• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

T-Series MG TF vs. TD vs. Morgan

johntennyson

Country flag
Long-story-sort-of-short: My Mom's always had a thing for the T-series MGs and Pop made noises yesterday about getting one. They're both in their 70s, but getting along really quite well. Pop's a gearhead, having owned an MGA, a 120 Jag and a Mk 1 3000 Healey, the latter being the reason I currently have a Bugeye and have just finished a Cobra replica. Pop's currently fettling a '53 Lincoln Capri, one of his dream cars.

Anyway, having never driven a TF, a TD or a ~'55-65 Morgan, which is, you know, best?

Between Pop and me, we can keep it rolling, but do any of these have any driving characteristics which make them particularly tricky or difficult to drive, like super-heavy ('51 Ford manual) steering, non-synchro 1st gear (Bugeye), inadequate brakes and/or rebound damping (also Bugeye), etc.

Also, even though they can both double clutch their downshifts, I'd be open to reversibly re-engining one with Duratec and a slushbox...

Thanks!

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
I'm no expert at any of these, but I'll chime in with what I know from my reading and a few brief drives. MG TD and TF are very similar. Drum brakes, pretty sure no syncro on first. Neither is fast in any way shape or form. Both are a bit tight inside (TF is roomier by a small amount due to the seat design), even compared to the Bugeye. Suspension is pretty good for the age; the front end that debuted on the TD lasted through the end of MGB production, same with the rack-and-pinion.

Parts are still plenty findable, but getting pricier. Engines are pretty durable and rebuildable, but again parts are getting a bit spendier. There are a couple options for taller gearing or 5-speed conversions.

I know less about the Morgans, but they're a favorite of mine. The Plus 4 had the Triumph TR engine, so they can be plenty fast for the era. Other smaller Morgans had usually a Ford engine at the time. Factory still exists, so you can get anything (including new frames, new wood). But at a price. Restoration of Morgans is not cheap as far as I've read -- fairly hand built in the first place, so lots of fettling if wood/bodywork required.

They're all great cars. Try and see if you can drive/sit in one locally.

AN5Sprite

Jedi Knight
John,

Sounds like you and I have a few things in common...

Biggest issue with a TD I could see is; a. if you weigh more than 100lbs and/or b. are a little older, getting in and out is not easy. Easy to drive though, steering is light, gearbox is fine. To me, a Bugeye is roomier-by a substantial amount, easier to get in and out of and at least in my case, much quicker- both go and stop.

The TF body style has really grown on me, much more than the TD . Morgans, I have no interest or opinion.

Flash_Harry

Jedi Hopeful
Country flag
If they might consider an MGB, the rubber-bumper cars are a bit higher - maybe easier in and out. All-synchro gearbox, fairly easy steering, lots of parts available. I'm 73 now and have a '74 chrome-bumper GT with a T-9 5-speed - very good on the highway. Maybe something to think about?

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
There should be no problem getting in or out of a TF! I know a couple 6 footers that have them and love them. Mine isn't finished yet so I can't comment it's handling. Mine doesn't steer hard at all, actually it's a little easier than our MGB. PJ