• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

New old member.

OP
doc50

doc50

Jedi Trainee
Thanks, nomad. I've never had a British car with a weber (owned 12+ British cars with SUs, however)

I'll have to assume I can make this Weber work. Hoping here, fingers crossed.

Thom

OP
doc50

doc50

Jedi Trainee
Yoda, I'm thinking it will be easy to see if the diaphragm is good or not. I am very familiar with SUs and have had a dozen cars with them but I won't pay 1,000 for two new ones and don't feel the love of buying old ones that need rebuilt anyway. Webers have a long history of dependability and I've never had one so....onward!
UPDATE

Hoo boy, just watched a depressing 30 minute YouTube video about the legendary Weber hesitation. At the very end of this in depth piece, the guy says he's going back to SUs. I guess I'll start looking for a deal on H6's and a manifold. If they are better, they are better! Can't argue with reality.

Thom
73 Midget
"Midge" (Like the insect)

Rut

Obi Wan
Country flag
Thom,
You need a set of HS2s, not HS6s...try to find a set with the ported vacuum pick off on the front carb. Post on the buy, sell, trade forum, search eBay, etc, you should find a complete set with intake for $100 or so.
Rut

OP
doc50

doc50

Jedi Trainee
Rut, thanks. I would be thrilled to get a correct H2 set for cheeeep. I'll use your info and will be looking around.

Thom 73 Midget
'Midge'

Rut

Obi Wan
Country flag
Thom,
If you don’t come up with a set in a timely manner let me know...I have a set without the front port that use manifold vacuum. I’ll need to disassemble and clean them to make sure they are good and I’ll check the throttle shaft bearing surface for wear.
Rut

OP
doc50

doc50

Jedi Trainee
That sounds good, Rut. Do you have the manifold and linkage? I'll wait to see what happens on your end.

Thom

Rut

Obi Wan
Country flag
Thom,
Ill dig them out and check, but they were complete when I boxed them up. I’ve got more balls in the air than I can say grace over while building our house, dr visits, etc., so it might take me a week or so to get it done. Another thought is a set of HS2s that have been rebuilt with new jets, throttle shafts, discs, float valves, etc. and set up per the SU manual. These were going to be used on my 1275 in the Bugeye, but I also rebuilt a set with the port and used them instead and I was saving them for another 5 speed 1275 project which I rebuilt (ok, I’m nuts). They would basically be bolt on and tune.
Rut

OP
doc50

doc50

Jedi Trainee
Rut, no rush on the carbs. What kind of $ will you need for these? Also, how complete is the assembly: Manifold? Throttle linkage?

Hope the med stuff goes well for you. Been there.

Thom W

73 Midget, 'Midge'

Rut

Obi Wan
Country flag
Rut, no rush on the carbs. What kind of $ will you need for these? Also, how complete is the assembly: Manifold? Throttle linkage?

Hope the med stuff goes well for you. Been there.

Thom W

73 Midget, 'Midge'

Thom,
I hope to make a run to the farm this week to pick up the carbs for cleaning before I check them out...I lost storage on a TR4, so I need to load it up and put it in the barn. Let me look at everything so I can give you some good info on $.
My health is ok, it’s my wife Jo who has back problems. Her scoliosis has gotten to the point of collapsed disc, so it’s bone on bone with nerve impingement...just got back from the pain dr, but it looks like surgery is the next step.
Rut

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
Thanks, nomad. I've never had a British car with a weber (owned 12+ British cars with SUs, however)

I'll have to assume I can make this Weber work. Hoping here, fingers crossed.

Thom

Thom, I know the elsewhere you have a lead on Sus, but, in the meantime if you do want to try out the webers, it seems like you need to specifically search Google for sideflow weber carbs - as opposed to just searching weber carbs - this brings you to things like Minis and other LBCs.

good luck!

OP
doc50

doc50

Jedi Trainee
Thanks, JP, but I'm thinking I'll go with what I know, instead of dumping money down a (possibly( bottomless pit.

