• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

I found something to do

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
While on the "road" I noticed a loose noise on the rear drivers side on sharp bumps. Yep, you guesed it exhaust pipe center bracket is not all that it should be.

Now, even though it is Moss parts it ain't right, will figure another way to get rid of this noise. Hmmmm.

Also notice while driveing that I am not really taken with the thin stock wheel rim, think I will try a wheel cover and see if that makes me happy. Old hands and fingers do not clutch as well as young ones I supose, anyway it is a bit uncomfortable.

GB1

Yoda
Country flag
Jack

Good to hear you are getting rid of the rattles and creeks.

IMHO that micro bus wheel can't be to comfortable for anyone.

If ya want next time you and wifey go on vacation and Agatha is home, if you leave me the house keys and alarm code, I will gladly come down and install a Motolita on her free of charge ~snarl~

just kidding my friend, but I can't wait to see her next year in person.

Pat

spritenut

Luke Skywalker
I agree with Jack, the stock steering wheel is a monster!
I can steer with my knees and as nimble as a Sprite is if you blink your eyes, the car changes lanes.
13" steering wheels seem to be the best. But the 58 is for my son and he wants it "original" looking so the monster wheel along with the dinky shift knob stay.

regularman

Yoda
Country flag
Jack, I don't know what size wheel you have, but the wheel on my midget had the rubber on it and was looking pretty rough. I could not find a cover that fit cause they were all 16 inch and mine was 17 (or somethingn like that). I found a real leather cover at walmart that was a 16 for 10 bucks. It was a solid piece with a whole one piece leather outside. I soaked this cover in almost boiling hot water and made it fit the wheel when wet, then let it dry and it fits really tight and none of those threads to tie or whatever. You cna still see the inside of the old wheel cover. have not decided what to do about that yet. you can see it in this picture of my fancy seat.
MVC-256F.jpg

Atrus

Jedi Warrior
dunno if there is one to fit the spridget size, but https://www.wheelskins.com makes some nice covers in my opinion. Have one on my daily driver, haven't done anything with the Healey wheel yet (it's in sad shape).

OP
jlaird

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Thought I would just try a vinyl one for grins and see if I like the size, our wheels are 16" by the way.

regularman

Yoda
Country flag
I forget the actual sizes. I only remember that mine was the oddball size and I had to make that one fit. Once I got it on though it fits and feels good. It has a rubber backing inside so it wont slip around.

Atrus

Jedi Warrior
I looked at the wheelskins site, and they'll make whatever size you need. I think they are about $40 or so, but they really are very nice covers. I highly suggest checking them out. I'll be putting one on my spridget when I fix the huuuuuuuge crack/missing chunk in the wheel. They are real leather and stitch up very nicely. They have an OEM look to them when installed properly (easy to install!).

Jim_Gruber

Yoda
Country flag
Kevin,

Good luck in trying to find some other type of wheel as well. Bugsy my '68 Sprite has a wheel from either a Triumph or a Morris Minor installed on him. 3 sets of 4 spokes on each leg of the wheel. Large wheel that I want to eliminate and go to a 13" wheel. issue is finding a hub that fits.

Take care.

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Jim, Moss sells a hub for Spridgets (all years, I'm pretty sure) that works with Moto-Lita, Toursit Trophy (Moss house brand) or some LeCarra wheels.

https://www.mossmotors.com/Shop/ViewProducts.aspx?PlateIndexID=35371
(this is for the TT wheels, the adaptors are listed at the bottom).

Moss wheels only go down to 14", but Moto-Lita and others sell a huge range of wheels for that adaptor size.

Atrus

Jedi Warrior
Jim,

I think I may get a little nuts and try to modify the stock wheel. What I am thinking is to cut the stock rim off at the spokes, then get a piece of 1/4" or 1/8" thick metal (aluminum?) and cut a section 13" or 14" in diameter. Weld this to the spokes and cut spokes to length. I could then cut a piece of plywood or something else to make up the front and rear of the wheel to make it the right thickness (metal plate cutout sandwiched between wood). Route the edges to make it round and spend some time sanding. Lastly, use the wheelskins cover to completely cover. I think it'd work and although take some time, save a lot of cash. I have no desire to have a wood rimmed steering wheel, I'd rather have leather wrapped.

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
It's one of the few things they bothered to change, I guess. Some came about when the steering column was changed to a collapsable one with the safety changes that came about in the late 60s. I assume that these same changes applied to the non-USA models as well, though there did start to be significant differences from late 1967 on.

Maybe the little boffins were just bored, since so little else changed over the years. Gave them something to do. /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif