• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR2/3/3A Generator Pulley Bolt Removal

SteveBones

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
Hello,

It has been a while since the last time I had to replace the generator. My problem is with trying to remove the pulley bolt. Tried using a old style impact wrench with no luck. Just can not figure out how to stop the pulley from rotating. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Steve Bonner

CJD

Yoda
Country flag
I've always locked in a 6" table vice, although I would have thought the impact driver would have done it too.

Sarastro

Obi Wan
Silver
Country flag
It's right hand. I would have expected an impact gun to remove it also, but if it doesn't, it doesn't. I have sometimes held the moving part in a strap wrench in such cases; here, you could wrap the belt tightly around the pulley to hold it. I suspect you need just a little bit to inhibit the pulley's movement; then the impact gun will work.

gen_pic.jpg

OP
S

SteveBones

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
I've always locked in a 6" table vice, although I would have thought the impact driver would have done it too.

Have not considered the 6" table vice. Part of the problem is too much time between jobs on a TR3 for me, and trying to remember what works. Are you suggesting locking the pulley itself into the vice? I had an issue with the water pump pulley cracking in the past. Will this not be an issue with using a 6" vice for securing the generator pulley? Thanks also for letting me know the impact driver has worked for you in the past. Encourages me to continue with this approach.

OP
S

SteveBones

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
It's right hand. I would have expected an impact gun to remove it also, but if it doesn't, it doesn't. I have sometimes held the moving part in a strap wrench in such cases; here, you could wrap the belt tightly around the pulley to hold it. I suspect you need just a little bit to inhibit the pulley's movement; then the impact gun will work.

View attachment 65722

Great advice. I need to see if I can find someone who has an impact gun. I do have an impact driver that you hit the end with a hammer.

OP
S

SteveBones

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
Help me remember. Is this a right hand or left hand thread?

I removed the generator earlier. I recall the thread is standard.....clockwise to tighten, counterclockwise to loosen. Yesterday I reinstalled the generator with the plan to tighten the belt, and try using a socket wrench. At this point I am trying all options I have easy access to.

OP
S

SteveBones

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
I use an air impact gun and the nuts have spun right off the shaft.

I thought this would be the best approach. Unfortunately I do not have an air compressor and impact gun. I do have an impact driver where a hammer is used. Maybe I can find a local mechanic who has an impact driver.

CJD

Yoda
Country flag
You do have to be careful if you use a vice. I usually use wood or old rags to protect the pulley. It doesn't take much pressure to hold it from turning, so no need to over tighten the vise. Aahh...the impact driver makes sense...an impact wrench usually makes quick work of little jobs like this nut.

OP
S

SteveBones

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
Thanks for the heads up on being careful with the vice. My father was a airplane mechanic in the Marines. When I was young he would always stress the importance of not over tightening. Great suggestions with the other options too. Thanks.

You do have to be careful if you use a vice. I usually use wood or old rags to protect the pulley. It doesn't take much pressure to hold it from turning, so no need to over tighten the vise. Aahh...the impact driver makes sense...an impact wrench usually makes quick work of little jobs like this nut.

Sarastro

Obi Wan
Silver
Country flag
You can get an electric impact gun. I think you will find that it's a worthwhile investment, and will do a lot to make working on these cars easier.

I have one of those things you hit with a hammer, and it is useful sometimes, but not even close to the gun.