Rut, as a retired Chiropractor, my thoughts and empathy are with your wife. Rarely I would recommend surgery to a patient, but there were those times. Hope she gets relief. They have a few more procedures today, given the two decades or so since I was practicing.

NO RUSH on those SUs. I've got a lot to do on this project anyway. I'll be here, and I hope to hear good news on your wife's situation.

Thom
73 Midget
'Midge'

Bayless

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
So sorry to hear of your wife's back problems, Rut. I have arthritis problems with my back that nothing helps. It hurts a lot but I'm sure NOTHING compared to hers so I understand. She has my prayers that she can get some relief.

Rut

Obi Wan
Country flag
So sorry to hear of your wife's back problems, Rut. I have arthritis problems with my back that nothing helps. It hurts a lot but I'm sure NOTHING compared to hers so I understand. She has my prayers that she can get some relief.
Thank you! She started a new medication last night and slept until 4:30 when the alarm went off, walked down the stairs like she’s never had a problem and made it most of the day. I’m a firm believer in the power of prayer and we got up early to drive to a hospital in Birmingham to be with my sister and her husband. She had bladder cancer in the 1980s and survived that, but has been having issues lately with bleeding and urgency. She had her procedure and the Dr came out to report on her findings and said that everything was clear and that she must have been ‘living right’ because yesterday was her office day and today was her surgery day! My sister had made the appointment the day before...
life is good, Rut

OP
doc50

doc50

Jedi Trainee
Rut, lapsed Catholic here, who (re-) got religion after being shot. I again believe in prayer and will be saying those for your family. God Bless, best wishes.

Thom

Rut

Obi Wan
Country flag
Thom,
Heres a picture of the rebuilt HS2s with manifold and linkage...haven’t had time to get to the farm for the used set. These were rebuilt with new SU parts from Moss and the linkage shaft is ss, plus all of the linkage was cleaned and polished in a vibratory machine and clear coated. The dashpots were cleaned and buffed to a machine finish, so they are a little shinier than stock. The fuel hose is high pressure line with Teflon inner hose I had made up. The intake manifold has been cleaned and it includes the gaskets and spacers between it and the carbs...pretty much bolt on and go with minor adjustment. You will need a heat shield since mine was in really bad shape. How about $275 plus shipping?
Rut

Attachments

• 158ED9B9-14B8-4335-AABB-BD6C949DD9FE.jpg
    158ED9B9-14B8-4335-AABB-BD6C949DD9FE.jpg
    121.9 KB · Views: 45
OP
doc50

doc50

Jedi Trainee
They look good, Rut. Since you're pretty sure I'd need to rebuild the 'farm set', I will go with these rebuilt ones. I don't think shipping should be too bad.

Do you know if the jetting is for a 1275, and do you have the throttle linkage? The Weber on mine is just a cable and no linkage came with the car.

Thanks.

Thom

OP
doc50

doc50

Jedi Trainee
They look good, Rut. Since you're pretty sure I'd need to rebuild the 'farm set', I will go with these rebuilt ones. I don't think shipping should be too bad.

Do you know if the jetting is for a 1275, and do you have the OEM throttle linkage? The Weber on mine is just a cable and no linkage came with the car.

BTW: it would be good if you used USPS because we may be gone this next week. The Post Office would be a safe haven for the package till we return. Let me know the total, I will send a check and once you cash it, you can send it along.
Thanks.

Rut, let's use email for the rest of the deal. I'll get your address and give you mine. thomwessels ONE NINE FIVE ZERO @gmail.com

Thom

Rut

Obi Wan
Country flag
Thom,
They are set up for a 1275 and have the linkage. I should be able to put them in a flat rate box and it won’t go over $15 for USPS.
Rut

OP
doc50

doc50

Jedi Trainee
Sounds good. Check OK? Do you want to make sure on the shipping $ before I make the check out, or do you want to take a chance and have me mail it out tomorrow? Also, I need your address.

Thanks,

Thom

Rut

Obi Wan
Country flag
Thom,
Email sent with my address and contact info. Everything is bubble wrapped and boxed...I’m moving faster than I usually do!
Rut