• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR4/4A Microplas Surrey Top.....Window Help Please.

malbaby

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Need to buy a replacement window for my Microplas surrey top which is scratched. Tried to polish out, but no good.
Can anyone suggest a supplier or have a spare one.
I originally bought mine from a guy in Texas?? a few years ago. It was a rear hassle to deal with him.
Any contacts would be appreciated.

poolboy

Yoda
Country flag
I originally bought mine from a guy in Texas?? a few years ago. It was a rear hassle to deal with him.
Any contacts would be appreciated.

You too ?
How many times did his brother die as an excuse ?

M_Pied_Lourd

Darth Vader
Country flag
You too ?
How many times did his brother die as an excuse ?
Yes, we've heard lots of stories about this guy haven't we PB!

Cheers
Tush

poolboy

Yoda
Country flag
Yeah, Tush, he made his rounds.
He went by a couple of different "seller names" on ebay, Tybalt....but they were all from Texas.
And there were different reasons given for selling his stuff...from out and out sale to things like bought but not paid for...to buyer changed his mind...to eBay's "second chance offer"..that's the one he got me on.
If he pops up again, just post the link if you are seriously interested in what he has for sale.
I eventually got what I paid for, but it took a couple of months and he was the nicest guy about it....never lost his cool.

TR3TR6

Jedi Warrior
I thought I had heard about every excuse for shipping delays, but I learned some new ones with this guy. He changed phone numbers, addresses, family deaths, etc. Then when he sent me a tracking No., it was invalid. Second No. he sent was correct but it took two weeks to get to me from Texas to Kansas. First it went to Arizona, then up to Michigan and Finally made it to Kansas. To top it off, it came into Wichita and sat there; they didn't contact me that it was there. The shipping method was Greyhound, which was very reasonable if you don't mind waiting.

Gliderman8

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
When I saw that guy's postings on eBay a flag went up. It didn't pass my sniff test.

poolboy

Yoda
Country flag
I fit an original glass Triple X backlight in the frame.
It wasn't perfect, but the glass shop made it work. I bet any of the plexiglass or acrylic versions would be easier to work with than glass.

TR3TR6

Jedi Warrior
Poolboy, did the standard rubber seal that came with the glass backlight fit the surrey top or did they have to custom make something?

poolboy

Yoda
Country flag
If I remember right, the seal came from the Texas guy even though I did not get his plexiglass window.
Wherever it came from, it didn't work with the Microplas frame and a TripleX window, I think it may have been a little too long.
The glass shop pulled something off their shelf to use.

TR3TR6

Jedi Warrior
I wondered about that, the seal on my plexiglass window was glued to the frame. At some point, the glue failed and I had to glue it back on to the frame. I didn't think it was the right seal since it didn't have a grove in it for the frame. It was just glued to the back side of the frame.

OP
M

malbaby

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Poolboy,
Just to be clear to me....the original GLASS window did fit the MICROPLAS back frame correctly?
Please advise where the glass was purchased from.

poolboy

Yoda
Country flag
The Triple X glass was on Craigs List from around Birmingham Alabama...a couple of people in the know brought it to my attention as being well worth the price.
I can't say it was a perfect mate to the Microplas frame, but it was made to work with the off the shelf 'glazing rubber' and a little ingenuity.

Tybalt

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
The Triple X glass was on Craigs List from around Birmingham Alabama...a couple of people in the know brought it to my attention as being well worth the price.
I can't say it was a perfect mate to the Microplas frame, but it was made to work with the off the shelf 'glazing rubber' and a little ingenuity.

poolboy, now for my hopefully not too silly questions. Are you using the Microplas hard center section on your car? Since I don't see the little "ears" on the upper windscreen trim plate where the snaps go, I'm assuming that you do not run the somewhat dodgy stock soft center section, is this correct? Finally, if you are running the Microplas hard center section, do you know if it fits the factory rear section and frame? I have a couple of the factory rear sections with glass and replacement seals (one came on a TR250 I bought, the other was in a big crate of parts I bought from someone) but no hard center section.

poolboy

Yoda
Country flag
I use the soft top, Tybalt.
If it gets cold enough or if I go on an 'out of town' (what town?) trip for a few days I put the soft top section on.

The fiberglass hard top fit pretty good until I had the backlight window installed in the backlight frame, then I guess the window pulled the frame so that the hard top didn't fit so well...so I sold it...the hard top that is.