• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Pro-Tec lining for my boot

adam90009

Jedi Warrior
G

On the other BBS we have kicked this idea around a few times. I have sen a couple of cars that not only the trunk, but the engine compartment and interior was done in something similar. Looked great to me, but the cynics say that the stuff will flake off and be a pita to repair. The key will be to prep the metal exactly as the manufacturer suggests. On my B,all three areas will be sprayed in the stuff. Just has to be perfect for a leaky convertable!

G

you mean your engine compartment won't be the body color? Gerry......What will Blake say
cheers.gif

Kim de B

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
What you need is some custome-mixed bed liner to match your body color. We've got a place locally that does that, I think.

G

heck Adam, I'm thinking about painting mine with POR 15 semi gloss black but have taken some flack about it
thumbsup.gif

Bruce74B

Jedi Knight
I used the POR15 for the interior this spring, along with foil-backed insulation and new carpet. I was delighted with the way the floor came out and am considering stripping the undercoating that the PO used in the boot and using the POR15 there, too.

Preparation is the key to the success of this product...first use the wire brush to get rid of loose rust and old paint...then POR's "Marine CLean" which is a great cleaner, but requires rinsing with water, as does the "Metal Ready" prep material that POR will sell you with the POR15 kits. Sounds like a hass;e, but with good weather, it is not really that difficult.

One word of advice...only open what you think you will use in one application...once the POR15 is opened, it doesn't last in the can! I did 2 coats of the entire interior (plus a couple of spills in the driveway) with a brush with one quart of the POR15. I had some left over that I used on parts of my rusted boat trailer without any prep work and am amazed at how solid it is.

POR15 can also be primed and painted with other products too...or so they claim...with proper preparation and planning. I am going to get another pint or two along with their primer and use my car color's paint in the boot...someday.

Bruce

G

Kim, you hit the nail on the head. When I do it, it will be body color, or at least close.