• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

BugEye Original Hardtops

twas_brillig

Jedi Knight
Country flag
I've got two (what I believe are) original Sprite hardtops, and need some parts advice.

Questions:
1 - one is white; one is black (I'm thinking painted by an owner); were colours an option?
2 - the weatherstripping around the sidecurtain areas is missing on one hardtop; and the other has one complete and one damaged. Suggestions as to where to get the weatherstripping for the doors? for the rear body to top seal?
3 - I'm also missing one of the 'clamp levers' that hooked the hardtop to the front windscreen. Suggestions as to sourcing one?

And how doth one tell if they are original?

Thanks,

Doug
PS: both tops were picked up sometime in the 70s; the rear windows are good; the fibreglas looks good; I've never mounted them; they've been hanging from the roof of the garage for some 30 years

OP
T

twas_brillig

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Hmmm - I should have done a google search to start off with...

A chap in Toronto has a somewhat tired BE hardtop for sale (2 days 18 hours remaining); it looks like the ones we have, and his ad advises:

"All new rubber gaskets and hardware are available from AHspares or from www.macgregorukcarparts.com
The front clips and rear plexiglass are available from Frogeye Spares in England"

Further wisdom/confirmation welcome!

Doug

paulsherman

Jedi Trainee
I bought my clamps from a guy in or near Salem Oregon as I recall. I think he was going out of business but still had clamps available. I will search for his name, but maybe others will remember. I might suggest going to the Yahoo Bugeye site and search.

paulsherman

Jedi Trainee
Doug;
You will not believe this but I found what you are looking for. I can not believe it either. First send me your e-mail address at mine: montpaul@msn.com and I will send you an article written by Roger Moment and sent to me or posted by Bob in Troutdale Oregon. It is all of the info. you will need. The guy with the clamps name is Rex Urban in Salem OR.

OP
T

twas_brillig

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Thanks Paul - just fired off an e-mail. Also, I had a look in Terry Horlerā€™s book (ā€œOriginal Sprite & Midget ā€“ The Restorerā€™s Guideā€) and picked up this info:
Healey offered a hard top first. Both the Healey hardtop and the subsequent BMC hardtop had extremely similar styling but the Healey hard top ā€˜cut-outā€™ for the sidescreens was significantly taller, and required correspondingly taller sidescreens. Both the Healey and BMC hardtops ā€œcarried a number in the right-hand sidescreen window edge.ā€ Looking at the pictures in Horlerā€™s book, there appears to be an additional line formed into the fibreglas and paralleling the sidescreen opening on the BMC hardtop but not on the Healey top. I didn't note any comments on colours, but his pictures were of white only hardtops.

It looks like I have two of the BMC hardtops, but I couldnā€™t find any serial numbers. Anyone out there can advice where to find these numbers?

Doug

apbos

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Doug
On the flat steel plate used to attach the the J-hook bracket to the hardtop.

Paul

apbos

Jedi Knight
Country flag
P.S. Tony & Doc helped me with my hardtop restoration. Something I will always remember Tony for.... BCF hardtop restoration I did paint it with a roller and Poly U Interlux Brightside boat paint. Cost about $125 to get it repaired!

3385568899_73e753224e_o.jpg

OP
T

twas_brillig

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Thanks for the direction Paul. Just had a look but couldn't see anything - and there's too much 'stuff' stacked up underneath to lower the tops down and have a better look, so it'll be a month or so.

Which means plenty of time to try sourcing the missing bits!

Doug

paulsherman

Jedi Trainee
FYI:
I bought some paint stripper from an auto paint supplier that was formulated for fiberglass stripping. Was told people have used it on f'glass Corvettes and boats. I have not started project yet as I am waiting for a little warmer weather. Later today I will post the product name for everyone.

Happy Spring

paulsherman

Jedi Trainee
Stripping Fiberglass top;
The stuff I purchased to do the stripping is: Captain Lee's AUTO SPRA'-STRIP.
I have not begin and probably will not for a month or so. Was told this is the answer.