• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Koni comments

Alan_Myers

Luke Skywalker
Hi all,

A new set of Koni shocks for my TR4 arrived today,to replace a set that's been on the car since the 1970s.

Part #80-1005SP has changed a bit!

I expected the logo would now say "Koni Classic" rather than just the winged Koni logo. What I didn't expect was that it now has a top shaft shroud, same as the TR4A specification shock.

Actually, I mulled over just getting the old set rebuilt (not much savings over buying a new set, though) and even adding a set of "gaiters" for the shaft to protect the shaft top seal from dirt might be a good idea. That won't be necessary, with the new shocks and their metal shroud serving the same purpose.

I just hope it doesn't interfere with the aluminum spring spacer. The later TR4/4A and on didn't use the aluminum spacers (used longer springs instead), and I suspect that's why a slightly different shock was supplied by Koni for those cars, one with the metal shroud same as these. I see the Koni website still lists two different part numbers for TR4 and TR4A, but I wouldn't be surprisef if these are actually the same item with different part numbers!

Cheers!

Alan

martx-5

Yoda
Country flag
Koni lists 80-1005 as fitting the TR2-TR4, and 80-1784 as fitting TR4A-TR6. This was from the koni.com site. I guess the "SP" at the end is a qualifier, as there are "sport" models and "classic" models etc. Exterior fitment being the same, but different internals as designated by the added suffix.

G

I spoke to the people at Koni last year and they were very helpful. They intimated that they would even modify a shock to fits an individual customer's needs. You don't hear that very often. Unless things have changed.

Bill