• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Electrics

ceedub

Country flag
Now that my engine rebuild was complete on my '73 'B, it was time to tackle the electrics. Upon attaching the battery terminals with the ignition in the off position, my first problem became obvious. The fuel pump started to operate, the red ignition light was lit and the radio came on. It was almost like the ignition switch was bypassed. I tested the continuity at the switch between the brown wire and the white wire and found that turning the ignition on and off interrupted that circuit so I concluded the the switch must be OK. I have a lot of lights that don't work but I think that most of those problems are probably plugs not connecting cleanly. Any comments on why the ignition light and fuel pump are operating with ignition off?

Kimberly

Jedi Trainee
Check to make sure the fuse box is orientated correctly. Look at a wiring diagram and you will see that the top two fuses are suppose to be internally bridged. If the box is installed upside down, you will have some of the problems you have described. Check all the wiring and connections under the hood to make sure nothing was damaged while the motor was installed. Use dielectric grease on all the connections to help prevent corrosion.

If you need one, a wiring diagram is available at https://www.advanceautowire.com. Make a couple of enlarged copies for yourself. One for reference and one to make notes on as you check the wiring.