• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

General TR Photobucket

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
View attachment 53938

Here's the email I got from them...

Cheers
Tush
Note where it says "For a limited time...". That means they plan to jack the price back up again, just perhaps in smaller steps. I might have paid the $20 if they had done that first; but now that I've moved on to a different "free" service, I can't see any reason for going back. Imgur isn't quite as nice as PB (used to be), but works well enough after a bit of learning curve.

The "download album" feature stopped working for me even before they suddenly started charging $400/yr; don't know if that was intentional or not (but I kind of suspect it was). I did find a workaround that let me get everything back, but it's still a bit of a pain to use.

OP
CJD

CJD

Yoda
Country flag
Just got an email that my extortion payment expired...and so far my hosting is still intact...

We watch and wonder, what WILL photobucket do??

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
They locked me out about a year ago! But, I figured a way to copy my photos and transfer them to a hard drive. Looks like they only want folks who are willing to fork out big bucks to use their site. I wouldn't use PBucket again because of what they did, (without warning) if they paid ME! If they came up with a reasonable rate it wouldn't have been so bad, but they wanted $400.00 from me for one year! I won't say what I really think of them, too much respect for others on this site. :soapbox:

OP
CJD

CJD

Yoda
Country flag
Well, Photobucket took another stab at it this week. This time they didn't remove the pictures on all my old threads, but instead blurred them to uselessness. The good news, instead of $300 per year to get the storage back they wanted last time, they look like they only want $6.99 per month...like $72 per year. Much better value. Even USA Today called the move "holding our pictures hostage!"

SO...I no longer use Photobucket, except for posts that are 3+ years old. But...if there is still interest in my old build threads I'll fork out the dough to keep the old threads alive?!? Any feedback appreciated...

ckeithjordan

Jedi Trainee
Silver
Country flag
While I've exported and save the threads as PDFs, thereby preserving them for my use, I would contribute to keep the threads alive for others. At a risk of overstatement, they're invaluable, definitely more that $6.99 per month. How about a "go fund me" page? :smile: I'm sure others would contribute as well!

Frank Canale

Jedi Warrior
Silver
Country flag
You can count me in on keeping the threads alive. I have enjoyed them and will need them as i continue to work on my car.

DavidApp

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
I am on the count me in crowd. I still check back on things at times. I found the build threads a great tool and would hope we can keep them there for others coming down the rebuild trail.

David

JoeO

Freshman Member
Country flag
I would kick in too.. but will offer another suggestion... Since ckeithjordan has already exported why not find a better home for those? I know Randall uses google drive.. what about that?

Cheers
Joe O

JoeO

Freshman Member
Country flag
I would kick in too.. but will offer another suggestion... Since ckeithjordan has already exported why not find a better home for those? I know Randall uses google drive.. what about that?

Cheers
Joe O

Maybe even update the britishcarforum with a link to the new home?

OP
CJD

CJD

Yoda
Country flag
It sounds like the interest is still there, and thanks for the offers to help cover costs. I don’t mind covering it so long as someone is benefitting from the threads. It turned out even better, at $53 a year, so I sprung for another year of storage. We’re good to go...and thanks for the inputs!

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
I know Randall uses google drive.. what about that?
Just wanted to mention: I only use Google Drive for PDF documents. For simple photos to post in-line with threads, I've been using Imgur.com (at John's suggestion IIRC). So far at least, it's free and works well for me. I'm not sure if others are seeing ads, but I don't (I run an ad-blocker in my browser).

FWIW, I also discovered a way to grab photos from PB without the blurring or watermark, without having to view their site. It was originally a way to recover all my photos from PB (many of which were extracts from originals, which I didn't keep); but turns out it works for other's photos as well. So just to show off, here's one of John's photos, rehosted on Imgur

uuO6440.jpg

PS, might as well document this for the few who both understand and are curious:
Code:
set _test=%1
Set _test=%_test:~6%

curl -O --referer "http://s.photobucket.com/" http:%_test%
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CURL

ckeithjordan

Jedi Trainee
Silver
Country flag
Wow. Was that a scene from the movie “Alien”?

ckeithjordan

Jedi Trainee
Silver
Country flag
Aah. I got my movie references mixed up. It was "The Blob" with Steve McQueen (the hand double was John Durant), not "Alien" with Sigourney Weaver...

windsor

Freshman Member
Country flag
John your TR2 build threads were superb . Much better than any of the Roger Williams books that many of us have paid big bucks for . I'd be willing to purchase the threads on a pdf download ( or usb stick ) If you or the forum moderators could make it possible . The photos are much better with the narrative .

OP
CJD

CJD

Yoda
Country flag
Thanks for the kind words. At some point I hope to catch up on things I need to do and will try to consolidate all of them into a single downloadable pdf file. In hind sight that’s what I should have done to begin with, and then just copy and paste to the forums. I didn’t foresee the way Photobucket dealt with their storage problem by retroactively removing privileges. Oh well, live and learn...

PatGalvin

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Hello everyone. I'm back after a long hiatus from the BCF. I've just been driving my TR3A and stopped focusing on restoration as it's nearly complete and a lot of fun to just thrash throughout the Sierra foothills. In any event, I also received the numerous warnings from Photobucket and see that the photos I've linked to my restoration posts are blurred and essentially unavailable for viewing. I'd like to pull all my photos (yes, will be tedious) off Photobucket and I'd be willing to go back and upload (or link to host) for some of my previous posts. Or maybe there is another solution? Basically, I'd like to make sure my posts are still accessible to this great community of enthusiasts. If any of you have advice as to the best way to do this, I am all ears.

Thanks. I've got a couple years of posts to catch up on, but I'll slowly make my way through them. Good to see the same crowd still posting and helping their brethren LBC lovers!

Pat Galvin