• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Minilite Repro's for Sprite

irish

Have a 1961 AH Sprite (Han6L/6608). I bought 4 Minilite repro's and have P175/70 R13's tires on the Minilites however the inside of the wheels (front only) are being cut into (by a millimeter or two) by the edge of the nut on the end of the shock absorber arm as the wheel is rotating. This is putting resistance of course on the wheel rotating freely while scraping the inside paint off the wheel. This only happens when the stearing is turned to the left or to the right. The same thing happened when I had the car jaked up and and noticed some inside wheel scraping as I rotated the wheel so I am not convinced the tires have anything to do with it (I assumed wrongly that the problem would correct itself when the car was lower back to ground).
I know the Minilite Repro has a good reputation and I am pretty sure it is not the wheel. Could the problem be the shock absorber? Anybody else had this experience? Puzzled... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/pukeface.gif

Country flag
On most cars it is the nut of the tie rod end that rubs. The solution involves just a bit o grinding.

Country flag
Yes, a wheel spacer may provide enough clearance, but with 175's I think you might get rubbing on the fender lip on corners that induce roll.

Bugeye58

Yoda
Trevor, your car rolls in the corners?
I ran 185's on a '65, and rubbing was never an issue uness it was a severe high speed cornering incident. I don't think there would be a problem with only a 1/4" spacer. Especially on the front.
Jeff

Country flag
Never rubs with casual driving, but when diving into a corner (just before the back breaks loose) I have slight rubbing. This is with 165/70's and a stock ARB. I think I may need to replace some tired springs. What ratio 165's were you running? If they were smaller diameter, you might have gained some clearance there that I do not have.

PS in this part of KY, backroads have many 90 degree corners around the corners of fence rows.

Bugeye58

Yoda
Trevor, I was running 185-70's, not 165's. That was also with four new springs, urethane bushings, and tube shocks on all corners.
This car is in Northern California, and believe me it sees plenty of hard use on twisty mountain roads. I haven't gotten around to installing the Panhard bar yet, but that's next.
Jeff

Country flag
Do the tube shocks allow for the same travel as the levers? Do you have additional camber (this tucks the top of the wheel a little more). Overall, I think my issue is weak springs and a floppy ARB.

Bugeye58

Yoda
Trevor, the tube shocks allow for plenty of travel, and are adjustable. I have them set at the medium setting, which is stiff, but not uncomfortable.
I'm running about 1 1/2 degrees negative camber in the front, as I'm willing to sacrifice a bit of tire longevity for handling.
I'm also running a 3/4" front ARB, mounted in urethane bushings, and no bar on the rear. New front lower control arms, as well.
The car has a heavily warmed over big crank 1098 in it, putting out 92 HP, and pulls like a freight train all the way to 7200 RPM.
Jeff