• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

MGB Looking at this MGB

Banjo

Yoda
Country flag
Body looks pretty solid, same concerns about the engine, Nice seats!
all in all dosen't seem too far off base, if the engine is really good.

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
'67 is a desirable year for B's (not sure why - last of the steel dashes?), and looks pretty good to me. The guy has a good track record on ebay, so that part's covered. Worth watching...

Mickey

John Moore

Luke Skywalker
hmmm, good point on the engine. But a solid '67, especially with OD would be a great project! Looks like to me, its ready to strip and paint, then plop that rebuilt engine in. Could be really nice. I don't know if I would pay more than $2500

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Looks to have been pranged in the butt, bent at the right front, too. Trunklid would need replacing, hood on '67's was alloy: $$$! Driver's side floorboard IS bad if I'm looking at the underside photo correctly...

All that said, $2~2,500 would seem fair, but not more.

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
$2500 is about the max but it appears to be worth it...engine desn't concern me as tis easy to open & check condition

tdskip

Yoda
Country flag
She looks pretty straight - but hard to tell from the photos if there are rust issues lurking that an in person inspection would catch. Aluminum hoods are available, I think Tony might have one even (but better ask him!)and I have a spare one (but located in SoCal - shipping would be $ and a pain).

Also looks like she'd need a new passenger side front fender.

As always - mechanicals are reasonable and easily found. Body repair and quality painting can be the bigger issue.

Bruce74B

Jedi Knight
Gee...this is a tought crowd to play! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

A one-owner 67 MGB with overdrive that seems to be unmoslested and admittedly, a little neglected...seems like an opportunity of a lifetime for someone who wants to restore a prime example of the MGB. Assuming the engine was done right (one does wonder why it isn't IN the car)and that the visible damage is all that needs fixed and as little rust as he claims, I would expect this car to go another $1000 higher before is is sold to a happy bidder. If I only had the time.... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cowboy.gif

Bruce /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cheers.gif

OP
Bruce Bowker

Bruce Bowker

Obi Wan
Bonnet, fender, grill, emblem. A lot of front end body work.

Bruce

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
That fender's gonna be hard to find...I sell late used fenders for $150 - early ones go for as much as $300 - USED!

OP
Bruce Bowker

Bruce Bowker

Obi Wan
And banging it out doesn't look easy. Plus the grill etc and I would guess the front roll pan.

Bruce

BCruzn

Jedi Hopeful
I noticed some paint blisters on the drive side front lower fender, the wheel wells in the cockpit are ruster through. And I'll bet the rocker panels and castle rails have a fair amount of rust inside. Ahh, and that crisp Florida salt air. Just my opinion.

OP
Bruce Bowker

Bruce Bowker

Obi Wan
[ QUOTE ]
Just my opinion.

[/ QUOTE ]

And probably all true.

Bruce

jimd

Hi Bruce, long time no speak (or chat...or whatever this is called...). That mg seems fully priced already and it will probably go higher as there are already about 5 bidders going at it. IMO, you'll be spending $3k+ on parts, paint, etc and at least $3k in your own time if you plan to do it yourself. So, that puts you up around $9k which is what it would be worth more or less (probably more) when its done. But then, all the aggravation...not worth it to me. Good luck though. BTW, there is a very similar one (I actually thought it was the same one) in Newton, NJ on a trailer, for sale. Don't know how much they want but I could get the phone # if you are interested (and if it is still there). Jim.

OP
Bruce Bowker

Bruce Bowker

Obi Wan
Jim - thanks for the input. I'll wait it out. Maybe some day get one that is ready to drive. I don't mind doing some cleanig up but that MGB is too much work,.

There is also a red MGB sitting half under a tarp in Alpha (Huntington) NJ that I see each time I am there. It looks like it is slowly getting worse over the many years. No for sale sign. Just sits outside. Sad.

Bruce

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Tarps have that affect on our little cars...have you knocked on the door yet?

OP
Bruce Bowker

Bruce Bowker

Obi Wan
It is parked outside a business in a fenced in area. I have not but my guess is many have knocked. I rarely do that, not liking the answers I get such as - "we will be restoring this soon." Next year same question same answer. 3 years later same answer etc.

Or the price is outrageous and as the car slowly sinks in the mud, the price stays the same until the car is hauled away to a junk yard in pieces.

If I recall is has a split rear bumper. I am looking at 1965 to '67 cars.

Bruce

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
That's how I get a lot of my cars - door knocking...you'd be surprised that you might catch him at 'the' moment....if not, leave your name & number ("here's my number in case I can ever help you with parts or restoration advise.")

Eric_C

My question is; What kind of gas milage is considered normal for a good condition MGB with a single downdraft weber?