• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

How hot is too hot?

mgless

Country flag
I had been having problems with a loose generator belt, and thought I had it fixed until my "time to walk" light came on after some spirited highway driving. Thought I could get it home, but about a minute later my temp guage was over 212 and coolant (and steam or smoke or something) started pouring out the back.

Didn't see anything abnormal under the hood 'cept for a bubbling sound near the radiator and a broken belt.

Pulled over and shut the car off while temp guage climbed up past 230 -- maybe hit 250 before it started to fall.

Waited till temp got below 200 and got the car home on a trailer. It seemed to run fine up the driveway for a few minutes, but...

How hot is too hot before you should worry about damage to the motor?

Matt
'65 Sprite 1098cc

Morris

Yoda
Ignorance is bliss. If your engine still runs, put a new belt on it and walk away clean, man.

Asking too many questions can lead to heartache and financial ruin.

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
I would expect that you are just fine. Guess why I always keep an extra belt under the front seat?

racingenglishcars

Darth Vader
Country flag
It is true when they say that these engines are incredibly durable. They will sometimes hold to the worst abuse.

Absoutely DO NOT do that with a Ford!!

But your engine, the worst that will happen is the head can distort and the gasket will burn. However as they say, If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

regularman

Yoda
Country flag
If you cook it it can break the rings and it will smoke like hades, but you didn't really cook it. As long as there is water in there to boil it can't get so hot that it usually hurts anything, but if you keep on after the water is gone then you will burn it up and crack the rings. Seen this on the 1000cc minis a couple times.

Morris said:
Ignorance is bliss. If your engine still runs, put a new belt on it and walk away clean, man.

Asking too many questions can lead to heartache and financial ruin.

AMEN

/bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/iagree.gif /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/lol.gif

bugimike

Yoda
racingenglishcars said:
It is true when they say that these engines are incredibly durable. They will sometimes hold to the worst abuse.

Absoutely <span style="color: #FF0000">DO NOT do that with a Ford!!</span>

But your engine, the worst that will happen is the head can distort and the gasket will burn. However as they say, If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

How VERY, VERY true!!!!Hehehe, I know that from experience!!

If you are running with a thermostat, I would replace that after reaching the temps. you said, but other than that you should be OK! When you say "smoke out the back", I hope from under the car, and not the exhaust pipe???

Billm

Yoda
Country flag
Mike
Don't ask questions that you don't want to know the answers to. /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif
Bill

OP
M

mgless

Country flag
bugimike said:
When you say "smoke out the back", I hope from under the car, and not the exhaust pipe???

I'm not entirely sure. It was dark when it happened, so it was hard to tell. Would smoke out the pipe indicate a problem with the head? The whole underside of the car is covered in coolant, so maybe it was just steam or something. <shrug>

As far as a thermostat, I'm not sure if there's one in there or not. I'll take a look. Cooling always seemed fine before the belt broke.

I'm going to stop at the parts store after work and get a new belt. If all seems well after that, I'll take the re-occurring advice and leave well enough alone. /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

I guess I was just wondering if there was a certain rule-of-thumb max temp that would fry an A series. Doesn't sound like it. /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

Thanks all for the advice.

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
No no no. Buy TWO belts and stash one under the seat. You can always borrow tools but the right belt is a pain along some farm road.

OP
M

mgless

Country flag
jlaird said:
No no no. Buy TWO belts and stash one under the seat. You can always borrow tools but the right belt is a pain along some farm road.

That's exactly what I did. /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

Morris

Yoda
Once you get your belt on and you top off your coolant, run her around the block until she gets hot, then check for coolant leaks. Sometimes over heating can cause hoses or gaskets to blow.

OP
M

mgless

Country flag
We had a thunderstorm last night, so I didn't get a chance to drive her.

I did find out that, at least according to the computer at Checker, the PO had 1 1/2" too large of a belt installed.

The other downside of all this is that my engine bay, formerly clean enough to eat off of, is now full of coolant and belt residue. /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/frown.gif

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
mgless said:
The other downside of all this is that my engine bay, formerly clean enough to eat off of, is now full of coolant and belt residue. /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/frown.gif

You didn't really want to eat in your engine bay, now did you? /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/devilgrin.gif

Country flag
Of course he didn't want to eat off of it... that would have gotten it dirty.

OP
M

mgless

Country flag
Someone did put a tray of cookies on the top of my S2000 engine once. They kept nice and warm. /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Time for some gunk.

OP
M

mgless

Country flag
Does anyone know offhand what size fan belt they're using? I'm running a 1098 w/ generator if that makes a difference.

I'm having a heckuva time getting this new belt on. I've got the generator swung all the way down on the bracket and it doesn't even seem close to fitting.

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Get one one inch longer and see how that works. Your auto parts store should have many many sizes.

Those are deep V pullys, all of them, so should be very snug going on as they really ride deap in the V, just make sure the bottom, crank shaft pully has the belt on it for sure, for sure.

kcbugeye1275

Jedi Knight
I just read this post a little late, but what we all are saying is that an iron block and head can withstand a little abuse that aluminum components can't. The extra belt for me goes in the back between the strut and the outer wing. It is a hard to get to the space, but it can hold a lot of those parts that you don't need til!!!!!