• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

How do you Waxoyl [or Other] treat Frame rails?

Norton47

Jedi Warrior
Need some practical advice.
Seems that the idea is to make holes in the frame, is this correct to allowing spaying the inside and getting inside coverage.
If this is correct, what size holes are recommended? Spaced how far apart?
Or should one just use what ever access points are currently there?
Also what is light machine oil? Gimme a name or brand name
Thanks

tdskip

Yoda
Country flag
Good morning - I was actually going to post a similar question today.

What I've gathered from the English car magazines like Practical Classics and others is to;

1) Wash the car down really well to get all the junk / dirt off and out of the car

2) Remove an rust scale or blisters

3) Spray in a rust converter (not remover) liberally everywhere the sprayer can reach

4) Follow this after the rust converted has set up with a good cavity wax or anti-rust compound such as Eastwood Co Heavy Duty Anti Rust

5) Remove and throw away your clothes since they are now completely covered in anti-rust drippings...

Eastwood sells a kit to do this that includes a flexible wand.

I'm not sure what compressor power is needed to do all of this, but I think most rust converters can be spray easily or out of a garden spray ($15 from Lowes).

What does everyone else do? Any first hand experience to share?

macino62

Jedi Hopeful
my old shop used Wurth Cavity Wax for corrosion protection on the really high-end european stuff.

here is the link for the wurth product:

https://www.wurth.com.au/catalogueview.asp?pdf=A03_0015.pdf

Another option is aerospace quality:

https://www.corrosion-control.com/acf50.html

Another thing I read, was a guy who drilled 3/8" inch holes, about 10 inches apart in the frame rails. he poured old/nasty engine oil in the holes, and plugged with with grommets. he rotated the frame over the course of a couple of weeks to spread the oil around.

71tr

Jedi Warrior
Re: How do you Waxoyl [or Other] treat Frame rail

The key is prepping with a rust converter prior to application of the waxyoil then using a selection of wands/spray tips to get good coverage. Just sticking in a spray tip and shooting will not cover all nooks and crannies. Think about the process and angles carefully then have at it.

macino62

Jedi Hopeful

you can buy Wurth here in the US....i'm trying to think of who our supplier was (they have reps all over). You can go to:

https://www.wurthindustry.com/

to find a rep.

They sell the guns and wands, but for a one time deal, the cost is pretty prohibitive

D

DougF

I used LPS 3 on the inside of my frame. It is a waxy undercoat that remains soft.
I drilled holes in the frame, and applied with an undercoat gun. I used about a gallon. When finished, plug the holes.
I have heard about heating waxoyl before applying, turn the frame on end and pour into the rails and spin the frame to different angles to get coverage.

G

I heat my Waxoyl by placing the can in a large pot of boiling water (done outside with a butane burner and a crayfish boiling pot) til it get super hot and liquidy. Use the Eastwood compressed air wand. Messy but works good.

Now, if you want my recipe for boiled crayfish.....

OP
N

Norton47

Jedi Warrior

Got the waxoyl today, decided to wait on the frame until summer and access to a hoist. Jacked the car and did the under body and outside of the frame. What fun you can have.

DNK

Great Pumpkin
Country flag

Bill, Is that the same pot you cook your gumbo in??

G

Uhhh, eerrr, uhmmm, it was. At one time. One thing for sure, it will never rust again.

tdskip

Yoda
Country flag

Well don't keep us hanging Bill - where is that boiled crayfish recipe!?!??!

tdskip

Yoda
Country flag

Macino62 - can I ask for a ballpark price on how much the Wurth cavity wax set you back? I'm trying to just an idea of relative cost.

G

Any and every where.

ROADSTR6

Jedi Trainee
I use Penetrol. It's a paint additive found at your local hardware. It's thin enough to flow well but solidifies as it dries to form a nice hard coating that is a great rust preventer. It, like Waxoyl is best used in the nooks and crannies of the undercarriage, behind panels, etc. You son't want this on your exterior paint. That's what regular car wax is for.

Dave

Alan_Myers

Luke Skywalker
Yes, it can be sprayed liberally over the bottom of the car to protect things and will even help keep things like parking brake mechanisms better lubricated over the long run.

Waxoyl or something very similar was sprayed on the outer areas of my TR4's frame, right at the factory. I think that was done to protect during shipping. Just a few years ago I finally cleaned the last bits of it off around the parking brake mechanisms and upper side of the diff housing. That was the first those parts had been off the car from new, so I am certain the waxy gunk was "original". It was quite thick, up to 3/4" in some hidden recesses, and had done it's job quite well for 40 years... no rust underneath it. But, it only stuck around in hidden and somewhat protected areas. Any place that was exposed to tire splash, car washes, etc., any traces of the gunk were gone long before I got the car in the 70s.

Back when I worked at a car dealership in the 1970s, something similar was being used on many new cars, paticularly imports but also on some Detroit iron, and we did a lot of cleaning to remove it before a car could be delivered to a customer. The underside of the car and hidden recesses were never really cleaned, though.

I would feel okay about coating the suspension and underside of the car. I wouldn't use it on the exterior or under the hood, though. It ain't pretty and will melt from heat. It's best in hidden areas, such as inside frames.

In really wet and harsh climates, it's recommended to respray every few years.

Oh, and it's usually sprayed *over* whatever paint or finish was already on there. Being a semi-transparent coating, the color underneath shows through a bit. Being waxy and oily, not many paints could ever be sprayed on over it.

BTW, a friend cut up a scrap TR4 frame and was surprised to find it was actually completely painted semi-gloss black on the inside, same as the outside. Apparently it got at least one coat sprayed on before being spot welded together. Of course, the spot welding damages the paint in the welds' immediate vicinity, and there is no way to respray inside, but most of the metal still had a nice coat of paint after 35-40 years. Perhaps the later cars didn't get that paint inside, and that's one reason the IRS frames seem more prone to rust. Just a guess... I don't have one handy to cut up and check.

G

Alan, almost sounds like that was the infamous Cosmoline.