• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Factory Bugeye top

ichthos

Darth Vader
Country flag
Hello,

I need some help/thoughts in two areas. I am getting to the end of my restoration on my 60 bugeye. I need more money to finish the paint job. Does anyone know the value of a factory hard top? Where I live now does not really lend itself to a hard top anyway. It still has the original glass, and the chrome was replated a few years ago. The rubber seals could probably use replacing at some point. The hard top has no damage except for a small 3/8" hole throught the top. There is no structural damage to the sides, which seemed to be typical when I was looking for a top. Some of the gel coat appears to have flaked off on the inside.

The second piece of information I need involves restoring the top? How easy is it to remove the rear window (so that I could apply a gel coat and paint it)? What would be involved in applying a new gel coat? How do you repair the small hole? If you were to sell this hard top, would you just be more inclined to sell it as is?

Any suggestions would greatly be appreciated.

Kevin

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Washington state doesn't lend itself to a hardtop?

Wait a few minutes & it'll start raining.....

Or snowing....

Or raining again....

Or Snowing...

Or...

bugimike

Yoda
/bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/lol.gif I had the same thought Tony!! /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

GB1

Yoda
Country flag
As I recall the back window removes and installs easily. I had mine done at a vette shop. The rear window condition is also another factor in the value of a top. Prices for one that you have described range from about $350 to $600 depending on how captive your audience is.

Pat

saabmp3

Jedi Hopeful
Tony,

As another Washington state resident (although I haven't spent much of the past 2 years there), I can agree with him that if you keep your car in the garage for 3 months (consecutive rain season), the roof is almost worthless. I spent a solid month parking my car outside, roof down, last summer without any problems. Occasionally I would put the car cover on, but just to hide my cheapo stereo.

Last year there were 2 or 3 days of snow and it literally shut the city down. Stand still. Nada. Nothing. It was amazing considering I grew up in the northeast with a bunch of bad weather.

Now, does anyone know if this will fit my 68 sprite?

RickB

Yoda
It really depends on whether or not you are talking daily driver year round. In the northwest from mid March thru October you can definitely get by with a soft top.

November thru February driving would require a very warm coat & gloves or a hard top (or both). At least where I live the temp sometimes goes into the below zero area, so I'm going to need the heater to work and most likely have to allow extra time every morning to warm the car up.

Since I intend to use mine to drive to - from work every day I jumped at the chance recently to get a hard top. I have very little space to store such a thing, but I feel it will be a necessity when the weather turns bad.

OP
I

ichthos

Darth Vader
Country flag
Hello,

Thanks for the information on the hard top so far. I know my comment may have not made sense to some of you on the practicality of a hard top, seeing as I live in WA state. As was mentioned the weather pattern around here is as follows: it starts to rain/snow in October, and doesn't stop until spring some time. There are a few breaks, and my wife plans on driving this car every day it is possible, nomatter what the temperature is (I have a TR6 I drive year round without a top as long as it is not raining; my wife freqently rides with me.) I am restoring this car for my wife, and there is no way I would want her on the freeway in that small of a car in that kind of weather. Also, I spent years restoring this car (I kind if got carried away with the restoration.) I want it to be a car that is driven, but not destroyed by weather or get in an accident. Bottom line is I have little money and I want to be able to put this car back together this winter.

Anybody else have comments on the restoration of this hard top? Thanks.

Kevin

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Well, if you don't want the Bugeye hardtop - I want it for my '63 Midget!

GB1

Yoda
Country flag
Tony, will that fit a '63? I thought that the back cut out was different and the rear roundness.

Pat

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Pat...you ARE right...completely different top!

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Don't think it will fit but give it a try tony.

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Nope, won't fit, Jack...you need it though!

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Not really Tony. I don't like the looks of them on a Bugeye. In fact I drove a Bugeye year around in Battlecreak MI with a vinyl top, never a prob at all. But then that was cold not rain, that could change everything.

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
I remember when I bought my '79 MGB new...salesman made me buy the hardtop ($50 special at the time)....glad I did & have been collecting factory hardtops for all my cars...to me, the hardtop raises the car's value to a collector....

I've got a hardtop for all my B's except 1 & a hardtop for all my Midgets except the '63....even have a hardtop for a '66 Midget but don't have a car to go under it - yet!

For the 1 MGB without a factory Hardtop, I have one of the original Sebring lightweight hardtops (1 guy can lift it on or off the car without effort)...but I'm still looking for another factory top!

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
But I care not what Miss Agatha is worth or costs. She is mine and will remain mine, my estate is going to have to cross that bridge.

bugimike

Yoda
I LIKE that attitude Jack /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/thumbsup.gif !!! My sentiments exactly!! My friends say they will probably bury me in it /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/jester.gif !!

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Naah, I will be setting under the awning behind the car forever though. Come on by and talk little cars or old times or BCF or what ever, pass me another cold one pls.

kcbugeye1275

Jedi Knight
I've wrestled with the "do I need a hardtop" question forever, and I still don't know if I need one. A few years ago I was with my son who bought a TR6 we restored and the person we bought it from had a BE hardtop in the same shop he sold to somebody else later. I kinda think it just isn't meant to be.

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
I'm actually glad the salesman wouldn't let me buy my '79 MGB without the hardtop though at the time I was sorta peeved....