• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Lucas DR2 Wiper Motor - Correct Finish

angelfj1

Yoda
Country flag
Hoping to restore the Gray Lady's wiper motor this weekend. What is the correct finish? painted, plated, color, etc. I have seen several , including glossy black, gray, silver paint and bright chromate. The Gray Lady is mid range TR-3A TS 58476LO

Thanks

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Don't have my Piggott handy, but I believe the correct finish is black crinkle for the motor housing (although some later motors were gray hammerite ?) while the end cap & gear housing are natural aluminum and the plate and top cap are (silver) chromate.

This isn't a DR2, but illustrates the proper colors, I think.

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
As it's still snowing outside, I do have my Piggott handy!

On p. 60 he shows "post-TS12567 TRs had a different type of wiper motor, Lucas DR2 ...". The picture shows basically the same as Randall's picture above, but the painted area is glossy black (and not wrinkle coat).

Hope this helps.
Tom

Don Elliott

Obi Wan
Frank - There were some that were black krackle and others were silver hammerite painted. I don't know it they were mixed through-out the production or not.

When I did mine (TS 27489 LO), I did it silver hammerite. I never lost points at TRA or VTR with this.

On the late TR3A (TS 81551 L) we did it black krackle.

Attachments

• 8552.jpg
    8552.jpg
    51.1 KB · Views: 529
  • 8553.jpg
    8553.jpg
    45.3 KB · Views: 516

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Just curious, Don, is there a build date or part number on the motor with the silver Hammerite ? As you can see in the photos above, it has a different (improved ?) park switch arrangement; which might indicate it was a later manufacture motor.

Don Elliott

Obi Wan
Randall - The silver hammerite wiper is all original. That's what was on the car brand new. Everything. Even the wire harness which I sent away this past spring to have a new loom put on it. That photo is from about 5 years ago.

OP
angelfj1

angelfj1

Yoda
Country flag
Don: Are these both DR-2 types? There is a subtle difference, that I just noticed. The round dome-shaped cap on the gearbox of the black crackle finished unit has the parking terminal lead coming out the top-center. The hammerite finished unit in Trusty has the same lead coming out the side, and the dome has a vertical "notch". Just wondering. No big deal.

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Interesting. So apparently they really did switch back and forth between the two types.

I'd still like to know the part number and date code stamped into the gearbox cover, if you don't mind.

Frank, there are internal differences as well. The unit with the lead coming out the side has a proper pair of contacts operated by a solid post from the gear.

The unit with the lead on top has a notched post on the gear, which carries a wiper contact that rubs against a plate inside the cover. The gear as well as the contacts and cover are different between the two units. But AFAIK they are both considered DR2 type motors.

AweMan

Jedi Knight
My 56 tr-3 has the "out the side" wire for the park mechanism the case was/is semi gloss black {no wrinkle} the electrical connections on the later "on top park wire" versus the "on the side wire" is somewhat different also. The on the side configuration plugs straight in and the on the top configuration, one I have plugs in at a ninety degree angle the other Motor with the on the top wire plugs straight in {at least the three motors I have here do}. So it is of my opinion that what was available is most likely what was used at the time of manufacture. then there is the possibility that two of the motors I have, have been mixed and matched too. I know the original motor has never been apart until last spring when I refurbished it. As I said, the original W.W. motor for my 56 has the out the side park wire configuration with semi gloss black paint on the case. The gear housing is bare aluminum and the top for it is galvanised or shiny steel. The end cap {electrical connection end} is bare aluminum also.
My 2 cents worth!
Kerry

Don Elliott

Obi Wan
FWIW - I painted the orange wire in the correct colour with a small bottle of orange acrylic paint that I bought for a dollar in a store that sells artist's supplies, paint, etc.

Tinkerman

Darth Vader
TRA's Judging Standards and Restoration Guide, underhood section page UH-11,-12. states "Wiper motor/cover - cover is bakelite painted blue, silver, or matte black. Electrical connectors change to spade at 60001(part number does not change). Gearbox-metal casting bolted to motor, unpainted. Crosshead and rack - the cable and shaft connecting gearbox and wheel box(in firewall). Unpainted."

They comment on the two speed wiper, but only that they were used as an option.

Having written all that I would guess that there will be no problems with any combination of hammerlite, crinkle paint or plain paint. I suspect they installed whatever Lucas sent them.

Good Luck Frank, Tinkerman

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
"cover is bakelite painted blue, silver, or matte black"

blue? a DR-2?

has anyone ever seen an original blue wiper motor cover?

Tom

Don Elliott

Obi Wan
It has to be a mistake. I never saw a blue one - nor one made in bakelite. It has to be a typo transfer error, referring to something else when TRA edited the text.

Tinkerman

Darth Vader
I thought it was kind of funny also, guess I will send a clarification question to the chief TRA judge and see what he/they have to say.
Will let you know when I have some info.

Tinkerman