• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

GT6 Call for help...missing GT6 frame measurements!

Flinkly

Jedi Trainee
so i replaced my badly repaired frame with an undamaged spit frame and knew i had to change some things over. I've removed my original radiator and overflow bottle mounts, rotoflex wishbone mount, and the bonnet hinge boxes. i'd looked over the manual several times, noting that there were millions of measurements i could use to put these on my new frame, but when the time came, i noticed that there are no measurements in my book for the bonnet hinge boxes.

So...anyone with a mk3 gt6 wanna make some measurements? it would be nice to have three or four, to get an averaged idea of placement. worst case scenario, i can try to guestimate placement when it comes time to reassemble (but i'd rather have measurements).

i was thinking of measuring the distance between the two inside edges (assuming parallel), distance from inside edge of hinge box to inside edge of main frame rail, and a height measurement to make sure i place them well vertically (but i'm not sure of a fixed datum that would be common accross all gt6's).

any help would be appreciated, like pointing out that there are in fact dimensions in the factory manual that i somehow overlooked in my fit of anger (angry at myself and the manual).

and yes, next time i won't assume (i hope...).

OP
F

Flinkly

Jedi Trainee
i know we don't have that many gt6 mk3's in attendance, but no answers? i expected at least a few comments. i've already sent a few private messages, but no one seems to check them. i guess i'll bump for a couple days and then take more drastic measures...

OP
F

Flinkly

Jedi Trainee
Right! Let the search for measurements be broadened!

also, if anyone wants to check a spitfire factory manual for chassis dimensions, everyone might be spared tedious hours of measuring.

Bugeye58

Yoda
I wonder if the MkI measurements would be the same? Probably not, but if they are, I can check mine.

Racing Girl has a MkIII GT6. Maybe if you sent her a PM?
Jeff

ozzie

Flinkly, as luck would have it Ive just finished priming and coating my MKIII frame. More than happy to take any and all measurements you need. Would have responded sooner but stupid job keeps getting in the way of more important things!
gt6rescue002-1.jpg

svtmikey

Jedi Trainee
Silver
Country flag
Did you ever get what you needed???
I've got a 69 GT6 + that is in the middle of a frame off, so I can't actually measure anything for you off an actual working car.
I do have the manuals on CDROM, so if there is soemthing I can try to look up for you I will be happy to.
My job too gets in the way so I can't check the forum very often, so sorry about the late response!
Let me know

Mikey

rotoflex

Jedi Trainee
Re: Call for help...missing GT6 frame measurements

Flinkly said:
i was thinking of measuring the distance between the two inside edges (assuming parallel),

24"

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:] distance from inside edge of hinge box to inside edge of main frame rail,[/QUOTE]

I found it easier to get a straight-across measurement to the outside edge of the frame rail: 2 3/8 "

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:] and a height measurement to make sure i place them well vertically (but i'm not sure of a fixed datum that would be common accross all gt6's).[/QUOTE]

Not sure exactly what to measure here.

Andrew Mace

Staff member
Country flag

Flinkly said:
...i was thinking of measuring the distance between the two inside edges (assuming parallel), distance from inside edge of hinge box to inside edge of main frame rail, and a height measurement to make sure i place them well vertically (but i'm not sure of a fixed datum that would be common accross all gt6's)....
aHA! Found some measurements in the Bentley version of the Factory Workshop Manual. These are Spitfire MkIV but should be the same.

There's nothing given for "between the two inside edges"; however, center-to-center measurement is 13.78" x 2 (find the exact center of the front crossmember if possible, since most such measurements seem to be given from that centerpoint). Outside-to-outside is 14.56" x 2.

Near as I can tell, height -- from the bottom of the box (and bottom of the crossmember?) to the top of that part of the box that juts out -- is 5.32" more or less. This last measurement is a bit harder to specify, since it's actually measured from an imaginary "YY" horizontal line from front to rear of chassis...which would make much more sense if you saw the diagram or if I had a scanner to show it to you!

Does that help?

OP
F

Flinkly

Jedi Trainee

well, i hate to say it, but when i went to weld things together this weekend, i found one more problem, measurement number 68 is missing from the factory manual.

for all those that have no idea what i'm talking about, number 68 locates my rear rotoflex wishbone bracket. anyone want to help with that one? i need to grind some material off the brackets to get them to fit around my chassis, but can someone measure how far the bottom part of the bracket is from the chassis and a measurement from the bracket to the rear shock tower?

i'm sorry for screwing up so bad so that you guys have to measure parts for me...i feel like i'm building my arcade cabinet all over again (long story involving dimensions...).

oh, and thanks for all the measurements so far, you guys are awesome. maybe i should start shipping beer accross the country since i can't buy you all drinks...

Dennis

Jedi Hopeful

Hi,
Looking at my manual the dimensions for number 68 is 5.58 5.64 inches or 14.17 14.33 cm. I'll crawl under my mk iii later on to confirm that. 68 shows to be from the back side (measuring from the inside of it) of the bracket to the backside of the tower. Just to confirm we're talking about the right 68. Your second request has me a little confused, I'll need a little help there but I'm willing to measure it for you.
Dennis

Dennis

Jedi Hopeful

Hi,
I did a quick measurement, to correct the above it's measured to point E. Mine is about 5.6 inches so it falls into spec.
Dennis

OP
F

Flinkly

Jedi Trainee

Actually, my factory manual covers the vitesse and gt6 and it turns out that the vitesse is almost the same chassis as the spitfire and the gt6. the manual gives seperate frame dimensions for it and covers the rear wishbone mounts. so i think i'm covered with the information provided here and in the book.

learned a few other things today too...strange what you learn when you have a few hours to spend reading the back of the factory manual(back sections, i've always just read the engine and suspension sections).

ozzie

Hey Flinky, how about some pics when you get all the frame parts welded back on?

OP
F

Flinkly

Jedi Trainee

ask, and you shall recieve.

on my poorly done website linked to in my signature, #'s 61-68 are from this weekend, mostly of the frame and my new found ability to weld with an arc welder. i started with the radiator mounts, and in hindsight, i should have started in a less seen spot, but i got really good by the time i finished those rear wishbone mounts.

also, i found a couple differences in measurements from the manual, but seeing as how it lacked quite a few measurements to begin with, i wasn't suprised. i just hope i'm not suprised when i start putting all this together...