• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

T-Series Etch prime after sandblasting wires?

KLUTZ

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
I am taking my Dunlop wire knockoffs to my Brother-in-law's today to sandblast them, to get the red paint off. When done, should I shoot them with etch primer or what?
I am not going to have them powdercoated. I will leave that up to whoever buys them from me.

Paul

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Absolutely some type primer even if just rattlecan.

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Nothing at all wrong with good rattle can etching primer. shrug.

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Actually, that's how I do wheels...Advance Auto has a wheel paint system that consists of primer, silver paint, clear coat....all the same brand, all designed to go together.

Country flag
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/iagree.gif

Most discussions of painting your car recommend using such a "system" that's designed o work together without one coat casuing problems with the others.

Bear in mind too that some primers are porous and rust can still get a start despite the part's being primed.

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
I can tell you what happens if yo use a different primer with their wheel paint - if bubbles!

OP
KLUTZ

KLUTZ

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
I got them done as best I could in the heat today. The compresser started acting up a bit too. There are a few spots that have to be gone over again, and I hope to get to that tomorow. There is one that was a bugger to get the primer off, and is sort of chippy. I may just take sandpaper to it instead of setting up the blaster again.
Here they are:

6082d2ce.jpg

018ba265.jpg

So, once I get the totally cleaned off, I will shoot them with the etch I have.

Thanks
Paul

Steve_S

Yoda
I just recently balsted and refinished the wheels on my TC. I used Duplicolor Self Etching Primer with good results and coated with Moss Silver.

vping

Yoda
Bronze
Country flag
I just did mine as well. I used Krylon Primer & Eastwoods British car silver. Dead match for the wheels on the TD. The Wires for my GT look Awesome!

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
"Rustoleum" used to have a silver that was a very close match to original too. No clue if they still do.