• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Post-War Other How says a Herald isn't fast

tomgt6

Jedi Warrior
I have had my Herald up on blocks for the last couple of weeks so I could change out all of the following items.

Tranny from a low gear to spitfire standard gearing, Ujoints on drive shaft, differential 4.1 from a 4.8, bearing on axles, and muffler.

After getting all of this done I took the car out yesterday and took it down a back road to see what it could do. I never got more then 60 mph out of this car in the past. This time I went down a long flat area of road and I got it up to ---

wait for it

Almost there.

OK here we go---

A whopping 75 mph!!!!!!!!!Clocked with a GPS.

Can you believe it? I will no longer get passed by those Smart cars if I don't want to be.

TR4

Jedi Knight
Woo Hoo.......any idea what all this work did to the 0-60 numbers? Just curious.

Great work. I'm guessing the fuel mileage will increase too.

Enjoy.

tdskip

Yoda
Country flag
TR4 said:
Woo Hoo.......any idea what all this work did to the 0-60 numbers? Just curious.

Be nice Phil
grin.gif

Good going Tom - sounds like you having fun.

Country flag
Years ago, my Dad modified his 10 Estate wagon, upgraded the brakes in front with disk from 76 Spitfire, put the 1500 engine and overdrive trans in from the same car. Then put a solid axle(4.10) from a TR4a in. He topped that off by putting 13" wires on the front and 15 " wires on the back. I don't know what the top speed was but he did drive it to work for the last 5 years before he retired.

Marv

V

vagt6

Tom, you need to clone this baby into a Vitesse! A nicely modified 2000cc GT6 lump, overdrive, GT6 gearbox . . .

Whoooppeee! :yesnod:

OP
T

tomgt6

Jedi Warrior
Being that I have 2 GT6s sitting in the driveway already I don't think I need anything more for speed.

TR4 I will have to do a 0-60 timing someday. At this point it is slower off the line then before. If you could call it quick before but I do notice the new tranny and diff need a little more gas to get it going from a stop.

I bet Andy knows what the 0-60 was for a 1147cc with a 4.1 diff right off the top of his head. He most likely knows what top speed should be as well.

Andrew Mace

Staff member
Country flag
For those who might be curious, take a look at this chart of gear ratios on various "small" Triumphs. His original 4.875 diff, combined with the older gearbox ratios -- with a gap between second and third through which one could drive a lorry -- made for much less a "highway" car, to say the least! Not a lot of torque in the older 948cc engine....

Typical 0-60 times for a Herald 1200 approach 20 seconds or so, and the top speed is around 80 mph. Tom's car, with a Spitfire engine, might do a bit better in the 0-60 times, but I suspect that top speed is somewhat limited by the, er, aerodynamics of a Herald. :wink:

OP
T

tomgt6

Jedi Warrior
See, I told you that Andy would know.

WedgeWorks

Jedi Trainee
This last weekend at the Roadster Factory Show a herold was clocked in the 1/4 mile at 21 seconds.

Country flag
And how do you know when a Herald is travelling at excessive speed? You can hear a heavenly choir!

Wait for it....

C'mon now......you mean you've NEVER heard "Hark, the Herald angels sing!"?? :laugh:

cheseroo

Jedi Trainee
BOO!

OP
T

tomgt6

Jedi Warrior
Is that the sound the Herald is making when I am down the road. I thought is way the parts flapping in the wind.

OP
T

tomgt6

Jedi Warrior
Hey, I would put Herald up against anyone of you.

If you were riding a tricycle, going up hill and had an extra 200lbs to drag behind you.

I was at a stop light tonight on my way home and a guy stopped in the other lane to ask if I my car was a Herald. He then told me he was impressed.

I then told him I was impressed because he knew what it was.

I have a GT6 and a Spitfire and I still get more attention with the Herald.

HerronScott

Darth Vader
Silverghost said:
C'mon now......you mean you've NEVER heard "Hark, the Herald angels sing!"?? :laugh:

Uggghhh! :smile:

Scott

Andrew Mace

Staff member
Country flag
tomgt6 said:
Hey, I would put Herald up against anyone of you.
When I was in high school, I actually outdragged a buddy's Boss 302 with the Herald convertible I had in an impromptu stoplight race. Granted, it was only for about three feet, after which he pretty much cleaned my clock. :wink:

tomgt6 said:
I have a GT6 and a Spitfire and I still get more attention with the Herald.
Hoo boy! Tonight I was walking out of Harbor Freight. I wasn't even near my car when the guy walking towards the store asked me if that was my Herald. I said yes, and he proceeded to tell me about the one he found in a neighbor's garage in the early 1970s, bought and fixed up. Then he was literally on his way to the Triumph dealer when the car was rear-ended and totalled. Bummer.

Then I got to my Triumph Club's summer picnic, where THREE more people proceeded to tell me fondly about Heralds they used to have (not to mention any number of other folks who thought my Herald was cool)!

70herald

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Andrew Mace said:
Typical 0-60 times for a Herald 1200 approach 20 seconds or so, and the top speed is around 80 mph. Tom's car, with a Spitfire engine, might do a bit better in the 0-60 times, but I suspect that top speed is somewhat limited by the, er, aerodynamics of a Herald. :wink:

The 13/60 will do those 0-60 time a bit quicker. I found that somewhere above 70mph the front end starts getting a bit light. I backed off while I still has the front wheels attached to the road. I have no doubt that it could easily have hit 80 mph.

OP
T

tomgt6

Jedi Warrior
Thanks all for you comments and suggestions.