• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

LEDs

Nunyas

Yoda
Country flag
Hey all, I've been pointed to a company that makes LED replacements for automotive light bulbs ( https://www.superbrightleds.com/1157.htm ). I was wondering if anyone here has done a conversion and if so what did ya think?

Yes, I know LEDs don't have the same "old" tech feel of incandescent filament based auto-motive bulbs, but I'm not building a show car, and improving the visibility of the B on the road is more of a concern than originality. I figure if they work better/brighter and use less power, then that'll reduce the work load on the electrical system and improve safety a bit at the same time. That in general has to be a good thing, right?

All opinions, experiences, and comments are welcome.

jcatnite

Jedi Knight
We use them at work but they are pretty expensive. They look kinda funny with all those leds mounted on a regular light bulb base. The ones we have are brighter than the older incandescent bulbs and seem to last 4 or 5 times longer. We use 12V, 24V, and 115V bulbs all over the place.
JC

They are not bright from the side either... Brightest is at the rear - directly in line with the LEDs.

OP
Nunyas

Nunyas

Yoda
Country flag
I was a bit worried that they'd be really expensive too. I guess they are relative to the price of incandescent bulbs, but over all the prices at the site that was given to me by a friend seem to be tolerable over all.

They seem to have different types, "wide angle" and "directional", which seems interesting. However, for incandescent replacements, I'm thinking the "wide angle" bulbs would be best.

Steve_S

Yoda
I have brighter than standard bulbs in my GT and they seem plenty bright. The LEDs are really bright though. I have them in my TC and they are extremely bright but that is a completely different light fixture and the LED kit I bought for it is loaded with a million of the things.

dklawson

Yoda
I've been told that for some LED conversions (specifically the turn signal bulbs) it's often necessary to switch to a solid-state flasher unit as the LEDs draw too little current to make a "standard" bimetallic unit flash. Has anyone else heard this?

Steve_S

Yoda
Yes. Sometimes you're ok but sometimes you need to switch. If you replace all the turn signal bulbs with LED then you will almost definitely have to change the switch to something more sensative.

69MGC

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
I'm going to switch over to LEDs in my 71 B project. I hear that the visiblity is much better and brighter. I've been told by a friend who used to work in the LED industry that if you have Rrd LEDs with a Red Lens then the brightness is much more intense. As for side viewing, your side marker lamps should take care of that issue.

OP
Nunyas

Nunyas

Yoda
Country flag
yeah, the site I linked in my original post commented on this potential issue. I've already switched my stock thermal flasher unit for a "electronic" one.

Steve_S: I'm looking at direct bulb replacement units... I have friends that have put the more advanced multi-color LED kits in their modern cars and they seem like interesting gadgets with all the different options you get, to say the least. However, my friends seem to be having some difficulty getting them set "perfectly", but that could be because they're trying for some of the more advanced features or something... I'm not sure.

I've also been toying with the idea of fabricating a thin (single row of LEDs) magnetic 3rd brake light to fit on the rear deck between the trailing edge of the soft top and the trunk/boot lid. I think that may help me feel more comfortable in traffic where people have been known to not notice brake lights on cars without the 3rd light...

I saw one LED setup on a car show on TV a while back (it was a vehicle specific setup - 57 chevy I think), that had LED's mounted to cover the whole lens. It had options for sequential lighting - like starting at the bottom, and then the light slowly moves to the top then repeats. I thought that was pretty neat.

69MGC

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
Nunyas
I was thinking of the 3rd light as well. There are a couple of other vendors that sell LED rows that would make a perfect 3rd light for a B. I'm planning on that as well. I'll look through my bookmarks and post them here later.

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Yep, Adam has done it & dida pretty good write up over at MGBE...I've been trying to get him over here...I'll email him

Where is that kid anyway? And I haven't seen much of Keenan for awhile either...

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Adam's out chasing bolts for the alternator of the GRM car

MattP

Jedi Knight
Nunya,

I was thinking along the same lines, with the single row LED's. But I want one that will strap to the rear bar of my luggage rack.

Ooooh, Neat idea Matt. I was trying to think hard where you'd put a 3rd brakelight that wouldn't look horrible.

MattP

Jedi Knight
Yeah, if I can ever get a pattern to make my Union Jack tonneau, and then get this done, I'll feel pretty snazzy. Assuming, of course, that the money comes along at about the same time.

Have you tried google or yahoo image search? I get almost all my pictures and such from there, then tweak them a bit in photoshop 7.0.