• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

1962 barn find

ragtop

Freshman Member
Happy New Year to all:
Yesterday I found out that a barn close to my house contains a 1962 TR3. I called the owner who stated the car has sat there since 1980 and was a daily driver prior to storage. I don't know the condition of the car but the owner stated it will turn over. I have a 69 TR6 but know little about these cars regarding any unique problem areas to closely inspect or parts that are impossible and/or very expensive to replace. I'm not the best mechanic around but can bust my knuckles with the best of them. I have a workshop area where the car can be repaired and sit around as long as necessary. Thanks for any advice and input - Chris

Jerry

Darth Vader
Gold
Country flag
Just inspect for rust. Most all parts can be found, either as repos or from wrecked cars. I would not worry about parts accessability. Expense, yes, stripping the car down and putting paint everywhere can cost a lot of labor and $2-10K. Depends on how much metal has rusted away. You are from a state that gets snow, so salt in the winter could do a number on the underside.
I have budgeted about 13-15K for my restoration. I will hit those numbers, plus or minus 5K. Yea, you just don't know what you will find.

Jerry

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
:agree:
Generally the engines and driveline are relatively trouble-free and inexpensive to repair; the bodywork is where you can get into some serious money.

Another point that has come up recently, the frames tend to rust from the inside out. While you are inspecting for rust, tap along the sides of the frame with a small ball pein hammer (or better yet a pick hammer). If the metal dents easily, it is too thin and should be repaired or replaced. Replacement frames are available, but not cheap and a lot of work to install.

Andrew Mace

Staff member
Country flag
Did you happen to get a commission number? When someone says "1962," it could mean anything from a 1960-built 3A that sat around a dealer's lot right up to an early TR3B (which, if "number matching" original, could bring a decent premium over an otherwise similar 3A)!

OP
R

ragtop

Freshman Member
I got to see the car today. There were more sheet metal rust issues than I would like - sills, floor boards, fender panels etc., not terrible but a good amount of attention needed. However, the engine was complete and the frame appeared in decent condition. I will be able to jack the car up for a better evaluation of the frame. My question today is if body parts from a 58/59 TR3 are interchangeable will a 62 model? I have 58/59 TR3 (based on comm #) in parts left to me from a friend that has body parts that appear to be in much better shape than most of sheet metal I saw today. If I could combine parts from both cars I believe I could put together a car from these original parts. I will take pictures on my next visit.

HerronScott

Darth Vader
Did you get the commission number on the car you are looking at?

Scott

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
There are some differences and limitations in swapping the sheet metal around, but for the most part it can be done. Assuming your "58/59" is before TS60,000; the most obvious difference will be the plinths that were added under the hinges for the trunk and hood, plus the different shape of the doors. The drivetrain and suspension should fit directly, except you might have to modify the rear crossmember a bit if the newer one is really a TR3B.

OP
R

ragtop

Freshman Member
Hey folks, I finally got back to the neighbor's barn to check on the commission number. The car plate read #TS 79864L & EB 78314. I believe that is a 1960 model. The car in my barn is a TR 38365L & EB 38382 which should be a 1958 model. Both cars appear original, sheet metal quality varies, some previous body work apparent and there are lots of spare parts. From my quick research the exteriors are very similar so parts could be exchanged. I still need to get banging on the frames for any serious rust issues. Neither car was stored smartly, interiors are trashed but intact, all non metal (soft) products will need replacement. Glass and lights are OK. A total restore will be needed. Floor boards in the 1960 car have perforations, I don't know about the floor in the 58 because it is full of parts boxes (this car has been in my barn for 25 years, stored by a friend who is willing to now give it me). Is the drivetrain identical in these cars? I read that the carbs changed between 58 and 60. Any other issues I should think about before making an offer on the other barn car? The owner is very anxious to part with the car, what would be an offer that would not be insulting? Thanks for any advice - Chris