• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

MGB MGB top [hood] frame suggestions.

aeronca65t

Great Pumpkin
Over the winter, I will hunt for some upgrades for my '69 MGB (mostly on e-bay, craigslist, etc.)

I think the top (or "hood" if you're a Brit) is original.
It has been OK for this year, but I doubt I will get another season out of it.

At the same time, I have been thinking about the design of the top frame on my car.
My car has the "scizzors" type top frame. It seems hard to fold and wants to pinch the top, no matter how I fold things. I've carefully read the manual and looked at various websites offerinng tips on folding this top, but it rarely seems to go as planned.
In my view, the scizzors type frame does not seem to work as well as the newer "Micholotti-type" top frames (on post '69 cars) or the older "erector set" removeable frames on early Bs (which reminds me of a Bugeye top frame).

Since I'll buy a new top anyway, I think it would be worth it to get rid of the scizzors frame. Yes?

And if I do change the top frame, what's better? The newer folding top frame or the erector set type? (and I'm guessing all of these top frames will interchange...yes?).

Ideas? Opinions?

Thanks!

Stewart

Darth Vader
Country flag
I love the pack away top I have. More head room and when it's not in use I can either store it in the garage or in the trunk. As a bonus when its not in use the back shelf is completely useable.

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
I'm changing all my cars to the pack away (erector set type)....at a minimum, get rid of the scissors-type & go to the Michelotti if you can't find a packaway set of frames.

WA1KWA

Jedi Trainee
Agree with Stewie - er - Stewart & Tony, the "Build It Yourself" as I like to call it, top is the best for the reason above. As Tony mentioned, the "Michelotti" (about 1970 - end) is the better of the two folding frames, it's actually pretty good if you follow the instructions in the owner's manual on folding the top correctly.

Colin

vping

Yoda
Bronze
Country flag
Not sure I've ever seen one. Does anyone have a open and closed pic? This sounds like a good idea.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
We've the stow-away one now, the other B's I've had were all 66~67 and had folding ones. I kinda like the folders primarily due to the fickle nature of Florida weather. It's a REAL scramble to erect the jigsaw one when it starts raining gatos e perros. I have it down to about a minute and a half but that is still more time than the folding style.

With a tonneau cover there's still a lot of usable storage space on the "parcel shelf" with the folding top, too.

WA1KWA

Jedi Trainee
'Jigsaw' top - good one, Doc.

Good point, Doc. Yes, my 'Michelotti' top does have space under it for storage, also, when folded correctly, by the manual.

Again, when folded correctly.

One of my pet peeves. Sorry.

Colin

Kensai

The only thing I don't like about the stow-away is the amount of time it takes to put up. It never seemed like it took all that long putting my dads stow away top up when I was a kid, but after having the Micholotti-type on my own car I think I would have a hard time going back to the stow-away. I rarely drive with the top up anyhow, as in Colorado its sunny 300+ days a year, and if its warm enough to put the top down without cracking the back window, it too warm to have the top up imo. I've considered getting rid of my top all together and just using a tonneau cover year round, but as the car is my daily driver there is the rare occasion where that might be unpractical. (as if driving an MGB daily is considered "practical" by most anyway...)

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Actually, putting it up is much easier than putting the Michelotti or scissors-type tops up! And putting it down is REAL easy!

Kensai

It's been about 7 or so years since I last used a stow-away, so my memory of how long it takes to put up may be a bit off.

clyderedmond

My '78 B is sort of a "mixmaster", since the previous owner changed out the bumpers for chrome and did some other modifications. I have a folding top, & its a real bear to get back in position - although lowering it is relatively easy. How can one tell the difference between a Michelotti type and the other?
I was thinking about going back to a stowaway, but in this area the weather is always a bit iffy.....

WA1KWA

Jedi Trainee
Somebody can probably do a better job than me but here goes:

If your top frame on your 1978 is original, it's a Michelotti. they were Michelottis from 1970 - end.

The other folding top, pre 1970 I have always heard refered to as the 'scissors' top. There is an arm on each side of the top that fold toward the center when folding the top, these arms look somewhat like scissors, hence the name.

If you recall the old Greg Khin Band video for their song 'Jepoardy'; there is a B at the end of the video with a scissors top somewhat carelessly folded.

Colin