• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Just Curious - Where are the Old Pro's

SkinnedKnuckles

Jedi Trainee
As we all get older and assume the roles oF "experts" due to longevity, what's the status of the greats? I remember Kas getting an award 4-5 years ago (could be longer, but you know how time flies), and Dan Masters hasn't posted in quite so time. These guy's still around? Just curious, and asking as with all respect as possible.

BobbyD

Jedi Knight

Andrew Mace

Staff member
Country flag
Meanwhile, "Kas" is still very much around, and he's about to release his fourth new book, on preparing a GT6 for vintage racing. He's relatively active on an e-mail list of Triumph racers, and there's a yearly "Kastner Cup" vintage race that moves about the country from year to year.

Oh, and there's also his web site ....

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Kas is also still around. In fact, I believe he is working on yet another book about Triumphs, with more information about the latest high performance modifications, oil leak prevention, etc. No word on when it might be available, though.

And I believe he was at TRfest last year, at least briefly.

JIC anyone didn't know, all of Kas' recent books (as well as the classic "Competition Preparation" guides) are available at TRF:
https://www.zeni.net/trf/TR6-250GC/266.php?s_wt=1920&s_ht=1200

UmmYeahOk

Jedi Warrior
Not sure if this idea works with the "old folks" as they tend to be the ones all over this "new" facebook scene, but Ive discovered that with more and more people spending their whole internet life on facebook, forums (pretty much every forums Ive ever been a member of) have been dying. Even forums where there would be pages and pages of activity a day has suddenly dropped to one post a month, if that.

I personally dont understand why that site is so big with everyone. Its not like social networking is a new thing. There have been hundreds of similiar sites that came long before it. I wonder when facebook will become the new myspace, and people can finally move on to Web 3.0.

Will_Ringrose

To me you are all "old folks". HAHAHA I kid. I know its kind of an odd thing for a young twenty something to be into these cars.

TR4nut

Yoda
Country flag
Kas is definitely around, and has his own forum even. Not much traffic, but its mostly for the performance/racer crowd anyway. And the old forms of communication via mail lists are very much alive and active with the 'oldtimers'.

Our club just started a Facebook link- I think the appeal may be easy way to communicate/share pics etc - basically a moderated build your own website. But I really can't see everyone quitting this site for something like that. Hello, hello, where'd you all go? :shocked:

Brosky

Great Pumpkin
What's a Facebook? Some new smaller Netbook? Is it made by Apple?

I still prefer these type forums. I guess that makes me old, but not necessarily any type of expert.

UmmYeahOk

Jedi Warrior
I also forgot to add blogs. You see, rather than post on a forum thats on topic, everyone goes out and blogs. Meaning they pretty much start their OWN web site, which only THEY can start topics. So what happens is rather than have a community like this one grow with THEIR topics and THEIR comments, they are set in their own little world. A zillion of little sites, rather than one big one. In other words, if this thread was on a blog, do you think Id search for it, and even comment on it? Effort lost. And a "blog" site doesnt always have to be wordpess, or blogger, it can be myspace, facebook.

Newsgroups were dead long before Al Gore invented the internet. Bulletin Boards, pretty much what this thing is, was always where it was at (unless you found an active chat room on IRC or AOL) Why on earth would you want a zillion emails about people saying "hello" (which always seemed to happen to me.)

They have made the internet so easy that everyone can start their own web page. That normally wouldnt be a bad thing, but imagine if you will that rather than google "triumph forum" I decided that there cant possibly be such a place on the on the internet and started my own. And then someone else like me did, and another, and another. Now we are all competing against each other for everyone elses attention, which means this site, and others already here are also competing. The group gets split up. Rather than one big site, we now have several unactive little ones, many fail in their first year due to the lack of interest in the webmaster who didnt care to join a site like this one. Do they do it for money? No. After operating expenses, I dont even know if Basil here does. I have seen this happen time and time again. (well, ever since Web 2.0 anyway)

V

vagt6

There are plenty of LBC bloggers, many of them in the UK. Andre Rousseau's website has a good "links" list, as do a number of others.

