• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

details details [1955 100/4]

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
I know nothing about A-H cars. But a couple questions for you experts on this one:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/301093476043

The interior door trim seems to have some problems, hinting at some quality issues. Also some "scraping" evidence and rusty patches underneath the car, and traces of old red paint on the frame, even tho' the description says the car was originally blue.

Is $42K a common selling price for a model/condition like this?

Thanks.
Tom

rjc157

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
To me that red seems like overspray to go from blue to red must have been a lot of work looks like their are some rust issues going on there the lines seem ok but the engine compartment seems to be painted black to get it to original would be a complete break down he's never going to get that price unless he gets an overseas buyer ,you have to remember these cars cost more to restore than what their worth

bighealeysource

Luke Skywalker
Bronze
Country flag
This one needs a lot of TLC. Could have actually painted the frame, etc red when color change was done or at least the easy areas to get like floor pans, sills or could just be a lot of overspray. But as rjc157 pointed out, engine compartment was painted black I assume when engine "came out" in 2002. Someone simply did not want to take the time and energy to strip out the engine compartment and paint it red to match the body so took the easy way out and went with black which hides a lot of sins. Door trim simply needs to be reglued to interior of the door so that's no big deal although those are the incorrect style door cards - should not have the upper portion covered like it is, pull strap should be red, lot of little details. Boot for 3 speed gear shift is obviously all messed up and doubt the portion underneath is done correctly. Gaps look pretty good, although think one door was out at bottom. But, like I said, with a good amount of TLC and $$$ could make this into a nice driver. Is $42,000 a good price, maybe not, but sure getting impossible to fine a 100 for much less unless it's a complete mess needing everything. Guess if drive train was good, brakes okay, the usual major items, you could put $5000 to $10000 into it and have that nice driver and be okay on your total investment and probably make money down the road if you sold it. Of course, this is assuming the paint done in 2002 is a decent paint job and chrome is not shot which hard to tell from pictures. I would definitely have it checked out by someone who knows Healey's prior to buying it.
Regards,
Mike

Country flag
Looks to be a reasonably straight car. Larger gaps at bottom of driver's side door indicate some body sag, which is to be expected. Driver's side floor pans are more rusted than passenger side; heat from exhaust maybe. Boot pan is nearly rusted through--would require replacement at some point. Boot seal is wrong--should be on lid not shroud. Note 'extra' oil pan cover brazed on--homemade skid shield or repair? Overall, not a bad car for its age, irregularities already cited notwithstanding. Overall condition similar to BN2/100M my dad bought that we're restoring. That car had front- and rear-end collision damage but besides that no big surprises. This car could be a decent driver, but would want to do frame-off resto at some point.

I'd pay $30K, tops.

TimK

Jedi Knight
Silver
Country flag
I have a 1960 BN7 3000. I converted it from blue to red and the frame looks very similar -- this one was Healey Blue. This is a solid car with some details needed. Probably has at least 116,000 miles, but engine was rebuilt? I'd put a value on mine between $30,000-$35,000. Not sure whether a 100 is more valuable than an early 3000. What else is available? How big a search have you done? Note the bumper is off in the pic with the trunk open. Will the trunk open with bumper on?

Healey 100

Jedi Warrior
Looks like a pretty solid 100 to me. No rust in the usual places, or expertly repaired. Panel fit and body work looks OK. That price is close to the going rate for these. Suggest you fly down and visit the car, what sort of value it is depends on how it drives and runs -- pretty much impossible to tell that without seeing the car in person.

HEALEYJAG

Jedi Warrior
Looks like a pretty solid 100 to me. No rust in the usual places, or expertly repaired. Panel fit and body work looks OK. That price is close to the going rate for these. Suggest you fly down and visit the car, what sort of value it is depends on how it drives and runs -- pretty much impossible to tell that without seeing the car in person.

Agree...pictures can be deceiving...people will spend 20G's on a non running 100, but will not consider a MUCH better car for a little more.

Pete

HEALEYJAG

Jedi Warrior

Agree...pictures can be deceiving...people will spend 20G's on a non running 100, but will not consider a MUCH better car for a little more.

Pete

Attachments

• DSCN0367.jpg
    DSCN0367.jpg
    197.8 KB · Views: 71