• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Holiday efforts

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
All layed out nice and neat on my work bench are all the parts, restored again that make up the brake and clutch master cylinder mounting and pedals etc etc. The Master cylinder well come home from Gerald about this time next month I expect, his guy was on a months vacation.

Man that stuff was all nasty had to get out the sand blaster and such to get er done. Already had most of the stainless bolts and nuts and such. Only one, that the pedals swing on, that is not stainless. Some strange engineer decided that one needed to be really strange.

A bit more cleaning of the fire wall and washing the floor mats and I am good to go.

Next job.

Make the emer brake work really proper. Like all the old cables mine has stretched and over time I have done all kinds of things to make it work properly. Well at the last car show I was telling Rut my prob and ding, I had a solution. So here ya go.

The bracket, hand brake support needs modified to accept the longer cable. so just cut the support in half near the front end and weld it back together about a half inch longer. Now the adjustment threads will work just fine. The distance between the mounting holes and the threaded hole needs to be longer for the stretched cable. Really. Hope that made sense.

Think I will do a clean up on the wiper motor housing while I am in there. i think it is looking a bit tired as well.

nomad

Yoda
I haven't had one apart but was wondering if a person couldn't sweat the ferule off the end and shorten the cable that way. I know this is a common problem.

Kurt.

G

You couldn't sweat it off as it would melt the whole thing. You can do that but you need to recast it with a mold

Jim_Gruber

Yoda
Country flag
Does the cable need some special type fitting or just simply a pressed on ferule. Any marina that has sailboats around would have as swaging tool and could cut cable and reswage on a new fitting. Ferules come in a variety of shapes and sizes. That sounds simpler than rewelding things.

OP
jlaird

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
The ferule is a good idea jim and I considered that but it means removeing the entire cable and all that entails. I now have the bracket that attaches to the rear axle with two bolts out and.... would like to update my first comments.

It is the large end that has to be extended. The one the cable goes into and through, has a slot for the cable so the large end can go through the hole and on back.

Maybe the easy way would be to drill a couple of new bolt holes so the bracket would move forward about a half inch. However that means that the screw end the one with the threads would need to be extended maybe to clear the rear of the axle, will check that soon as I cool off. Wouldn't it be nice if only a couple of new drilled holes fixed the problem. More later.

Ok is now later, drum roll please, wait for it, Drilling two new mounting holes fixes the problem, you would need to add a few washers to rear hole to make up for the tapered part.

Orrrrr, drum roll pls, how about a flat peace of steel with four holes, two to mount the plat to the axle and two to mount the bracket to it in its new forward position??

There you have two ways to fix the problem one that requires no changes to the car and one that does just a bit. Your choice.

Comments pls

Jim_Gruber

Yoda
Country flag
I like the idea of a simple steel plate with 4 holes. Sounds easier to fix and fabricate than a new cable that we know will stretch anyway.

OP
jlaird

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Made the plate out of alum. bar stock I just had on hand. Drilled the holes and hit it with a grinder to get rid of rough edges. Painted black so no one would notice it when in place. Need some stainless bolts, will get em and install. Will report on final result.

Last edited:
OP
jlaird

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Plate in and bracket in and attached as well. Has worked so far just as i had envisioned. Now need to adjust hand brake. Will advise further, darn cement floor hard even with card board on it. Later.

LarryK

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
Not worried about the cables being stretched far enough that the internal wires start breaking? Probably could make new with hardware cable and ends with same effort?

OP
jlaird

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
All done, works fine, three clicks of the emer brake to lock as specified. All newly painted with stainless hardware.

I expect I could do this job now in maybe an hour with no expense at all. Nice sat. morning job.

Instead of moving the bracket forward 1/2 inch I would consider 1 inch, for my cable in any case.

OP
jlaird

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Really sorry about the poor pic. not much to see nor a way to really show after it is done. Guess I should have taken a pic before I put it in.

Gave it a shot or two with my favorite, black rustoleum. Now looks like it belongs there.

Emer Brake fix 001 (Small).JPG

Last edited: