• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

BE bodywork question - inside/fwd hood brace[?]

livinginthepast

Jedi Trainee
I don't know the name of this particular boxed/bracing setup (maybe y'all can edumacate me?). It seems to provide structural support to the front of the bonnet. As you can see from the picture, my car was hit at some point in its life and this brace was buckled.

For you body and paint guys - how would you go about fixing this?

Other than a couple of body and paint vids I've watched, I know very little about what should be done in a situation like this. Can it be easily cleaned up/repaired? Should a new one be fabricated? or is this piece available somewhere (I didn't see it at Moss or VicBrit)? Thanks for you input!

4570753011_77015476ef.jpg

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Welll. you could straighten it up best as you can and forget it. I think it directs air flow to the radiator.

Country flag
Be careful if you decide to straighten it. The metal has stretched and if you force it back to shape it may push out and mess up exterior finish. I'd leave it alone until I was prepared to repaint the car.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
I see a welder in your future, Bill. :wink:

OP
livinginthepast

livinginthepast

Jedi Trainee
Trevor Jessie said:
Be careful if you decide to straighten it. The metal has stretched and if you force it back to shape it may push out and mess up exterior finish. I'd leave it alone until I was prepared to repaint the car.

Yeah, right now I'm just continuing a sort of an informal needs assessment on the car, building a spreadsheet and project plan. I started this last fall but then set it aside...

I'd like to do the body within the next couple years and I'm making a list of issues, fixes and tools needs so that I can prepare. (You see, I have this radical notion that I'm going to teach myself to do this stuff...)

So far, the biggest issues with the body are all the superfluous holes that people have drilled for antennas and mirrors (so I'll need a welder and some practice filling holes), and two hits - one in the front (resulting in the damage in the pic and a very, very slight buckle in the driver's side front wheel well), and the other in the back of the car, where there are small vertical creases on either side of the license plate "furrow."

thx!

OP
livinginthepast

livinginthepast

Jedi Trainee
DrEntropy said:
I see a welder in your future, Bill. :wink:

That's what I was thinking. Not only for this, but for all the superfluous holes in the body.... Drill happy POs....sheesh.

But does that mean fabrication of a new 'box', or is this a bit that can be picked up somewhere?
thx!

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
That part is not available as far as I know. Might find it on anotherwise destroyed bonnett.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
...and a sheetmetal brake. :laugh:

Country flag
livinginthepast said:
Trevor Jessie said:
.....building a spreadsheet and project plan.
Are you SURE you want to do this??! As they say - "ignorance is bliss" and "what <they> don't know won't hurt you". :laugh:
Whatever the results of the spreadsheet are, DOUBLE it and what ever the Project Plan comes out to, TRIPLE it.....or so I've heard.

OP
livinginthepast

livinginthepast

Jedi Trainee
Silverghost said:
livinginthepast said:
Trevor Jessie said:
.....building a spreadsheet and project plan.
Are you SURE you want to do this??! As they say - "ignorance is bliss" and "what <they> don't know won't hurt you". :laugh:
Whatever the results of the spreadsheet are, DOUBLE it and what ever the Project Plan comes out to, TRIPLE it.....or so I've heard.

Now don't go and scare me away - I need this project to keep me distracted from all the other doubling and tripling of life's various spreadsheets.

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
livinginthepast said:
Now don't go and scare me away - I need this project to keep me distracted from all the other doubling and tripling of life's various spreadsheets.
:iagree:

amen to that - go for it, still some of the cheapest therapy out there.

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Not meant to scare, just to instruct. A project plan is great for keeping on task; I used one when working on the Tunebug. Just don't expect any time or money plans to stay on budget.

I've got training as a bookkeeper, and keep my family finances accurate to the penny. When it comes to the old car, though, I don't keep track. I have all the receipts and could add them up, but I've specifically chosen not to. Much happier that way -- the money and time constraints were not important, enjoying the process *was*.

OP
livinginthepast

livinginthepast

Jedi Trainee
drooartz said:
I have all the receipts and could add them up, but I've specifically chosen not to. Much happier that way -- the money and time constraints were not important, enjoying the process *was*.

Yup, I understand this completely. :smile:

I know that someday my wife will ask me, "how much have you spent on that thing?"

It's the day I dread the most. A day of grim reckoning.

My answer will probably be something like, "does it really matter? Let's go for a ride!"

And then I'll hope like crazy that the car starts. :smile:

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Well said, Bill. This is a hobby, after all.

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
livinginthepast said:
I know that someday my wife will ask me, "how much have you spent on that thing?"

It's the day I dread the most. A day of grim reckoning.

When I got Ms Triss, my wife promised herself she would never ask - she hasn't and I haven't added it up - good woman that.

That being said, someone here calculated about $100 month - they weren't far off.

Jim_Gruber

Yoda
Country flag
You know J.P. yep that's about what she spends on what I consider no essential stuff around our house. I figure we're even with what she puts into flowers and green things every year. She can't complain about my tinkering.

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
Jim_Gruber said:
You know J.P. yep that's about what she spends on what I consider no essential stuff around our house. I figure we're even with what she puts into flowers and green things every year. She can't complain about my tinkering.

actually as much as SWMBO mocks me - she doesn't mind at all - recognizes the value both to my mental health, and thus to my marriage.

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
I have never been asked either. The only question I get is "is that good enough for Miss Agatha". Course I been married to this lady for 50 years.