• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

GT6 GT6 rear window louvers

Will_Ringrose

I know i saw a photo of one. I was wonder if anyone here has used one, any thoughts?

With winter driving coming up I was thinking it would be nice to keep the snow and ice off the rear window.

rlwhitetr3b

Jedi Knight
Bronze
Country flag
If I understand what you are talking about, when the Mustangs etc. had them back in the '70s and '80s you had to lift them up to clean the rear window. I think you will find them more of a problem than a help.

Andrew Mace

Staff member
Country flag
Yes...words such as <span style="font-style: italic"><span style="color: #3333FF">loss of traction</span></span>...<span style="font-style: italic"><span style="color: #3333FF">bent front suspension</span></span> (from sliding helplessly into a curb)...<span style="font-style: italic"><span style="color: #CC0000">#^&(%@*</span></span>....

Andrew Mace

Staff member
Country flag
Uh...well...yeah. Thirty-four years later and I'm still trying to figure out how I slid sideways into a curb during a late-night snowstorm, hit the curb with the right front tire/wheel (losing my pseudo-ROstyle wheel cover in the process) and managed to bend the lower A-arm without hurting any other part of the suspension -- OR even bending the wheel!

The following year, I discovered the joys of driving beat-up old Volvo wagons in the winter!

BRSLimited

Jedi Trainee
I remember driving a first generation Rx7 in the snow once. Level ground couldn't get any traction to take off from a light. Same thing with a 240z, except that once you got rolling it had too much torque and would just break the back end loose if you tried to give it any throttle. Live and learn I guess.

Will, if you do decide to learn from your own mistakes, I have plenty of suspension parts sitting on the shelf if you happen to bend or break something.

Number_6

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
I drove a GT6 for many years thru New England winters, 6 or 7 years I think. I recall one particularly unnerving experience in a heavy snow storm driving across a narrow metal bridge and suddenly found my self driving down it side ways. Fortunately there was no other traffic and I was able to straighten it out OK.

HerronScott

Darth Vader
BRSLimited said:
I remember driving a first generation Rx7 in the snow once. Level ground couldn't get any traction to take off from a light.

We had a 79 and 80 RX-7 and were very disappointed that they did not do as well as our TR4A and Spitfire in the snow. The Triumphs did pretty well as long as it wasn't too deep.

Scott

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Many years ago, my supervisor was very proud of his Opel GT and bragged one day that "anything my TR3A could do, his Opel could do better". It had snowed that day, maybe 3" on the road, so I invited him to my place for a drink after work, and deliberately took a very steep hill up to the house (rather than going the other way around where the hills were more gentle).

The TR of course motored right on up the hill, while he never did make it to the top.

And he never, ever, said another word about how his car was better!
:devilgrin:

Reh

Any one have pictures of a GT6 with the rear window louver? sounds interesting

JImEgan

I bought one of those rear louver kits for my Mark 3 back in the 70's. it was to say the least underwhelming. Still have it in the original box.

Jim

DNK

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
NpbFjp0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>

UmmYeahOk

Jedi Warrior
3798j said:
Reh said:
Any one have pictures of a GT6 with the rear window louver? sounds interesting
Here's one. Found this in "Members Pictures"
https://www.britishcarforum.com/bcforum/photopost/showphoto.php/photo/1503

Interesting. I see the functionality of it. Less direct sunlight to the window=lower cockpit temperatures. Plus, added weight to the rear wheels for traction. =) Im not sure about aesthetic pleasure though. Ive seen them on many mustangs of various years. Some look cool, some look incredibly lame. Doesnt matter what age of the car. I havent considered cleaning being an issue though. I also wonder if visibility would be an issue.

The car is rare enough as it is, that, for me, I wouldnt change the appearance with such an accessory. Plus Id bee too afraid that more people would mistake the car for a datsun.

And BTW, my mom has one of those "easy" buttons at her office