• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Bugeye spares supplies for a cross country trip?

ichthos

Darth Vader
Country flag
I made a made a cross country trip a couple of summers ago with my TR6, and I am hoping to do the same with my Bugeye this summer. Anyone have a list of what they would bring for spares?

Kevin

leecreek

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
My list starts with fan belt, throttle cable and ignition spares. And grows larger as I get older.

mrsprite

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
In no particular order:

Points, distributor cap & rotor, fan belt, dashpot oil, motor oil, spark plugs, plug wires, tools, jack, lug wrench, spare tire (although I never carry one), brake fluid, jumper cables, antifreeze & maybe a 1 gal gas can (filled, of course!).

You can probably get by without most of this list.....it depends on the condition of your car and your luck (or lack thereof) on roadtrips. While I have a non-Spridget engine in my Bugeye, I have driven cross country many times and never had a flat or any major mechanical issues. I did spring a decent oil leak once and cheap gas station oil in the middle of nowhere runs $4-$5/quart, so I always bring some with me now.

spritenut

Luke Skywalker
I carry way too many spares.
But as long as I carry them, I never need any of them.
A spare dizzy with cap and wires ready to drop in.
Spark plugs (2 sets)
1 rear wheel cylinder,
clutch slave kit
fan belt
timing belt (I have a belt driven cam)
Su float needle kits
pair of radiator hoses
throttle cable
spare axle strapped to the inside of the front wheel well 9snap 1 away from home)
wheel bearing kit
rear axle O ring and gasket (for that snapped axle)
1 front brake hose (if you ever had one burst, you'll understand)
Head gasket set (again, blow one 8 hrs from home)
Misc nuts and bolts, wire, and tools.

All in 1 bag and I just toss it in what ever Sprite I am taking for more than a 3 hour trip.

Sarastro

Obi Wan
Silver
Country flag
It's really common to snap original bugeye axles. They just weren't made strong enough. It's a good idea to use ones from a later Spridget.

My only suggestion is to drive it a lot before you set out to go far from home--get all the kinks out of it.

OP
I

ichthos

Darth Vader
Country flag
I did the same thing on my TR6. It was an eye opener every time I drove it a little farther. By the time I made my cross country trip, I was well prepared. Is buying a used axle good enough?
Kevin

RickB

Yoda
I'd say if you are bringing an axle then bring everything you would need to replace it including any new seals and bearings etc... Not to mention the tools...

spritenut

Luke Skywalker
If I am going 1/2 way across the country, it's probably for a Spridget meet and there most likely will be an autocross. That's where I snapped one of my axles, and I never left the start line!
As I found a concrete block to use as a jack stand, my buddy drove 1 hour to Delaware to buy a junk yard axle, by the time he came back, I was more than ready to install it.
a few minutes later, the car was in the show field. But I missed the autocross. and ever since then, there has been a spare axle in all my Sprites.

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
paulsherman said:
Duct tape and cell phne

and CAA. Judging by my time on this board, broken axles are comparatively rare - more so when "spirited driving" and racing are excluded.

nomad

Yoda
Duct tape cell phone AND AAA card, vice grip, plier, screw driver [philips and straight], baling wire.
Consider having to do ignition points and condenser as well if you are still running them or for spare if you electronic fails.
List of members or clubs might come in handy though internet could get that up for you in a pinch.
Kurt.

Pythias

Jedi Knight
Country flag
ichthos said:
I made a made a cross country trip a couple of summers ago with my TR6, and I am hoping to do the same with my Bugeye this summer. Anyone have a list of what they would bring for spares?

Kevin

Does this mean that you are thinking of making the trek to Wisconsin this summer? We will be having a meeting of those from the northwest who are going this Saturday. Hope to see you there.

OP
I

ichthos

Darth Vader
Country flag
I wish I could, but I am sort of going in the opposite direction. My cross country trip in the TR6 followed a northern route through Idaho, Montana, and so on to Ohio and then down to Missouri. This year I am hoping to visit my brother, so I will be heading south through California and then east. Not sure if the Bugeye will be proven road worthy by then anyway.

Kevin