• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

GT6 GT6 Accelerator Pedal Removal

ArcticOne

Will be starting the replacement of the grommets on the accelerator pedal shaft this weekend on my 68 GT6.

Any tips on removing the pedal and shaft? It appears to be a single unit that I will somehow wiggle and jiggle to extract it out through the driver's door. Is this correct?

Any hints or tips would be greatly appreciated.

jb

UmmYeahOk

Jedi Warrior
I tried to slide mine out. The first cotter pin is easy, but the problem is I could never get the arm off the other end. Looks like you just hammer a peg out, but we could never get it to happen.

Reh

I can't quite remember how i did it with mine. I think you just have to remove all that you can and man-handle it out.

DaveGT6

John, the throttle arm is fastened to the shaft with a spring pin. A 1/8 in pin punch will get it out and as you work the pedal shaft out thru the fire wall, the throttle arm will 'slide' off the end to allow the shaft through the holes. (May need to clean & lubricate the shaft.) Two cotter pins at the drivers wall, one inside, one outside. Then work it out through the drivers door. You'll have to find the magic combination of twists and angles for yourself. And of course, installation will be the reverse.
Dave

jsfbond

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
In a perfect world it slides off the arm. I have drilled the roll pin out and treated the shaft with penetrant, no luck. This is my next step also.

OP
ArcticOne

ArcticOne

Thanks for the advice and suggestions.

The easy part for me was getting the roll / spring pin out and sliding the throttle arm off the shaft (surprised at how easy it slid off).

Could not get the acclerator pedal and shaft out tho. Brake pedal was in the way and no matter what I did I couldn't get the right angle to get the accelerator past the brake. Debated about removing the brake as well, but then I figured that the clutch pedal would likely be in the way too, so I adjusted my thinking instead.

Ended up modifying the bushings slightly - I trimmed away most of the rubber on one side. Ended up something like what Tom posted about, just not so professional looking.

So far it works great and there is a lot less play in both the pedal and the shaft.

Will use it the way it is (well, I will once the snow leaves) and I think a longer term solution is closer to that posted by Tom.

Thanks again for the advice and input.

jb

jsfbond

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
ArcticOne said:
(surprised at how easy it slid off).

Yeah rub it in. Iam waiting on the install of the brake and clutch pedal assemblies until I get this done.

OP
ArcticOne

ArcticOne

The spring pin came out easy too and the arm slid off. I sprayed it with Liquid Wrench about 1 hour before I attempted the removal.

My guess is that it has been off at least once in the past 40 or so years.

Good luck and hold the tongue just right!

jb