• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

my barn find....

Aristocraft

hey there, new to this board because i recently aquired a new toy :smile: I am an active member of a few other boating forums, and look forward to learning here now as well. This car was in a garage of a gentleman for the past 18 years. he says he bought it from the original owner back in the 80's sometime. The car seams to be very complete and in overall good shape. I am excited to get into the restoration of this car. I recently finished a 74 etype, and will probably get going on this one in the late fall. I have the numbers of the plate in the engine bay on the firewall. They are 3233BJ8 and underneath that is 85049. If someone could tell me something from those numbers I would appreciate it! Here are a few pics to show you how I just picked it up.
Thanks and I look forward to being around.
Scott

IMG_0584.jpg

IMG_0585.jpg

IMG_0590.jpg

IMG_0589.jpg

IMG_0586.jpg

IMG_0587.jpg

Country flag
Welcome!

Steve Byers (here) maintains a registry for the BJ7/BJ8 cars, so getting yourself established with him should be considered Job One.

I believe there's a link near the top of each forum page.

I'm currently involved recommissioning a MKIII for a local driver; not a restoration, by any means, just trying to get the car and owner back on the road. Lots of pictures are near the middle of Page One: www.rfdm.com/gallery

If you have a question about your car, I can promise you that someone on here knows the answer!

GeeBee1

Jedi Knight
Welcome

That looks like one sweet barn find.

Pat

bighealeysource

Luke Skywalker
Bronze
Country flag
Hey Scott,
Welcome to the Forum, you will find a lot of help here ! I lived in ATL for 20+ years but now in Beaufort, SC. Quite a few guys in the Atlanta area and a very active Healey club chapter of Austin Healey Club of America. I would recommend joining it asap as those local members can be a big help. You obviously have a later year BJ8 and looks like a Phase 2 version with the rear reflectors. That's the vin and think the other one is the body number that you posted. Like Randy suggested, get hold of Steve Byers and he might have info on your car already. The British Heritage Trust Certificate is up to about $75 now but worth it to get hold of as Bob suggested. BTW, if you need a great guy to do any work for you go to Neil Estes in Decatur at Neils Restorations. Very honest and a true Brit car nut, you may already know of him. Nice barn find, seems like the only ones I have ever come across need to stay in the barn and be put out of their misery !
Regards,
Mike

Country flag
I'm guessing an early 67 BJ8. Looks pretty good to me, hopefully engine not locked up. You might get to at least be able to drive before long.

Congrats.

Marv

IanIrving

Jedi Hopeful
Country flag
One small comment only, the number is wrong, should have 5 digits, not four. It should read HBJ8L/ then 5 digits. It's a phase II BJ8 . The other number is the body number. Mine is a 65 and numbered 32419 so assuming it's in the 33??? makes it a 65 model. The heritage cert will give you all the details but you'll need all 5 digits to gt it.
Good luck with the resto, lloks like you'll have fun.

Ian

aristocraft, ok, ya got me jealous of your barn find, but please dont tell me you also own a 14' aristocraft torpedo, ill have ta hunt ya down!. :devilgrin:

anthony7777 said:
aristocraft, ok, ya got me jealous of your barn find, but please dont tell me you also own a 14' aristocraft torpedo, ill have ta hunt ya down!. :devilgrin:
thats it i was right ya dog you! just looked at your profile, i had a torpedo with a merc 50h quicky, ive been looking at them on ebay and craigslist, cant believe what there asking for them im a carpenter/cabinet maker been looking for one i could rebuild or do from scratch. :thumbsup:

OP
A

Aristocraft

Hey Everyone!
Thanks for all the great support and positive posts. its nice to be around like minded people. the Gentleman told me he had just had the motor completely rebuilt before storing it. So i am hoping that it stayed nice and dry inside...
Seems like it is going to be a great project, I have always loved the healey and etype lines. I just think they are timeless cars.
i will definatly contact the people and sites as suggested and get the Cert. for it as well. Thank you for all the help already!!

Anothony7777, Yes I do own an Aristocraft 14' Torpedo. Actually, I am the grandson of the founder of Aristocraft boats. So I know them well...
Since you are a woodworker/finisher yourself, have you considered buying one the the unfinished models? for $6900 all the woodwork is done and you have to simply finish it yourself... but so i dont come off wrong, PM for any questions, as my intent is not to sell my own goods on here...

I will double check that number. But i thought that was it.
Thanks again,
Scott

ps here are a few of the etype just finished this week. and also one for you anthony :smile:

IMG_0768.jpg

IMG_0824.jpg

IMG_0874.jpg

IMG_5620.jpg

D

Deleted member 8987

Ah, yes, the extremely rare sunroof model.

Funny...
Scott and Aristocraft.

Know anybody named Polk?