• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Midget Overheating Problem

Monark192

Jedi Warrior
After driving it to work 10 days ago and having to add water in the office parking lot, other activities got in the way of looking for the problem. I was finally able to drive it around the neighborhood to see what happens. Not much is the answer. The temp guage never gets to N (it used to) but when I stopped, there was water comming out of the radiator expansion tank overflow(?). Any suggestions on what to do would be greatly appreciated.

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
I'd check the thermostat first. take it out, put it in a pot of boiling water to see if it opens.

could be a bubble in your system. Make sure you heater valve is on, with the car cold full your radiator from the cap at the front top of the engine bay. Try to sueezre out as mush air as you can by squeezing the lower rad hose. I would then start the car and watch for circulation in the plug hole. Fill as needed. reseal the system and check it out.

m

G

JPSmit said:
I'd check the thermostat first. take it out, put it in a pot of boiling water to see if it opens.

+1 sometimes when you run 'em hot, it''l cook the thermo and it won't open anymore and make it overflow. Change it out and run it again, bleed air and get it good and hot to check for your leak . Might not be a bad idea to put cardboard in front of the rad to help it run a bit warmer to help find the leak. Watch the gauge and I'd just run it in the driveway. Bump the idle up to 2K or so.

Billm

Yoda
Country flag
You may also want to look at the possibility of a blown head gasket. When the engine is cold fill the radiator up fully, leave the radiator cap off (for a crossflow leave the fill plug off) and start the engine. If you see LOTS of bubbling and/or the water bubbles out really badly then it is time to look at your gasket.
BillM

walshja

Jedi Warrior
you also mentioned you put water in the radiator in your parking lot, water will boil quicker than anti-freeze. I might try flushing the system, and adding the proper 50/50 mixture of water/antifreeze.

your problem may be that simple

G

Billm said:
You may also want to look at the possibility of a blown head gasket. When the engine is cold fill the radiator up fully, leave the radiator cap off (for a crossflow leave the fill plug off) and start the engine. If you see LOTS of bubbling and/or the water bubbles out really badly then it is time to look at your gasket.
BillM

a quick rev and a geyser under the above mentioned conditions is a sure sign too.

tweety

Jedi Trainee
Also look under the oil cap for the tell tale "milkshake" looking oil under the oil cap.

My '79 had a boat load of issues that were causing coolant loss and over heating. Blown head gasket, leaky water pump, no thermostat, leaky heater valve. All have been remedied now (except for the head gasket, which is bandaided with K&W head gasket sealer.

OP
Monark192

Monark192

Jedi Warrior
Thanks for all the advice - I got side tracked by having to replace a failed alternator in my BMW (did use the Midget to jump start it though :G) and so have yet to look through the options suggested on the car. I have been driving the BGT to work this week so that now has a soft brake pedal and a leaking clutch master. I'm having a bad car week.

OP
Monark192

Monark192

Jedi Warrior
Joe,

Access is a problem - I spent most of the time figuring out how to get to the two bolts holding the alternator on. I read a couple of suggested methods on appropriate BMW forums to get an idea but had to improvise (ie remove radiator hose) as I didn't have the special wrench needed to remove the fan per the "suggested" route. Summary - a bit of a pain but doable. Apparently the dealer quotes $850 to $1000 for this. With a remanufactured alternator from Pep Boys, I'm into it for about $200. Mine is an 01 325i. I decided to replace the serpentine belt while I am "in" there so will be finishing it up tonight. I am hoping the BGT survives its last day as a daily driver.