• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Morris Minor?

TulsaFred

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
I've come across a Morris Minor 1000, 1960 model, that is solid but has no engine or trans. It's cheap.

I have the 948cc engine and smoothcase I pulled from my Bugeye when I went with a 1275 and ribcase.
The 948 was not the original engine in my BE and by numbers came from a Morris.

Would they be be a simple bolt up install?

What is known by this group about the Morris Minor? I think it's a cool looking little car.

Fred

Country flag
Ask Gerard. I think it mounts fine except the clutch arm is on the opposite side.

nomad

Yoda
Made a million Minor's and they were sold all over the world. Also copied. Think they are a great little car.

Kurt.

OP
TulsaFred

TulsaFred

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Maybe Gerard will chime in. There isn't much detail on the net about the car.

Gerard

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Hi Fred,

I can tell you pretty much anything you want to know. I own several and have worked on many.

The 948 and gearbox will bolt right in. The Morris uses mechanical clutch linkage and a different fork and front cover from the Sprite/Midget, depending on whether it's RHD or LHD. Being mechanical, the fork has to be on the same side as your pedal setup. I have however developed a hydraulic clutch conversion. It work well with the Datsun 5 speed, but will work with the stock equipment as well. You'll need different motor mounts and rear transmission mount from the Spridgets, and you may want a longer shift lever, but it's all pretty easily doable.

Rear brake are pretty much the same as the Bugeye except you'll find all the hydraulic lines are Whitworth, not SAE. 8" front drums can be converted to several disc brake setups, including from Spridgets. You'll need some special brackets to mount them however.

Diffs are interchangeable, but axles and axle housing is wider. Stock diff for a 1960 is a 4:55, but MM's have 14" wheels. Many people put 13" wheels from Spridgets or Vegas on them.

Two door model is fairly common, Pickup, van and 4 door are the most rare, Tourer and Traveller are the most popular. I have a pickup, 4 door and the Series II.

You'll find it to have as much or more charm than the Bugeyes.

Here's my latest acquisition from earlier this year. This is a '53 Series II, also referred to as a "split-screen" (for obvious reasons). These are quite a bit more rare in the states.

Let me know what questions you may have.

IMG_4071sml.jpgWP_000648.jpg

OP
TulsaFred

TulsaFred

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Thanks Gerard,
If I look at the car, what should I be on the lookout for? Any common areas of concern/problems? What about parts availability?
Fred

Gerard

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Thanks Gerard,
If I look at the car, what should I be on the lookout for? Any common areas of concern/problems? What about parts availability?
Fred

Probably the most significant thing to watch out for is rust in the forward frame rails. The windscreen seals tend to leak in the lower corners, and can cause rust in the floorboards, but can also drip into the frame channels, where the master cylinder is located. The combination of brake fluid and water can lead to problems. Since the MM's have torsion bar suspension, the anchor point for the suspension arm and torsion bar is in the frame leg, you'll want to make sure you have structural integrity there. Other rust prone areas are vertically at the rear fender edge. There is a shut panel there that can collect dirt. The lower edge of the boot lid, bottom doorskin, rear fenders behind the wheel, and of course, floorboard front and rear should be checked. The rest is the usual stuff with the brakes and suspension bushings, shocks, steering, etc. The steering rack is the same as early (pre-72) Spridgets, except it's positioned at the rear of the engine bay.

Parts availability is pretty near 100%, even most body and repair panels, but they mostly need to be sourced from the UK. There are a few US resellers, but it still all comes from the UK. There's even a pretty good supply of fiberglass replacement panels and huge selection of interior kits too. I stock some items as I order a lot from the UK for myself and several cars I maintain. I make a 5 speed kit for them as well. There's probably better support for the Morris Minor when it comes to parts, since more than a million were manufactured by 1962, and continued into production until 1971. There are many still on the road everywhere.

OP
TulsaFred

TulsaFred

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
sounds great, thanks for the tips!