• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Louvers

TR6BILL

Luke Skywalker
For your enjoyment

louvers1.jpg

louvers2.jpg

kodanja

Obi Wan
Country flag
very nice'
just one question.....HOW?

TR4nut

Yoda
Country flag
Bill-

NICE! Where'd you have it done? I have a spare hood for the 3A, and always liked the look of louvers.

Randy

OP
T

TR6BILL

Luke Skywalker
How? Where? Found this custom rod shop in Monroe, LA (cannot remember his name, would have to search long and hard to find it again.) that I called and asked if he did louvers. In my long search, I have found that anywhere there is an interest in Nascar, there will be a shop that does louvers. I removed the hood from my car and threw it (carefully) into the back of my Tahoe and made the 6 hour run. The guy let one of his fabricators do the job. He carefully cut the brace out from beneath the area I wanted louvers and re-welded (TIG) inboard 4". (He didn't even burn the paint when he welded it back!) Then he proceeded to set my hood up inside this gigantic "C" clamp looking press that was used only to louver sheet metal. He measured 3 times before he cut. We all held our breaths. At 13, he said it looked balanced, I agreed. Charged me a whopping $130. Needless, I tipped him heavily. Took the hood back home, chemically stripped the whole thing, and had the body shop respray. This has been about 4 years ago. Just now, I got good photos. My son's camera. I still use a Brownie Hawkeye, equivalent.

kodanja

Obi Wan
Country flag
looks awesome!!!

prb51

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Beautifully done and not overdone.
I've been told that louvers cut all the way back to the scuttle/windshield are counter productive and should be forward of that area (backdraft?)
Yours look done properly for placement...are those for moving air over the intake?
On the TR3 series do not go near the brake/clutch resevoir or leaked/leaking brake fluid can be drawn up thru the louvers onto the bonnet paint (friends experience)

3798j

Darth Vader
Bronze
Country flag
Really looks good. I too have always liked louvers. How about showing a wider angle shot of your hood?

kodanja

Obi Wan
Country flag
BTW Bill,

What 'color' is your car?

OP
T

TR6BILL

Luke Skywalker
kodanja said:
BTW Bill,

The color used to be Emerald. What I have now is a mistake. The paint guy mis-mixed the paint and I ended up with this. I just left it. I call it Emerald-BRG-John Deere green.
car2.jpg

kodanja

Obi Wan
Country flag
I really like it!

pjsmetana

Jedi Warrior
Does it interfere with washing your 6? Kinda looks like its right over the air filter.

DNK

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Bill uses Dockers dress socks over the filters,

or something like that!

Brosky

Great Pumpkin
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:]I call it Emerald-BRG-John Deere green.[/QUOTE]

I call it beautiful.....really sharp!!

70herald

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
TR6BILL said:
kodanja said:
BTW Bill,

The color used to be Emerald. What I have now is a mistake. The paint guy mis-mixed the paint and I ended up with this. I just left it. I call it Emerald-BRG-John Deere green.

That is one beautiful "mistake" and not just the color, the whole car really looks great.

shining_armor

For anybody in the Midwest, I had my louvers punched by Hopperstad's Customs in Belvidere, Illinois. He punched them in the top and sides of my Spitfire MK III hood. Don't remember what he charged, but it was extremely reasonable.

Ernie Knight

Brosky

Great Pumpkin
Bill, I guess that this officially made you one of the "bling guys".

DNK

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
How about punching louvers in the front fenders behind the wheels as vents?

Brosky

Great Pumpkin
That's exactly where that insert that someone posted on a really sharp silver TR4 fender would look great!

More bling!! Gotta love it!!