire me to get back into the garage and get some parts painted...gotta get some heat out there though or else the POR15 will not lay flat.

You just can't beat having a few hours to spend with someone who REALLY knows his stuff, and is a good guy to boot... wonderful day!

Ray

Attachments

• 13869.jpg
    13869.jpg
    61.8 KB · Views: 330
OP
Hap Waldrop
Ray, next time you take a picture from that angle, give me a chance to put a hat on first :smile: