• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Just purchased 63 former SCCA racer in NJ

obsesstoration

Freshman Member
Hi Folks-

I'm new to the list. I'v spent a lot of time on the healey list. Just purchased car #32, a tartan red car with a mid 13,000 production number. This car was campaigned extensively in the 70's by a fellow named Ron Augustine.

Any history or info would be greatly appreciated.

I plan to keep the car as a racer, and will be restoring it to its' early 70's form and livery.

More to follow..

Tom

aeronca65t

Great Pumpkin
Welcome to another NJ guy.

There isn't really a lot of archived web info from the NNJR-SCCA or the South Jersey Region, but the PA Hillclimb Assoc has an excellent archive of info.

Just on a chance, I looked there and found results for Ron Augustine (in an MGB) at an event in a NH hillclimb.

You can see those results by ~Clicking Here~ (third page).

You might also want to write to Matt Rowe at the PA Hillclimb Assoc since he records a lot of their historical stuff.

You can find him ~HERE~

By the way, if you're planning on running any vintage events with it, check out VRG....great club!
You can see most of my VRG stuff if you click on my "Events" link below.

G'luck!

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
"#32 a Tartan Red car"....is it an MGB? or Midget?

OP
obsesstoration

obsesstoration

Freshman Member
Thanks for the reply, Nial. I have been chasing the links that you posted.

Are you a member of the north Jersey MG club?

aeronca65t

Great Pumpkin
No, but I know Butch O'Connor and Greg Prehodka from MGCCNJ. (they both attend VRG events).
Butch actually lives near me.
I also know Kathy Maas (and Dave) from the club.

And I'm pretty good friends with Chris Meyers (he's the editor of the MG Vintage Racers newsletter....I've run some of the MG Focus Events with Chris).

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Nice photos...really like that orange 423 MGB GT:

& I'm looking for that rear spoiler but Moss here in the States & in UK have dropped it....anybody know where I can get one for my GT race car?

aeronca65t

Great Pumpkin
That orange MGB-GT is an actual, BL factory V8 race car. As you may notice, it's right-hand drive.

The owner is Storm Field, a well-known TV/radio weatherman here in the eastern US. You may not know him in your area, but his Dad, Frank Field is perhaps more well-known as a TV weatherman. Storm is a great guy....very funny.

Here's another shot of that car:

vrg-njmp-08-mgbgt-v8.jpg

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Thar's it! If anybody knows where I can get one of those spoilers, please let me know.

B

Big6Mark

Tony:
I have an NOS Special Tunings Rear spoiler for a GT that I bought back in the early '80s, I think.
Looks like the same thing, but mine has a molded spot for the standard rear hatch badge, circa 1975. Part of the aero pack, with the front air dam, developed in the MIRA windtunnel for the rubber bumper GT.
Never used it because it didn't fit very well. Even the correct badge didn't fit very well in the space provided. Have seen a couple of others that had the same problems. Also wouldn't work with my car's early badging, either.
I was told that when the Comps Dept was shut down there were several buyers for the front air dam, but nobody bought the rear spoiler mold and it was scrapped. Don't know if that's the gospel truth, but could explain why they are not available.
Hadn't thought of selling it before, but... Also have connection to someone with a lot of experience with fibreglass who could make a new mold from it, too.
The rear spoiler that was offered by Victoria British a few years ago was not the same as it was actually made for the roadster, but I liked it better and have altered one to fit my GT. Intend to make a good mold of it for the future.
C Ya,
Mark
Ps.:Storm's GT is a recently built car. The factory wouldn't have used an MGC bonnet on a production MGB GT V8.

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
aeronca65t said:
The owner is Storm Field, a well-known TV/radio weatherman here in the eastern US.

Storm Field weather man - snicker :lol:

aeronca65t

Great Pumpkin
Big6Mark said:
....Ps.:Storm's GT is a recently built car. The factory wouldn't have used an MGC bonnet on a production MGB GT V8.

I have to agree. It really looks like a new car to me too. And I know the place where it was redone (in NY).

But Butch O'Conner told me it was an original works car and he's a guy who knows his way around MG history (he also races a vintage MGB and is an officer in our local MG club).

I'm going to ask Storm what the real story is the next time I see him.

swift6

Yoda
The British Race car site with that car on it also claims the car was converted to right hand drive. Still could have been a works car, maybe not a RHD V8, but it still <span style="font-style: italic">could</span> be a works car.

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Big6Mark said:
Tony:
I have an NOS Special Tunings Rear spoiler for a GT that I bought back in the early '80s, I think.
Looks like the same thing, but mine has a molded spot for the standard rear hatch badge, circa 1975. Part of the aero pack, with the front air dam, developed in the MIRA windtunnel for the rubber bumper GT.
Never used it because it didn't fit very well. Even the correct badge didn't fit very well in the space provided. Have seen a couple of others that had the same problems. Also wouldn't work with my car's early badging, either.
I was told that when the Comps Dept was shut down there were several buyers for the front air dam, but nobody bought the rear spoiler mold and it was scrapped. Don't know if that's the gospel truth, but could explain why they are not available.
Hadn't thought of selling it before, but... Also have connection to someone with a lot of experience with fibreglass who could make a new mold from it, too.
The rear spoiler that was offered by Victoria British a few years ago was not the same as it was actually made for the roadster, but I liked it better and have altered one to fit my GT. Intend to make a good mold of it for the future.
C Ya,
Mark
Ps.:Storm's GT is a recently built car. The factory wouldn't have used an MGC bonnet on a production MGB GT V8.
Let me know your plans...I want one for my '68 GT race car.....either yours if you decide to sell or a new one drawn from your mold.

vping

Yoda
Bronze
Country flag
Tony, I have that GT spoiler. Vince

vping

Yoda
Bronze
Country flag
01-29-09-Parts.jpg

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P