• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Isuzu alt info needed

G

I searched but with little luck. My alt is acting up and Pep is having trouble finding a liftime replacement. I'm thinking about upgrading to the Isuzu but can't find any info on the conversion. What model is it from and what needs to be modified to make it work?

Thanks.

dklawson

Yoda
Is there a particular reason to selected the Isuzu alternator?

The Delco 10SI, 12SI are both very common replacements with lots of online documentation. They are big and not pretty but they are readily available and easily adapted. Both will be available as rebuilt/re-manufactured units from your local parts store and most will offer a lifetime warranty.

nomad

Yoda
Frank Clarici [Spritenut] liked to use one from a B2000 Mazda pickup from aprox 1990.
Tiny little good looking alternator. It will be the next alternator that I fit.

Kurt.

OP
G

Doug, IIRC it's a direct bolt-in replacement with only wiring mods needed. The Delcos are being phased out of being a stocking item and I don't like the looks of 'em on a Midget anyway.

OP
G

Opened up my Lucas unit today. I'd never thought I'd say this but I like it. The only design flaw I see is it wears one brush more than the other, however; brushes are super easy to change. Regulator is a snap too. If you wanted to, you could probably changer both with the unit still installed. I put brushes and a reg from a rebuilt TR6 unit in it and it now works fine. Given this new information I'll probably keep it.

dklawson

Yoda
That sounds like a good plan.

Out of curiosity, where did you hear that stocking of 10SI and 12SI alternators was going to cease? I know that they stopped being current in the mid-1980s (or thereabouts) so it makes sense that there will be less demand for them now. Do you anticipate that Isuzu alternators will be more available?

OP
G

I worked in parts forever and have recently seen some stores packing up all the old numbers and sending them to "the warehouse". Most box stores will only stock numbers that move at a certain rate.

That being said, Advance still has the 7127-3 (10si IIRC) both in standard format as well as single wire. I wuold have to say the Isuzu might be avalible in-house longer but the GM will outlive it specail order wise. It's the most common alt on the planet...or at least it was.

Due to "collector" value, I believe the Lucas unit will be around longer than the Isuzu (distant future), however; I wanted something that would be in-stock at local stores now. Given the fact the Lucas is so easy to work on (and parts from VB and Moss are cheap too), I'll just keep some spare-spares to patch up my unit while I await a lifetime replacement. Ol' boy was having trouble finding me another Lucas unit, so I was thinking about an Isuzu swap but staying the course at least for now.

For $55 I really can't complain about it. This is the second one I wore out, but it seems the brushes are the problem. $4 and a few minutes with a soldering iron is a small price to pay for keeping it going. The cool thing is, if you have another brush housing; you can keep a spare brush set and regulator loaded and ready to go in the trunk. You can swap them out in just a few minutes with a stubby phillips with it still on the car. The rectumfrier is the hardest thing to change and even that doesn't look too bad but can't be swapped roadside.

Looking back, I should have bought two alts and always have a spare on-hand while awaiting a lifetime swap-out.

I like my attic parts house. No waiting and I always get the right stuff. :cool:

That's why I sent you the heavy-duty version of the heat shield template. I wasn't just for now, but needed to last ~way~ into the future.

Ya never know when you're gonna need it.

Last edited:

dklawson

Yoda
I still have that template. In fact... it is resting on top of my main tool box leaning against the wall. It is sort of "garage art".

Thanks for the alternator insights. I have a couple of spare alternators in the attic, one Lucas clone, and one Denso type. I also have a couple of functional generators and control boxes. The attic warehouse is reassuring but I am beginning to feel cramped for space even with my tiny parts collection.

Regardless, your decision to repair rather than swap makes perfect sense.

OP
G

What?!?!?! "Too many parts" ?!?!?!?! :confused:

SACRILEGE !!! :p

"Garage Art", that's funny. Seeing I'm an award winning artist now, mebbe it'll be worth something one day. :rolleye:

Send it back and I'll sign it for you. :D

dklawson

Yoda
DOH! I do sort of have your signature in the form of a return address.

Yeah, too many parts. I sold off some of my gauges earlier this year and I am thinking of another sale in the near future. I have two plastic tote bins full of gauges since that is what I tinker with the most. I also have started collecting hard parts for all three of my British cars and it is becoming more difficult to "walk" through the attic. I just don't want the ceiling to start sagging below.