• Hey Guest!
    Yoda says: A FREE resource for the Little British Car community BCF is. Support us with an account upgrade, not many will (less than 1%) "Require" you to pay to play we don't, but if you find BCF helpful, appreciate no pop up ads, and want to ensure we stay online - Supporting us with an "optional" low-cost member upgrade you should. There are some benefits to upgrading!
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Seeing this UGLY banner, you won't)
Tips
Tips

Lucas VS Delco Distributor question

hottvr

Jedi Warrior
Will a Lucas distributor work in an '81 TR7 with dual Zenith Stromberg 175 carbs and used to have a Delco?
Thanks
Rick

I suppose it would. You'd have to use the entire system. the older style coil, wiring, etc. Keep in mind when you buy one that you don't want a CA spec distributor or anything.

iagree.gif
with Azual.

Another thing to considder, the Delco setup is a better distributor and has a stronger coil that makes a better spark.

Unless its just for purely economic reasons to get the car going, I would stick with the Delco setup.

Its only drawback is that the coils are expensive and can be hard to find. I don't believe there is a source that lists a new coil for a TR7 with the delco ignition, but I believe there are some crossovers from other makes of car that are still available if you can find a parts house that has something other than button pushing monkies behind the counter.

<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr> Its only drawback is that the coils are expensive and can be hard to find. I don't believe there is a source that lists a new coil for a TR7 with the delco ignition, but I believe there are some crossovers from other makes of car that are still available <hr></blockquote>

It's the same coil as a 1985 Peugeot 505. On a whim, I did a web search for Peugeot parts and found a couple places that list them new.

[ 05-12-2004: Message edited by: ObiRichKanobi ]</p>

<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by piman:
Hello all,
for what it's worth I replaced the Delco (that I cursed repeatedly at all the time I tried to set the dwell or timing) with a Lucas unit from a Dolomite Sprint. I made no coil or any other alteration except I had to make up an adapter to make it fit the block.
In my opinion the Delco was fit only to bin.

Alec
<hr></blockquote>

That may be true with the points type ignition, I havn't had a Delco with points before, but when it comes to the electronic ignition used in the '81 TR7, the Delco is the superior setup in my opinion.

piman - What do you drive? I thought the Sprint distributor would easily fit into a TR7 block.

Hello all,
for what it's worth I replaced the Delco (that I cursed repeatedly at all the time I tried to set the dwell or timing) with a Lucas unit from a Dolomite Sprint. I made no coil or any other alteration except I had to make up an adapter to make it fit the block.
In my opinion the Delco was fit only to bin.

Alec
thirsty.gif

Hello Izual,
I drive a Triumph 2000 sedan, but it was my son's TR7 (points distributor). I got the distributor from a Triumph used parts supplier but did not realise that there is an adapter that also goes with it. Anyway, having my own lathe it was a simple job to make one. I.e. the Delco is a larger diameter than the Lucas where it locates in the block.
I do not understand why Delco designed the distributor with the advance weights above the points?

Alec
cheers.gif

piman - I've noticed that GM makes a lot of things that way. It's an attempt to discourage DIYers from making their own repairs.

in case anybody is still looking there is a delco distributor and coil on ebay right now.