• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

pulling the tranny on my tr10 wagon

philman

Jedi Knight
three days of struggling to pull the tranny out of my tr10; the book gave instructions to pull the tranny without pulling the engine. i finally gave in and dropped the front subframe assembly. 45 minutes work to pull the tranny vice three days. and i can get at the three bolts at the top of the bell housing without hurting my self or inventing new words.

now the tranny will be off to be rebuilt and the clutch in to be relined. only need to find a clutch slave cylinder and a set of front and rear wheel cylinders for the brakes. any ideas if the herald hydraulics are the same?

SpannerMan

Jedi Trainee
To my knowledge this car is substantially identical to a Standard 10. Have you considered posting to a message board or contacting a club - most likely UK based - that has an interest in Standards of that era (Standard 8/10)? Those were pretty common cars and I should think a large amount of support would be out there. Pete

T

Tinster

Once again I must show my ignorance of things Triumph.

What is a TR10? Are there also TR9's?

I only recently learned they made TR8's.

thanks,

d

Andrew Mace

Staff member
Country flag
Well, it depends....

I suspect your 10 is late enough to have the 8" front drums (earlier 10s had 7" in front and rear). If so, the cylinders and shoes should be the same as Herald. Rears (either way) should be able to use a Herald or Spitfire wheel cylinder and shoes. Note that the earlier cars had unique part numbers and show some detail differences. I do not know for sure whether the Herald parts can be used on earlier car; obviously front shoes will not interchange due to the size difference.

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Tinster said:
What is a TR10?
It's shorthand for "Triumph 10"; which was sold as a "Standard 10" in other countries. Not a sports car at all, more of a compact/economy family car. Offered in sedan and estate wagon models, but AFAIK not convertible.
Tinster said:
Are there also TR9's?
AFAIK, No.

OP
philman

philman

Jedi Knight
front and rear drums are identical 7" diameter. shop charged a pretty penny to have shoes relined and re-arc to the drums.

Andrew Mace

Staff member
Country flag
Ouch! I'm well aware of what pretty pennies go for nowadays! /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/mad.gif

That said, I'm not sure what to tell you. Truth is, it's an area I've yet to explore on either my Triumph 10 Estate or my Standard Pennant, which is mechanically almost identical. I know my Pennant has 7" drums front and rear, but I honestly don't know what the 10 has (it's been in storage for longer than I care to remember...or reveal).

The Standard Motor Club in the UK, as I suspect you know, might be a good source of at least information. They also have a fairly active Forum for the various models. But as I think you also might know, they cannot sell parts outside the UK, even to members. Maybe they'd at least know of a source, if any, for OE Girling wheel cylinders if they are unique?

I do remember at one point a vendor on eBay (here in the US, thankfully) who was selling what he billed as "Triumph 10" front wheel cylinders. I can't verify that actually is what he had, and I don't currently have information on who that seller is/was (sorry).

Meanwhile, Tinster, you can read a bit about the Triumph 10 at the VTR Triumph 10 pages, and you can see what they look like at my own site (in my .sig file below).

OP
philman

philman

Jedi Knight
i sent an email to rimmer brothers asking if the early herald parts would fit. will see what they have to say.

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Andrew Mace said:
and you can see what they look like at my own site (in my .sig file below).
Andy, looks like it might be time to update some of your captions. For instance, Ken Gano's 10 has been in my Dad's backyard for several years now ...

OP
philman

philman

Jedi Knight
i found wheel cylinders from a vendor in the uk. 12.50/each for the front, 14.95/ea for the rear and 24.95 for the clutch slave cylinder. that's in pounds mind you. waiting for some other vendors to respond. i wish they would give part numbers so that i could check my normal vendor in oregon.