• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Chrome Schtuff from Moss Motors

ronzet

Jedi Knight
Good day all,

My '57 MGA is now ready for chrome schtuff. I have original bumpers that are in dire need of rechroming. I got a quote for $80 a foot. YIKES... thats about $400 for each bumper...

I am considering the purchase of after markets from Moss Motors but I am concerned about the quality.

Has anyone purchased bumpers form Moss and what is the quality???

BY THE WAY... Anyone know of a plating shop in SoCAL that does quality work at REASONABLE prices???

ALSO by the way... this query also appears in the AH forum for the 100-6 that I am restoring.

/bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/thankyousign.gif and /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/cheers.gif

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
I went with rechroming the front one and got the "new" rear. I'm now glad I kept the old rear bumper as it will get rechromed and replace the already PITTING Tiawanese counterfeit.

ccougill

Jedi Warrior
Plating has gotten way expensive as the EPA has run most platers out of business. Quality plating, as expensive as it is, is still the best choice for a classic auto.

OP
ronzet

ronzet

Jedi Knight
DrEntropy,

That's scarey...

Sooo, OK... 'penny wise and pound foolish'..

I have the bullet in my mouth and am bitting down on it..'bite the bullet'

Off to the chrome shop they go. Based on some feedback from the other forums, $80 per foot isn't so bad after all...The shop I will use comes highly recommended..

Will let you know./bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/rolleyes.gif

Thanks

OP
ronzet

ronzet

Jedi Knight
ccougill,

'tis all too true... /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/frown.gif

Thanks.

vping

Yoda
Bronze
Country flag
I'd keep the original bumpers and have em re-chromed. Even it it is more it is by far of superior quality to re-pro.

OP
ronzet

ronzet

Jedi Knight
Gentlemen,

As usual, you have all been a wealth of information.

I will 'bite the bullet' and re-chrome the originals. Fortunately they are all straight, unbent, and re-chromable...

Thanks again... /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/cheers.gif

Steve_S

Yoda
I'd keep the originals too, but repros are FAR cheaper. If you go repro, I'd consider buying the originals from you.

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Gotta ask: what's the car gonna be used for? Show? Rechrome. Daily driver? Buy the reproduction chrome.

OP
ronzet

ronzet

Jedi Knight
Tony,

Good question. My 'A' and the Healey are frame off restorations. I had originally intended Concours but, once I realized what the real commitment was for that level, I reduced both to Club Shows and ocassional driver levels.

However, I have spent SOOOOO much money to this point that spending a few extra dollars for the re-chroming seems to be an appropriate decision.

Any thoughts??

Thanks,

Ron

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
No matter how bad the bumpers are they can be fixed and rechromed. Read my lips, no matter how bad, even rust through.

OP
ronzet

ronzet

Jedi Knight
Jack,

I am not clear in what you really feel about this... /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smirk.gif

Done deal.. Rechrome it is... /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

Thanks, /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/cheers.gif

Ron

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
meh. Yeah, Jack can be a bit strident in his expression of opinion... unlike the REST of us demure and diplomatic folk. /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/devilgrin.gif

MWUHAAHAAHAAAA!!!!!

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Well, I have preaty strong opinions about after market metal unless it is done properly and that is hard to find. The best of course is NOS and that is really tough after 30 to 50 years.

OP
ronzet

ronzet

Jedi Knight
Jack,

We're just busting your chops... /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/cheers.gif

Your observations and opinions, strong or otherwise, are always appreciated and of value to us all.

Ron

billspohn

Jedi Knight
Country flag
tony barnhill said:
Gotta ask: what's the car gonna be used for? Show? Rechrome. Daily driver? Buy the reproduction chrome.

I'd qualify that. If you plan to own the car more than a couple of years, rechrome the originals.

Moss and the other suppliers have a lamentable record of supplying absolute garbage, interspersed with the odd decvent item - but you never know which you are goign to get. The chrome rusts within a relatively short time.

I have hopes that the new MGA grill may be of better quality - no, make that MUCH better quality than the cheap one, but I haven't seen one yet, have you?

OP
ronzet

ronzet

Jedi Knight
Bill,

I agree with you. /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/iagree.gif

Moss does a pretty good job all in all, but with questionable quality at times. We bought some miscellaneous chrome peices for the Healey (trunk hinges, etc) a year ago and they are already starting to pit... /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/rolleyes.gif

I have not actually seen the new MGA grille yet. Although Moss has been touting the virtues thereof in the catalog...The jury is still out for me.

As far as ownership... 'till I quite breathing then it goes to one of my kids. One gets the A and the other gets the B.. I'll let them fight over who gets what..

The Healey is owned by my business partner, although I have a whole lot more sweat equity in it than he does... /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smirk.gif

Lynn Kirkpatrick

Jedi Hopeful
A few years ago I bought a bumper over-rider because I thought plating was too pricey. Well, that replacement is now badly rusted and I just dropped the "original" at the platers.

Another thing that I noticed is the replacement wasn't the same shape as the original. It was a subtle difference, but I would imagine replacing a whole bumper with something that is cheaper to make could look pretty different.

And, some of those chromed screws that I bought at the same time are starting to look orange! Maybe I'll look for stainless ones.

OP
ronzet

ronzet

Jedi Knight
Lynn,

"The devil is in the detail" /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/devilgrin.gif

I had not thought about the carriage bolts for the bumpers!!! I guess that I should buy some new ones from Moss, et al, and then have them re-chromed as soon as I get them /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/rolleyes.gif...

I, too, just dropped off my original bumpers and other stuff for both my A and the AH at the platers today...

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
LOL, yep strong opinions on some things and orginal chrome parts is one of them.