• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Formula 1

pjsmetana

Jedi Warrior
So whats this I hear about maybe, next season, Aston Martin gracing F1 once more?

Also, who else is shocked that Jenson Button is siting fat on top with 31 points? I guess Honda pulling out of F1 was the best thing for his career... so far, anyways.

GeeBee1

Jedi Knight
Wow, that came out of left field.

It is definately an interesting season in the makings.

pat

Gray_Cat

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
I'm really enjoying the new F1 season - seeing Jenson Button coming out of nowhere basically to be number one (now anyway) and the usual contenders taking hind ti*!
Roy

Roger

Luke Skywalker
Bronze
Country flag
3798j said:
Careful now - Aston Martin has never participated in F1.

That's not quite right, either, Aston-Martin built a few F1 cars right at the end of the 2.5 litre formula - the 1959 DBR4/250. Unfortunately they were too late. If they'd come out 2 or 3 years earlier they might have been successful, but the rear-engined lightweight revolution had started and they were a failure.
Beautiful cars though, and I have seen them race in the UK, though often fitted with 3-litre engines.
There's one for sale if you want!

3798j

Darth Vader
Bronze
Country flag
Roger, Thanks for the correction. My apologies. And I agree, they were beautiful.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Gray_Cat said:
I'm really enjoying the new F1 season - seeing Jenson Button coming out of nowhere basically to be number one (now anyway) and the usual contenders taking hind ti*!
Roy

Hardly outta nowhere. He's been floggin' and flailin' inferior rides for a while now. He's finally got a car and team with the "right stuff".

V

vagt6

Somewhere, James Hunt is smilin'.

Good to see a Brit at the top again! :yesnod:

Michael Oritt

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
Pete--

You have a PM.

Gray_Cat

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
[/quoteHardly outta nowhere. He's been floggin' and flailin' inferior rides for a while now. He's finally got a car and team with the "right stuff". ]

Hey Doc - that's what I meant!
Roy :thumbsup:

Simon TR4a

Jedi Knight
It seems to me that Honda put a huge effort into this year's car (at the cost of doing very little development on last year's), and when they had a winner they sold the team to Brawn at a huge discount.
This means they got NO benefit for all their hard work as Brawn is not even using Honda power.
Certainly flatters Button, but he is not such a hot driver in my view: the car makes more difference. As evidence consider how often we see a "Noahs Ark" grid, with the cars lined up 2x2 or nearly so.
At least he stuck around long enough to get rewarded for his loyalty, remember Villeneuve was with BAR for their "wilderness years" but ended up regarded as a loser. Luck of the business, I suppose.
Red Bull has been very strong this year, too, I wonder how much has to do with their wind tunnel and how much to do with the talent of the drivers.

OP
pjsmetana

pjsmetana

Jedi Warrior
Simon TR4a said:
Certainly flatters Button, but he is not such a hot driver in my view: the car makes more difference.

I don't know... his team mate used to be on the heels of Michael Schumacher every race and now hes on the heels of Button. Granted I don't think Jenson Button is as good as Michal was but you can't really question this fact too much. To me, it says Button has talent.