• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Chrome plating in New England

Brosky

Great Pumpkin
I've seen several posts here and on other forums regarding the high cost as well as the poor quality involved in getting chrome plating done today. I'm having the bumpers taken off my TR6 tomorrow and will take them over to a company in CT that does high quality restoration plating as well as OEM plating for several kit car, motorcycle and hot rod shops.

Their work is second to none and they are expensive, but there is no real alternative, if you want quality work done. New bumpers are no longer available and the quality of some of the after market pieces that I've seen is horrible. Mine are in very good condition (no dents or rust), but are exhibiting the 32 year old look of surface scratches and dullness that just bothers me, so it's time.

I was able to locate another front plate holder from a 76 being parted out and while the chrome was pitted, there wasn't a scratch or dent on it. I'm going to have it done with my other and the bumpers and I'll have them close up any holes from the "rubber bumperettes", which I'll package away with all of my original parts taken off of the car.

My point and I do have one, is that here are fewer and fewer platers willing to install the environmental hardware needed to keep up to government regulations as well as being able to be insured, so the prices will never be going down. If you need anything done, try to do it sooner, rather than later as the prices will be jumping again in 2007.

OP
Brosky

Brosky

Great Pumpkin
Sorry Harry, that was rather stupid of me. It's New England Chrome Plating. I chose Hartford over the shop in Fall River, MA only because I happened to drive over to drop off my newly acquired plate holder and saw an OEM rod shop back a truck in and watched them load boxes and boxes of parts into it. The driver told me that he picks up there weekly and that his boss won't go anywhere else to get plating done.

https://www.newenglandchrome.com/

YankeeTR

Luke Skywalker
I asked a local plater to estimate the cost of doing a set of Chrysler Hemi valve covers for my hot rod and he told me $600.00....huh?

OP
Brosky

Brosky

Great Pumpkin
Front bumper license holder for TR6 was quoted at $125, which included welding 1/4" nuts on back to screw plate screws into. Chrome was not in very good condition and needed a good bit of work.

My bumpers were quoted at $400 for front and $500 for 3 piece rear, sight unseen. May be a bit less once they see the good condition (no scratches or dents) they are currently in.

hondo402000

Darth Vader
I had my gas cap rechromed for 40.00, seems the process was dipping the part in acid to remove the old chrome, polish the metal and then rechrome. I am in Charlotte NC

OP
Brosky

Brosky

Great Pumpkin
I guess that the key is in the process, as it is in everything. This site explains their process which is the same as what is used at NE Chrome Plating. I did verify that the nickel plating is being done at both for a true triple plate process.

https://nu-chrome.com/services.htm

bunzil

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
Paul - I did the front bumper on my '76 years ago and afterwards left the rubber bumpers in a box. I also did away with the front license plate bracket due to overall hideousness. When I had the chroming done, I had two small bolts chromed to cover the threads for the license bracket, as well as four stove head bolts to cover holes left by the rubber bumper bracket. The end result was well worth it.
The cops can bust my chops if they choose over the missing front plate, but given the number of miles I drive I prefer to take my chances. The car looks sooo much better without 50 pounds of black rubber hanging off the edges.

OP
Brosky

Brosky

Great Pumpkin
I'm removing the hideous (being kind), but functional, baby buggy bumpers permanently. The next owner can reinstall them when I'm cold and in the ground. I am going to keep the license frame, since it doesn't detract from the appearance of the front end, at least in my opinion. The original 1974 style stand up bracket was awful looking, but since I got the take off from a parted out 76, I like the looks of it with a plate and without the black rubbers.

Prior to plating, the plater is going to weld all of the holes shut except for the plate frame.