• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Coronet Cream

pan

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
The defence rests, m'lud.
(That "society woman" wasn't Kay 'Petre', was it?)
Alwyn

HealeyRick

Yoda
Silver
Country flag

Editor_Reid

Staff member
Platinum
Country flag
Still no primary source (a yahoo group isn't one, and the contemporary ad makes no mention of a coronation connection - just that Petre was picking colors).

That said, I sense that the "popular belief" (see "folklore") on this subject is strong enough that resistance is futile! Here's to Coronet Cream, inexplicably the only one of a range of colors offered by Austin in 1953 to commemorate the coronation of HRH Queen Elizabeth II. [And as they say in Wikipedia: "Citation needed"]

HealeyRick

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica]
A70-CREAM.jpg
CROSSWAY BUILT - KENNA A70 HEREFORD.
TO CELEBRATE THE CORONATION IN 1953 AUSTIN PRODUCED A RANGE OF COLOURS CALLED 'CORONATION COLOURS' ONE OF THESE WAS 'CORONET CREAM', WHICH WE HAVE REPLICATED HERE. A SMALL RUN OF 25 ONLY WILL BE PRODUCED.

[/FONT][/FONT]

drambuie

Jedi Warrior
Hi Rick,
I was just giving you a hard time about the cornet. Sorry, mate.
I have also heard about the impromptu car wash on the way to Buckingham Palace.
The Aston-Martin is still owned by Prince Charles, I believe it was used by Prince William for his honeymoon.

Somewhere in my faded memory bank I remember a photo taken of Prince Charles with if I remember correctly his personal Aston Martin near by. The photo captured Princess Diana sitting on the Bonnet and left wing, the photo also captured Prince Charles giving her a really nasty look as if to say...Get the **** off my Aston Martin! If I could dig the photo up I will post it.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    26.4 KB · Views: 100
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    43 KB · Views: 110

Editor_Reid

Staff member
Platinum
Country flag

HealeyRick

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
Somewhere in my faded memory bank I remember a photo taken of Prince Charles with if I remember correctly his personal Aston Martin near by. The photo captured Princess Diana sitting on the Bonnet and left wing, the photo also captured Prince Charles giving her a really nasty look as if to say...Get the **** off my Aston Martin! If I could dig the photo up I will post it.

Maybe this explains the "accident."

Rozzer

Freshman Member
Coming very late to this discussion (largely as I took a while to get registered on here!) but just to say I have a Coronet Cream BN1 car - only problem is she is a) in pieces and b) currently a rather nasty shade of green.
The first is due to having largely dismantled her to prepare her (she's called Gidget) for Peking to Paris in 2019. The second was done to her long before I bought her under a previous owner, who also managed to perpetrate some pretty amazing bush mechanics on here! More once I get to my home computer and I can give you the VIN and such details.....

Rozzer

Freshman Member
OK, according to the BMIHT Certificate (on which Body Number is 1360, Chassis Number is BN1-L/150638 and Engine Number is 1B/205414) my car was Coronet Cream with Red interior and Black hood; build date was 11 January 1954 and it was built as a LHD for the US market.

Some pics before I started the restoration and during.....

IMG_1497.jpg
IMG_1498.jpg
IMG_1503.jpg
176. 6 July 17.jpg
25. 13 June 17.jpg

Rozzer

Freshman Member
Thanks gents - not sure I am fully in love with the existing colour, but given most of the paint has been removed during the restoration, we will be respraying it anyway, and Coronet Cream is the choice. Hence I found this thread, looking for the colour code :smile:

HealeyRick

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
Another piece of evidence for the Queen Elizabeth's coronation connection to "Coronet Cream" gleaned from watching a PBS show on British dukes. In Britain, this is a coronet:

coronet.jpg

According to Wiki: "In the United Kingdom, a peer wears his or her coronet on one occasion only: for a royal coronation, when it is worn along with coronation robes, equally standardised as a luxurious uniform." (emphasis added)

I submit, your honor, that this incontrovertibly establishes the link between the coronation and Coronet Cream.