• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Plating some parts - Heart attack!

Basil

Administrator
Boss
I took my front suspension parts (upper and lower A-arms, hub carriers) and my four brake calipers to get a quote today to have them plated in electroless nickle. Yikes! $500! I wasn't expecting it to be that high!
shocked.gif

JIM

Freshman Member
If you do use the aluminum foil, make sure to use the aluminum color duct tape to hold it on!
Jim
lol.gif

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
BAS-IL! Its only $$$'s!

OP
Basil

Basil

Administrator
Boss
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Dave Russell:
Maybe you could just ty-rap some aluminum foil over the parts or use aluminum paint.
grin.gif
<hr></blockquote>

Dave, you must be some kinda dad-gum genious! Thanks for the tip - saved me $500!

Before
arm1.jpg

After
arm2.jpg

crazy.gif

But seriously, I took a sample part (one of my upper A-Arm mount brackets) to the platers for a test plating. I had it plated in electroless nickle and I am very pleased with the result. Not too shiny. Looks like new. Here's side-by-side picture I just took the one on the left is unplated (just been bead blasted). The one on right is plated. Tomorrow I will take them the rest of the parts, includig brake calipers tomorrow.

mount.jpg

[ 10-16-2003: Message edited by: Basil ]</p>

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Waaaaaaaaaay too much free time, Basil!

OP
Basil

Basil

Administrator
Boss
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by CCM:
LOL Basil, when do you plan to get this car done?????
grin.gif
grin.gif
grin.gif
<hr></blockquote>

The current plan is: before I die
angel.gif

[ 10-17-2003: Message edited by: Basil ]</p>

mdallaire

Basil if you don't make your dead line do ya want us to bury you in it?? We could wrap it in shiny foil.
driving.gif

Steve

Staff member
Platinum
Country flag
Basil....I have a contact for chroming parts.....slightly different process but real chrome plating nonetheless. He says he will give you a deal. Let me know if interested.

OP
Basil

Basil

Administrator
Boss
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Steve:
Basil....I have a contact for chroming parts.....slightly different process but real chrome plating nonetheless. He says he will give you a deal. Let me know if interested.<hr></blockquote>

Thanks for the offer but that wouold be too far from the original look. They were opriginally plated in Cad and I am having them done it electroless nickle which appears to be a good substitute (not mant places do Cad any more due to environmental issues).

Basil

Dave Russell

Yoda - R.I.P
Gold
Hi Bas,

Couple of caution notes on plating;

This especially applies to highly stressed parts such as suspensions. It is less important on purely decorative parts.

The process of hydrogen embrittlement (HE) occurs with most plating operations. Hydrogen is deposited in the metal as part of the plating process.

HE removes the ductility from the metal & can cause structural failures of the part without warning if the part is under cyclic stresses, which suspension certainly is.

HE can be prevented by, immediately after plating, placing the parts in a a oven at 375 to 400 F & baking for a period of 100 hours.This difuses the hydrogen molecules out of the metal.

The plating methods which cause the most HE are chrome, cadmium, nickel, & electroless nickel in descending order. Chrome is by far the worst problem & should always be baked. Electroless nickel would be my only choice & you "probably" could get away without baking it. Depends upon how highly stressed the particular designed parts are.

I believe that many if not all racing organizations prohibit plating of critical parts such as suspensions for safety reasons.
D

OP
Basil

Basil

Administrator
Boss
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Dave Russell:
Hi Bas,

<snip>

The plating methods which cause the most HE are chrome, cadmium, nickel, & electroless nickel in descending order.
<hr></blockquote>

Well, luckily, mine was done in electroless nickle. (I got it back by the way and am generally happy, although there are a couple of small pieces that I want them to re-do.

By the way, Dave, I'm disappointed that you didn't comment on my implementation of your tin foil and tie wrap idea (picture above).

Basil
crazy.gif

Dave Russell

Yoda - R.I.P
Gold
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Basil:

By the way, Dave, I'm disappointed that you didn't comment on my implementation of your tin foil and tie wrap idea (picture above).
Basil
crazy.gif
<hr></blockquote>

I thought you could have done it better than "THAT"
Don't think you tried very hard. Must need more experience using tie wraps?
D

Constance Martin

Hi Bas,

HE can be prevented by, immediately after plating, placing the parts in a a oven at 375 to 400 F & baking for a period of 100 hours.D
<hr></blockquote>

I wonder if Mrs Basil will allow this?