Don't bury us "old" guys yet, we still got plenty of kick left, certainly enough to whip you young whippersnappers. :yesnod:

Back to my hole now, time for a nap . . . :cryin:

tomshobby

Yoda
While researching damper function and design I contacted Kas to ask his thoughts on the subject. He was very gracious and answered with both what he understood of the subject and what he did not know about it. So he is still there and being helpful.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
UmmYeah said:
<snippage with respect> Newsgroups were dead long before Al Gore invented the internet. Bulletin Boards, pretty much what this thing is, was always where it was at (unless you found an active chat room on IRC or AOL)

Newsfroups are still alive an' kickin'. Tho some of the original ones have become spam laden to the point of uselessness (alt.cesuim, as example). The accessibility is being systematically eliminated, chiefly because IP's are deeming whole hierarchies to be "dangerous" or somesuch. Verizon has dropped access to all alt.* groups' servers. Several others have done the same. Left-handed censorship of the 'net. Most of the independent providers have fallen off the grid since broadband access became nearly ubiquitous, we're being herded ~again~.
IMO it is evil and wrong. :madder: :wall:

Brosky

Great Pumpkin
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:]IMO it is evil and wrong.[/QUOTE]

Wait till after the elections and the "brave and honest" members of Congress get paid by the recording industry(s) (TV, Movie & Music) to pass Net Neutrality, which is royalty guarantee in disguise.

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag

Attachments

• 22862.gif
    22862.gif
    11.6 KB · Views: 309

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
It needed sayin', bro. :smirk:

Brosky said:
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:]IMO it is evil and wrong.

Wait till after the elections and the "brave and honest" members of Congress get paid by the recording industry(s) (TV, Movie & Music) to pass Net Neutrality, which is royalty guarantee in disguise. [/QUOTE]

Yup. Jus' call me Dick the butcher... :smirk:

BobbyD

Jedi Knight
My opinion is that the Mail Lists have taken a huge hit in terms of posts from just a few years ago. It wasn't unusual to get 75 to 100 Triumph Mail List messages a day. The 6-pack Mail List had less traffic but it was still a hoppin list. Now I think that many of us have moved to the Forums: BCF, 6-Pack, Wedge, Spit etc. VTR and Moss also have forums. What I'm wondering is if the model specific forums (6-Pack, Wedge etc) have now taken away from the general forums like BCF. I know if I'm away from 6-Pack for 24 hours, it takes me a long time to catch up on all the posts. It's easier to peruse a model specific forum then a generic one that has posts on models that you know nothing about.

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
BobbyD said:
It's easier to peruse a model specific forum then a generic one that has posts on models that you know nothing about.
But one of the problems with that is just where do you draw the line? Should the TR250 be a separate list? What about the TR4A IRS? It still shares a lot of driveline with the TR6.

Overdrives are another example. An A-type is pretty much an A-type, no matter whether its fitted to a TR2 or a Stag.

Better, IMO, to have the model in the subject line; and learn to scan for which posts interest you. That's how I deal with the BCF Triumphs forum, which has far more posts per day than Team.Net Triumphs ever did.

BobbyD

Jedi Knight
TR3driver said:
BobbyD said:
It's easier to peruse a model specific forum then a generic one that has posts on models that you know nothing about.
..................Better, IMO, to have the model in the subject line; and learn to scan for which posts interest you. That's how I deal with the BCF Triumphs forum, which has far more posts per day than Team.Net Triumphs ever did.

If only they would do that Randall........Subject lines like "heater control valve problem"........I can help with a TR6 but know nothing about the TR3.....I'd love to see people add their model to the subject line. So now I look at the name/signature to see if it gives me a clue. I seem to recall this same discussion coming up time and time again on the Triumph Mail List with nothing resolved.