• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Florida is intresting - Register your vehicle here

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
If you do not have a title it is ok. They have a procedure for that.

Three forms and a check by some lady to make sure it is safe. Hmm, blow the horn, run the wipers, turn signels etc I supose. Have it weighed and you are in business.

They don't even want to drive it or is the checker required to know anything about LBCs. I would just love to see her try to start a Bugeye. That's been lots of fun in the past.

saabmp3

Jedi Hopeful
Re: Florida is intresting - Register your vehicle

Yeah, if you're on the west coast, go up to WA state to register your healey. If you put it as a "classic" (I think that was the name) they give you a special plate for life, no inspection needed...ever and the driving restrictions are basically a big grey area (aka, no "commercial driving", no driving to work, milage restrictions which are all refuted later in the contract).

The one downfall is that I can't get vanity plates as a classic car. The upside is that if you find an orginal period plate, you can use that number and put that on the car.

It's about 5 bucks more to register, but it's a one time fee.

Ben

PS. Loving the project jlaird.

sparkydave

Jedi Knight
Country flag

Interesting how much disparity there is between the states. Here in Ohio, they don't even need to see the car at all to register it, unless it needs an emissions test. Then you just bring the certificate that says you passed the test to register. My Midget was exempt (thankfully!), so it never had to go to the BMV. Now my dad lives in PA, and I don't think he's been able to get plates for his '47 Lincoln. First they flagged him on having a tiny bit of seepage from the brake cylinders, since they actually take the wheels off and inspect the brakes. Then they wanted to run an emissions test on it. Yeah, right. I believe he told me later that it failed so badly they couldn't recalibrate their tailpipe sniffer. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/lol.gif Last I heard they finally came to their senses and realized that a 60-year old automobile is not going pass any emissions test, so they finally made older vehicles exempt, but he's been too busy to work on it as of late. Good luck on the rest of the project, Jack.

D

Deleted member 3577

Pennsylvania is a bit odd......

Every COUNTY has a lot of leeway in what they can require.

The state has an antique plate they will give you for a $75.00, one time fee.
No inspection & lifetime registration however, you have to submit 4 pictures proving that the car has been very properly restored/preserved.

I heard of one petition being rejected for having the wrong hubcaps. (can't swear to the truth of it, but it sounds like PennDOT)

My car was in the body shop when I applied, so I sent them 4 pictures of some car on the Internet. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

zimmy

Jedi Knight

arkansas-title or bill of sale+ insurance....
antique tags are supposedly $7 and u dont have
to assess it but once.....; )

Matthew E. Herd

Jedi Warrior

PENNDOT turned down my '71 IHC Scout 800B because it had "rust," "extra lighting," and "a bumper apparatus." This means it had the original paint with superficial rust on one quarter-panel above the gas filler neck (which I photoshopped out on a whim). The extra lighting and bumper apparatus was actually the plow hardware, installed within months of purchase. The original literature for the plow is in my glovebox, copyright 1969 ...

The car was purchased new by my grandfather from the IHC Dealer in Allentown and has <19,000 original miles on it. Give me a break! (I got it with the original tires too!) Yikes!

Turns out that instead of getting antique tags, the car's emissions exempt (thus only requiring a 27 dollar safety inspection and a 5 dollar emissions exempt sticker fee each year). Our regular insurance company charges about $300/year to insure it as it's our ... 5th? vehicle. It turns out that it isn't always better to get antique tags in PA. No restrictions on anything, and the cost is barely more than from an antique insurer.

leecreek

Jedi Warrior
Country flag

North Carolina---In the 2003-2004 Legislative Session, N.C. G.S. 20-20-183.2 was amended by adding a new subsection that became effective January 1, 2005:"(a1) Safety Inspection Exception.- Historic vehicles, as defined in G.S. 20-79.4(b)(17), shall not be subject to a safety inspection pursuant to this Article."

The section referenced above concerns specialty license tags, and defines a historic vehicle as "a motor vehicle that is at least 35 years old measured from the date of manufacture."

The upshot of this is that if your vehicle is 35 years old or older, you are exempt from annual safety inspections. As this is a brand-new law, it might be wise to carry a copy of the statute with you, since it is possible that not all law enforcement personnel are aware of the change.

Also, if you were not aware, N.C. G.S. 20-63(d) allows you to run a year-of-manufacture tag on your historic vehicle. The statute states that "any motor vehicle of the age of 35 years or more from the date of manufacture may bear the license plates of the year of manufacture instead of the current registration plates, if the current registration plates are maintained within the vehicle and produced upon the request of any person."

leecreek

mgblue79

Wisconsin collector (nd hobyist) plate restrictions do not allow operating the vehicle during the months of Dec. Jan. or Feb. Common sense says the same thing about driving a Spridget. Also, for each collector plate you can get a "collector special" which is an annually renewable plate with your collector #. On many occasions I have had my special run as the collector and been asked to explain why my 1992 Olds Cutlass/1975 Impala/1992 Geo Tracker came back as a stolen 1963 Cadillac De Ville. Duh. That's our tax dollars at work. Maybe some training on the law for those enforcing it...

wolfman

Florida - I do believe that is all entirely up to the Tag Office that you go into on that particular day. I have been trying to get one registered that had a storage lien title release on it. The last words from the tag office were "Not without a Judges Order."